Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 11:11 AM

2 posts, read 105,117 times

Advertisements

Hi all! We are relocating to COS by June 1st and have been looking for a home to rent, but we've never been there before & aren't sure if we'd be getting into a "bad" area (high crime, etc.).

Can someone tell us what areas to avoid, if any? (never met a city without 'em tho!)

Thanks alot,
Bren & Greg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2007, 03:07 AM

673 posts, read 4,069,712 times
Colorado Springs has usually had a very low violent crime rate for a city of its size, but it has been increasing as of late.

South-east Colorado Springs is generally known as having the most problems (poverty, violent crime) in the city of Colorado Springs though. Basically, its from Pikes Peak to Drennan and from Murray to Union is considered South-east Colorado Springs.

They do have some nice, decent areas with-in those boundries but overall that area tends to have the highest concentration of issues (violent crime, poverty) then the rest of Colorado Springs.

South-East Colorado Springs in general for a city of 370,000 people is not anywhere close to the amount of problems as
as some cities have though, its just a highest concentration then the city in general.

Westside, North of Pikes Peak (Pikes Peak is 0 block North) and South-West Colorado Springs past Cascade tend to have much fewer issues going on.

Old 05-24-2007, 08:26 AM

2 posts, read 105,117 times
Thank you Matt for your reply! It's most helpful for us, as we've been looking at zip code maps & other maps while looking at homes, so this really helps!

Thanks again,
Bren & Greg

Old 09-25-2007, 02:58 PM

1 posts, read 52,201 times
Default E. Bajou?

Hi All,

I'm moving to CS soon and don't have the luxury to scope out an appartment before moving there. I found a condo for rent @ 3110 E Bijou. About 3 blocks east of North Circle Dr. Can anyone comment on that neighborhood?

Thanks so much!

Old 09-27-2007, 01:06 PM

5 posts, read 65,788 times
Quote:
E. Bajou?
Hi All,

I'm moving to CS soon and don't have the luxury to scope out an appartment before moving there. I found a condo for rent @ 3110 E Bijou. About 3 blocks east of North Circle Dr. Can anyone comment on that neighborhood?

Thanks so much!
That neighborhood is not really in the best area. Colorado Springs is much safer than other cities the same size, but I personally would not live in that area. This is just my opinion. I have lived here since I was in the 6th grade (I'm 41 now), minus a couple years out of state when my husband was going to college, so I am very familiar with Colorado Springs. If you have any other areas or addresses in mine, just pm me and I'll be happy to let you know what I think.

Congratulations on your upcoming move.

Old 09-11-2010, 11:04 PM

1 posts, read 49,664 times
Me and my family are moving to Colorado Springs and cannot check it out ahead. We have an elementary age and middle school age child. What are the best school districts, schools and neighborhoods. Best places to look for jobs etc... Thanks Jim

Old 09-12-2010, 09:43 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasb71 View Post
Me and my family are moving to Colorado Springs and cannot check it out ahead. We have an elementary age and middle school age child. What are the best school districts, schools and neighborhoods. Best places to look for jobs etc... Thanks Jim
Most of the area is just fine, no truly bad parts that have to be avoided.

Preferred school districts are D20, D38, D12, D8, D49 and plenty of D11 (though not all).

I prefer D20, i.e., north of Woodman Rd, but others are fine, mostly depends on where your work is located.

Look in the index of key threads for much info on schools and many topics.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:54 AM

10 posts, read 105,411 times
From my experience pretty much stay clear of the Camel Area. Lots of gangs and things like that are in that area.

I highly suggest the Widefield fountain area, Up north Past the citdell mall or by the chapel hills mall area is very good. Rockrimmon, if you have the money the Broadmoor is very good. Pretty much anything east of academy is decent.

Anything west of Academy or I25 is were a lot of the drama happens.

Coming from a person who's lived here all my life and I'm 24.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:05 AM

2,221 posts, read 5,290,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Most of the area is just fine, no truly bad parts that have to be avoided.
Baloney, Mike.

When somebody in any medium to large city tells you that there are no bad parts of town, be sceptical. I have buddies in DEA that tell people to avoid Colorado Springs in its entirety based on the remarkable rise in gang activity in recent years (thanks to CSPD, the gangs feel free to sell H out the back parking lot of Citadel Mall, but the rest of the citizenry is afraid of doing 2 MPH over the speed limit)

Check out the CSPD police blotter. If you plot the crimes on a map, a geographic pattern emerges, and yes, there are some truly bad parts of town that ARE to be avoided.

If you don't believe me, then go rent a place or just hang out at night near Galley and Murray and let us know how you like it after a couple months.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:31 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,655,149 times
Colorado Springs, CO Crime Map - Showing Crimes in Colorado Springs - Crime Statistics, Alerts and Reports - Crime Stops Here
This will give people good insight wondering where the more troublesome areas of Colorado Springs are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs