Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2016, 04:15 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratePanther189 View Post
Those are sites that have received the designation to allow Millennial land use by the state, but not necessarily what ECU will be using -- at least immediately.

For the next decade give or take, they'll be focusing solely on the Warehouse district and their downtown land use.

Who knows what happens with the Charles Blvd. area long-term, though.
As I stated, I think on campus housing will occur there. College Hill is finished and the West end towers are being re-done now, when those are finished I think you see a Master Plan come out with mixed use campus housing using student fee's to pay for it. May be 5 years before we see that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 08:06 AM

455 posts, read 528,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratePanther189 View Post
Those are sites that have received the designation to allow Millennial land use by the state, but not necessarily what ECU will be using -- at least immediately.

For the next decade give or take, they'll be focusing solely on the Warehouse district and their downtown land use.

Who knows what happens with the Charles Blvd. area long-term, though.
Very true, but planning is not solely a here and now venture. If ECU and Brody Co are smart they'll think long term and what is smart for a decade or two or three from now. Planning without an eye to the future leads to results like the convention center being put on Gville boulevard, sandwiched between two hotels with nothing for visitors to do within walking distance....

Old 08-11-2016, 01:31 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,598,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
As I stated, I think on campus housing will occur there. College Hill is finished and the West end towers are being re-done now, when those are finished I think you see a Master Plan come out with mixed use campus housing using student fee's to pay for it. May be 5 years before we see that.
Housing for athletes? That's a long damn way from the main campus

Old 08-11-2016, 10:01 PM

181 posts, read 241,178 times
Quote:
One would hope that some of that land downtown would be used for housing, closer to the river.

I think that ECU will eventually utilize that Millennial designation for what it's meant for.

Many don't realize how incredibly huge it is to have Millennial (previously called Centennial) designation. With it, ECU can lease the land to private companies (most people know that part). What people don't realize, though, is that without it, they are restricted by law from doing so.

It's a huge luxury.

Whoever said it above, though, about working with Brody Co, I agree.

That statement to the UNC BOG talks about that area eventually turning into a "North Hills"-type Live, Work, Play area. If Brody Co. speeds up the process of developing that area past just the new Publix shopping center, you may see ECU turn toward putting together some projects in the area sooner than later.

I don't think it'll be academic related though. Based on that statement about North Hills, I think that area is going to be reserved for private offices. Could be wrong though. In my opinion, also gotta think there's gonna be a hotel out there. I'm thinking 10+ years in the future, though.

I think it's definitely safe to say that the 2 sides have a vision for what they want to see around there.

I also think it's safe to say that the 2 sides are also in close contact with the owner/developer of the Greenville Mall for a long-term plan.

Old 08-12-2016, 07:32 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times
Haven't seen any plans for downtown housing by ECU, but we are seeing a whole bunch of private market housing downtown.
Plans we have seen downtown include a Performing Arts Center, an Administrative building or two and the hotel/alumni center...as well as parking. Also renovating the Attic building into office space.

Blount/Stratford is scheduled for mixed use, which means housing...so, yes kids would have to ride the bus to campus, but this just makes sense in terms of ECU's long term housing needs and is easy walking distance to all of the athletic facilities. It can be THAT link from all of the Gville Blvd business to the athletic complex. I think its a ways off because downtown is the focus right now, but I think it is an idea that makes so much sense in the long term.

Old 08-12-2016, 10:50 AM

181 posts, read 241,178 times
Quote:
Haven't seen any plans for downtown housing by ECU, but we are seeing a whole bunch of private market housing downtown.
Plans we have seen downtown include a Performing Arts Center, an Administrative building or two and the hotel/alumni center...as well as parking. Also renovating the Attic building into office space.

Blount/Stratford is scheduled for mixed use, which means housing...so, yes kids would have to ride the bus to campus, but this just makes sense in terms of ECU's long term housing needs and is easy walking distance to all of the athletic facilities. It can be THAT link from all of the Gville Blvd business to the athletic complex. I think its a ways off because downtown is the focus right now, but I think it is an idea that makes so much sense in the long term.
Look at the University's master plan, you'll then see what was put forth to them to do downtown. That includes downtown housing.

Old 08-13-2016, 08:26 AM

112 posts, read 136,339 times
K Mart is going on the ground today!

Old 08-13-2016, 11:38 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,260,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beasty Drummer View Post
K Mart is going on the ground today!
You won't be missed!

Old 08-15-2016, 10:49 AM

26 posts, read 25,499 times
Quote:

Blount/Stratford is scheduled for mixed use, which means housing...so, yes kids would have to ride the bus to campus,
8 minutes by bike from Stratford Arms to the Cupola. Maybe 10, if you're hung over. The Master Plan calls for a bike/ped bridge over the railroad between the stadium and the Gateway dorms, which would simplify the connection a little bit.

Old 08-15-2016, 12:13 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,876 times
Greenville residents want more boat ramp access.

Quote:
GREENVILLE, N.C. (WNCT) – Greenville residents are working to get additional boat ramps in the city due to safety concerns.

There are only a few boat ramps in Greenville, making it difficult and time consuming to bring boats into the Tar River.

“It’s a little congested there especially when people are fishing, it could be better,” said Ricky Cooke, who uses the Town Commons’ boat access often.

Cooke and other Greenville residents said traffic throughout the summer has created safety issues.

“Sometimes, especially around the holidays, it gets a little crowded getting on the boat ramp, you know to take turns and just kind of prolongs the activity of getting in the water,” said Greenville resident Randa Claierone.

Knee Deep Adventures Owner Kelsey Curtis brings her customers out on the river every week. She said the issues with the boat ramp go further than the eye can see.

“Unfortunately this boat ramp is falling apart,” explained Curtis. “There are broken planks on it there are sharp splinters on it, which is always a worry for people that have kids or pets.”

She suggested upgrades to the docks and a new ramp to keep boaters in Greenville. She said because of the current issues, many are going to neighboring towns for water access.

Beth Bee lives in Greenville, but takes her paddle boarding activities to Washington.

“The river is a little bit more open here; it’s a little bit wider. It’s not as hot, it’s a bigger breeze, the water feels a little cleaner on this end of the river,” Bee said.

Curtis adds, “They are spending money down in Washington and not in Greenville, so I definitely think that’s hurting our economy.”

Curtis said a better change for Greenville starts with action.

“I would love to sit down and talk to city officials; I have quite a few ideas of where they could put in other boat launches, or what they could do to improve the one down here.”

Mayor Allen Thomas said the city is planning close to $2 million in improvements for the park, which includes the water access area. Thomas said a new pier will be named after war veteran Robert Lee Cherry upon its completion.

A full presentation regarding the multi-million dollar improvements to the Greenville Town Common and waterfront is scheduled to happen at this week’s city council meetings.
I'd agree with this. The port terminal renovation was nice a few years ago, but is still pretty limited for a city the size of Greenville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina