Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2014, 07:55 AM

20 posts, read 41,656 times

Advertisements

Gatorbyter - It looks beautiful! We, too, are building with Logan and are doing brick. We leave CT in 1 month, renting a town home in SJ during construction. Supposed to break ground mid-October and we hope to be in by April. Looking forward to getting to know SJ and, hopefully some people from the forum once we get down there. Best of luck and hope all continues to go well and on time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 09:09 AM

8,384 posts, read 4,369,703 times
As far as SJP being remote:

The biggest pain I see is getting from the house to the front gate.

To put this in my own perspective, I have never liked living in high traffic cities. For about 30 years the wife and I lived in a small town about 20 miles north of Raleigh NC. Our work commute took generally took us down country roads and over local lakes where traffic was minimal. We each commuted about 20 miles one way and it took about 30 minuets. When we first moved in that area, if we wanted to go to a movie or mall, we had to drive the 20 miles into Raleigh. When we sold and moved east to the coast, the area had grown a great deal and shopping and movies were closer. Bottom line is, a 30 minute commute to work or town, covering 30 miles was something we did almost every day for many years.

Now, from SJP, a 30 minute commute will almost put you in down town Wilmington. Half that will put you in Southport proper. Double it (1 hour or so) and you can be in Myrtle Beach. From Southport you can ferry to Baldhead Island for the day or you can ferry to Fort Fisher and visit Carolina Beach or go into Wilmington the "back way."

In addition, take into consideration, this is retirement! So, its gonna take 15-30 minutes to go to town! What else are you going to do?

Now, for those "urgent" needs like milk, bread WINE and BEER .... well ... Tommy Thompson's keeps a good supply of the essentials for boaters and the community at decent prices. Depending on where you live in SJP, Tommy's or Wallmart may be closer. From the SJP front gate, a Wallmart Supercenter is less than 3 miles.

When its all said and done, I don't think SJP is remote. The Australian outback it remote. Alaska is remote. Now I know some people want to walk out their front door, get on the elevator and when they get out of the elevator they want to be in the mall. If so, maybe SJP is not for you.

Medical facilities are not too far. Dosher is a small hospital in Southport. Brunswick Medical Center is a bit bigger on 17. New Hanover is in Wilmington. If necessary, a helicopter can get you to Duke or UNC, some of the best hospitals in the country, in short order.

To me SJP is just far enough off the beaten path to be quaint. Its nice to be able to enjoy preserved wetlands and the coastal environment without the in your face neon of the larger tourist areas and malls while at the same time being close enough to those too if you want to see a show or need to see a doctor.

To be honest, a number of areas in Brunswick County fit this description and SJP may not be for you. But if you enjoy Southern hospitality, your tea sweet and your local accent sweeter and some of the most beautiful coastline in the US ... NC just may be the place for you. Just get used to "yall" and its plural "all yall" and before you know it you will know the difference between "over yonder" and "a fur piece."

Old 09-10-2014, 09:15 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,504,311 times
Mr Purple,

As we were staying in Sunset Beach we headed north on 17 and made the right hand turn on 211 and our first stop was Winding River. Prior to the trip I thought WR could be a option as well. Well, the Wifecerous did not like it for some reason. Thought the Community area pool was small and would be a pretty long ride to the ocean in Holden Beach and to the town of Southport compared to SJP. I was a little dissapointed that she was dissapointed as I can live anywhere but at the end of the day she did not like it.

I also think if we were with a realtor who was able to show us some homes that would have possibly changed her mind but as I said earlier I can live anywhere down there.

J/F

Old 09-10-2014, 09:24 AM

Very well stated Ditch, for all the reasons you mention is why this will be our future home. Actually just last night had conference call with my financial advisor and he asked me "why am I still working". I guess the financial questions I had he pretty much felt were not issues so now the ball is in my court to "pull the trigger".

I swear if I didn't know better I would have thought your comments were written by our buddy Stoney....
I miss Stoney and his NJ wit. Hope to meet him one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
As far as SJP being remote:

The biggest pain I see is getting from the house to the front gate.

To put this in my own perspective, I have never liked living in high traffic cities. For about 30 years the wife and I lived in a small town about 20 miles north of Raleigh NC. Our work commute took generally took us down country roads and over local lakes where traffic was minimal. We each commuted about 20 miles one way and it took about 30 minuets. When we first moved in that area, if we wanted to go to a movie or mall, we had to drive the 20 miles into Raleigh. When we sold and moved east to the coast, the area had grown a great deal and shopping and movies were closer. Bottom line is, a 30 minute commute to work or town, covering 30 miles was something we did almost every day for many years.

Now, from SJP, a 30 minute commute will almost put you in down town Wilmington. Half that will put you in Southport proper. Double it (1 hour or so) and you can be in Myrtle Beach. From Southport you can ferry to Baldhead Island for the day or you can ferry to Fort Fisher and visit Carolina Beach or go into Wilmington the "back way."

In addition, take into consideration, this is retirement! So, its gonna take 15-30 minutes to go to town! What else are you going to do?

Now, for those "urgent" needs like milk, bread WINE and BEER .... well ... Tommy Thompson's keeps a good supply of the essentials for boaters and the community at decent prices. Depending on where you live in SJP, Tommy's or Wallmart may be closer. From the SJP front gate, a Wallmart Supercenter is less than 3 miles.

