Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 08:42 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,771,805 times

Advertisements

Virginia Tech’s D is dominating the trenches and the field position is killing the Noles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 03:42 AM

2,141 posts, read 1,389,325 times
Went a respectable 17-6 in Week 1 picks. Great start to the year, and better than what i had in Week 0. Here's my Top 25 going into next week.

#1: Alabama (1-0)
#2: Ohio State (1-0) +1
#3: Georgia (1-0) -1
#4: Clemson (1-0)
#5: Wisconsin (1-0)
#6: Auburn (1-0) +6
#7: Oklahoma (1-0)
#8: Notre Dame (1-0) +1
#9: West Virginia (1-0) +1
#10: Virginia Tech (1-0) +4
#11: Washington (0-1) -5
#12: LSU (1-0) +11
#13: Stanford (1-0) +3
#14: UCF (1-0) +3
#15: Michigan State (1-0) -2
#16: Mississippi State (1-0) +3
#17: Penn State (1-0) -6
#18: TCU (1-0) +2
#19: USC (1-0) +2
#20: South Carolina (1-0) +2
#21: Miami (0-1) -13
#22: Michigan (0-1) -7
#23: Oklahoma State (1-0) +2
#24: NC State (1-0) NEW
#25: Boise State (1-0) NEW

Honorable Mentions/Dropped Out
Memphis (1-0)
Missouri (1-0)
Utah (1-0)
North Texas (1-0)
Oregon (1-0)
Iowa State (0-0)
Northwestern (1-0)
Toledo (1-0)
Maryland (1-0)
Florida State (0-1)

Old 09-04-2018, 09:04 AM

32,119 posts, read 34,767,213 times
I don't see any team in college football beating the Tide. They could probably run the table with Jalen Hurts this season, but Tua takes them to an entirely new level. He's clearly the most talented QB Saban has ever had.

Old 09-04-2018, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernTiger View Post
I wouldn't be ready to hit the panic button on Jim Harbaugh yet...South Bend is a hard place to come out of with a victory. Hell, Georgia needed a field goal last season to beat them by 1 point. Not a good look for Jim, though, especially with his contract.
It may not be time to hit the panic button, but the finger is definitely on it. The only thing that might be saving Harbaugh is that Michigan doesn't really have any better replacement options right now. But if he ends up 1-7 against their main rivals after this season, you'd have to think a change is going to happen sooner rather than later.

Old 09-04-2018, 10:29 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,617,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It may not be time to hit the panic button, but the finger is definitely on it. The only thing that might be saving Harbaugh is that Michigan doesn't really have any better replacement options right now. But if he ends up 1-7 against their main rivals after this season, you'd have to think a change is going to happen sooner rather than later.
Rich Rodriguez may still be available.

Old 09-04-2018, 11:03 AM

17,607 posts, read 15,298,210 times
Quote:
I don't see any team in college football beating the Tide. They could probably run the table with Jalen Hurts this season, but Tua takes them to an entirely new level. He's clearly the most talented QB Saban has ever had.

Their run defense looked and played lights out.. But.. Their secondary looked at little soft. They were playing against a guy making his first start and.. I won't say he carved them up, but he got more than I expected. Interesting to see what happens down the road. Right now, I can't tell for certain if Alabama's pass defense is not great or if Louisville has a far better passing game than I expected or some combination of the two.

As always, I think they'll have problems against scrambling QBs.

Purdue player, I believe it was.. Looked like some kind of eye injury.. Anyone have an update on that? I saw that and I'm just totally confused as to how that happened. I've done a little searching, and apparently the player is OK.. Perhaps a concussion, but.. Looking at the replays, I could see no way at all that it could have happened.

Old 09-04-2018, 12:44 PM

15,861 posts, read 6,561,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractor Face View Post
Awesome games, including Penn State App State. I really enjoyed Auburn Washington and especially LSU kicking butt. College football is an amazing sport.
Yes, the Husky-Tigers game was a lot of fun, even though we lost. It sure beats playing a bunch of cupcake preseason games. Too bad about what happened to preseason All-American candidate Trey Adams though -- looks like he'll miss most of the season. He might have made a major difference in some of those plays.

Old 09-04-2018, 01:22 PM

10,503 posts, read 7,054,125 times
Quote:

Whoa, Nelly.

Bama looked good, but it's a little early for that kind of prognostication. After all, they played Louisville. While Louisville isn't a bottom-feeder, they aren't an elite squad, either. Freshman quarterback threw two interceptions and barely cracked .500 in receptions.

Let's get to mid-year before we crown them the juggernaut. I think LSU, Auburn, and likely Georgia would have a lot to say about it.

Last edited by MinivanDriver; 09-04-2018 at 01:43 PM..

Old 09-04-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Their run defense looked and played lights out.. But.. Their secondary looked at little soft. They were playing against a guy making his first start and.. I won't say he carved them up, but he got more than I expected. Interesting to see what happens down the road. Right now, I can't tell for certain if Alabama's pass defense is not great or if Louisville has a far better passing game than I expected or some combination of the two.

As always, I think they'll have problems against scrambling QBs.
Their secondary has always been a little soft IMO. Didn't Chad Kelly light them up a couple of times? I don't think it's scrambling QBs who give Bama a tough time as much as it is good QBs. I think Baker Mayfield would have given them all they could handle last year and he's not a running QB. Deshaun Watson beat them a couple of years ago while staying in the pocket. I think a lot of SEC teams are built to stuff the run and don't defend aerial attacks all that well.

The difference this year is that Bama's offense can win games now and they don't have to be so reliant on a dominant defense. If Bama could run wild with the likes of Hurts, McCaron, and Sims, imagine how much more the run game will open up with a 5-star/Elite 11 winning gunslinger.

Old 09-04-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Whoa, Nelly.

Bama looked good, but it's a little early for that kind of prognostication. After all, they played Louisville. While Louisville isn't a bottom-feeder, they aren't an elite squad, either.

Let's get to mid-year before we crown them the juggernaut. I think LSU, Auburn, and likely Georgia would have a lot to say about it.
I feel comfortable crowning Alabama because not only do they have better recruiting classes than everyone else, but they've also finally recruited well at the position that matters most (QB). Bama could get to the playoffs with a game manager like Hurts by playing stout defense and running the ball down opponents' mouths, but now opponents have a legit passing game to be worried about too. Honestly, I think Tua on that team is like Durant joining the Warriors.

Of course, injuries will always come into play, as they did last season. But if they're healthy, I can only see one or two teams beating them. Those teams are Clemson and Georgia because of Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields, respectively. I would give Clemson the edge over Georgia due to the fact that they have a better defense with more experience.

I didn't mean to slight OSU here. I haven't seen that much of Dwayne Haskins. I have heard and seen a lot about Lawrence and Fields and they seem, even as freshmen, to be a cut above the rest of the field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football