When its all said and done, I don't think SJP is remote. The Australian outback it remote. Alaska is remote. Now I know some people want to walk out their front door, get on the elevator and when they get out of the elevator they want to be in the mall. If so, maybe SJP is not for you.

Medical facilities are not too far. Dosher is a small hospital in Southport. Brunswick Medical Center is a bit bigger on 17. New Hanover is in Wilmington. If necessary, a helicopter can get you to Duke or UNC, some of the best hospitals in the country, in short order.

To me SJP is just far enough off the beaten path to be quaint. Its nice to be able to enjoy preserved wetlands and the coastal environment without the in your face neon of the larger tourist areas and malls while at the same time being close enough to those too if you want to see a show or need to see a doctor.

To be honest, a number of areas in Brunswick County fit this description and SJP may not be for you. But if you enjoy Southern hospitality, your tea sweet and your local accent sweeter and some of the most beautiful coastline in the US ... NC just may be the place for you. Just get used to "yall" and its plural "all yall" and before you know it you will know the difference between "over yonder" and "a fur piece."

Old 09-10-2014, 10:26 AM

14 posts, read 26,219 times
Gaytorbyter, I have been following this forum. Nice house and good luck with it. Wife & I are planning a visit in the spring and SJP will be one of the places we visit. We are both retired 65+ and looking to retire out of high taxed Westchester County New York. Can you tell me if SJP has activities (trips,ect.) for seniors and an active senior population. Also, when I see new homes in SJP advertised (usually by realtors), is the land included or is it extra? Our budget will be $275,000 to max $375,000 and single level 3+ bedrooms. Thank you.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:03 AM

300 posts, read 476,142 times
biscman.

I had the same problem with my wife about SJP, she hated it from the get go. I couldn't change her mind after looking at lots and houses in SJP.

FWIW, Holden Beach is only about 10 to 15 minutes from WRP to the WRP Beach House . We found the back way to Holden Beach after asking some "locals". We don't have to use US 17 or go though Shallotte to get to Holden Beach. There is also the option of taking the boat from WRP dock on the river to their dock at Holden Beach.

Good luck in search for a home.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:09 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdro View Post
Also, when I see new homes in SJP advertised (usually by realtors), is the land included or is it extra? Our budget will be $275,000 to max $375,000 and single level 3+ bedrooms.
The answer depends on the builder. Logan and others will build on a lot you purchase. They quote prices of $215-504K as home only here: http://www.loganhomes.com/st.-james---players-club

Some builders build spec homes and the price includes the lot.

Given your max price, I suggest also looking at resale homes for a better price per square foot. Please check the St James Plantation web site for listings as well as the usual Realtor sites.

There is certainly a active senior population. The clubs are here: http://www.stjamesplantation.com/lif.../social-clubs/
Brunswick County also sponsors senior activities including day trips: http://www.brunswickcountync.gov/Dep...5Programs.aspx

Last edited by goldenage1; 09-10-2014 at 11:30 AM..

Old 09-10-2014, 02:17 PM

605 posts, read 1,259,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post
Welcome aboard Ditch.

Was on vacation last week with wife and my adult children who live in Charlotte who joined us at the house I rented at Sunset Beach. A very interesting weekend to say the least. Although I have been very impressed with the SJP world I never drove past the entrance on 211. I was actually concerned of the remoteness as all i saw was the 14 mile drive from 17 to the entrance. As such i was leaning toward Ocean Ridge Plantation. So I said to my wife just for kicks lets stay on 211 and see where Southport is. Low and behold 211 takes us right in to the village of Southport. We felt what a great little town to be able to live near as we didn't feel Calabash was the same as southport.

So now we have put SJP back as option 1...... We are definitely looking forward to getting out of NJ and down to the NC coast for good.

By the way, they are prediction this winter will be worse than last years winter up here. Too old for this weather and 1 1/2 hr commute to Wall street every day.....
Biscman! I hear ya!! I have a long commute, too, South Jersey to Princeton every day. ugh.....We have our lot in Ocean Ridge but good friends are in SJP - gorgeous place and I agree I love Southport!!!!

Old 09-10-2014, 03:05 PM

Mr P

She like SJP, it was Winding River she didn't like......

Personall I like em all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Purple 2 View Post
biscman.

I had the same problem with my wife about SJP, she hated it from the get go. I couldn't change her mind after looking at lots and houses in SJP.

FWIW, Holden Beach is only about 10 to 15 minutes from WRP to the WRP Beach House . We found the back way to Holden Beach after asking some "locals". We don't have to use US 17 or go though Shallotte to get to Holden Beach. There is also the option of taking the boat from WRP dock on the river to their dock at Holden Beach.

Good luck in search for a home.

Old 09-10-2014, 03:06 PM

I love Ocean Ridge too

Sunset Beach my favorite beach down there.............

Quote:
Originally Posted by missynancy View Post
Biscman! I hear ya!! I have a long commute, too, South Jersey to Princeton every day. ugh.....We have our lot in Ocean Ridge but good friends are in SJP - gorgeous place and I agree I love Southport!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina