Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 12:00 AM

4 posts, read 13,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by local_h View Post
My favorite Mexican restaurant is Dos Hombres. Kind of standard fare Mexican food but they have the best Margarita. I think they call it the Perfect Margarita (as they have about 7 different margaritas) and it is the one made with fresh squeezed lime and orange juice. Fiesta Guadalajara has one called the Cadillac which is very strong, though Tequila's in Glenwood Springs also has a Cadillac Margarita that is so strong I get tipsy of half of one.
I'm not a drinker so I couldn't tell you who makes the best Margaritas but as for the food, El Tapatio (Grand Jct) makes the best mexican food around with Fiesta Guadalajara (Fruita) running a very close second. Dos Hombres to me doesn't even make the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 10:17 AM

3 posts, read 10,738 times
Hi, my husband and I are coming out in a couple of weeks to visit GJ before we relocate there. Our reloction is supposed to take us to Denver which is where we want to be, but going to have to do a short stint in GJ of 18 months. I'm a bit weary I guess.... I'm from Evansville, IN pop 150,000. Sounds a bit like GJ but with maybe more shopping and a bit more culture. I'm 32, my husband is 30. Is there a crowd of 30 somethings in GJ without kids? We love to go try different, travel, drink, sit on a patio at a cool little bar and listen to music etc. I know the city is what you make of it, but are people welcoming there? My husband is a Brit and soccer is very important to him too, does anyone know of any adult indoor or outdoor leagues? I'm also a gym and pilates rat, what's the best gym in town. Lastly, there is NOTHING to rent and we hesitate buying if we are going to be there for 18 months. If we rented a house in Redlands, would this be this "nicest" or "hippest" area? What is a nice area in walking distance to shops, food, bars, etc? Thanks everyone!!

Old 04-15-2012, 10:30 AM

18,218 posts, read 25,857,597 times
If walking distance to shops and restaurants are important to you, the Redlands would not be a good fit. Colorado 340 is about a 12 mile loop to Fruita and you are going through the Redlands, which stretches out between the second to the eighth mile (kinda guessing here). The Redlands IS a nice area, and after all these years of added growth I still take it over anywhere in Mesa County because of its location. You only have a couple restaurants in that area, both are near Safeways.

An area I think you'd like is where Lincoln Park is (12th and Patterson) Going south on 12th for the next several blocks are older but well kept homes that are just a few minutes from downtown where you have lots of restaurants and clubs to choose from. Just my 2 cents worth, hopefully other GJ residents will weigh in here as I live in Fruita. When I bought over here in the 1980's I thought hard about that part of town (the Redlands was too high priced for me) but I settled in on the Fruita area. If somebody offered me an arm and a leg for my place the Lincoln park area would be fine.

There is a lot of town related activities at the park itself which includes Stocker Stadium for high school and college football and Suplezio Field as Grand Junction is getting a minor league baseball team and has hosted JUCO (Junior College World Series) for years.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 04-15-2012 at 06:33 PM..

Old 04-15-2012, 05:20 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krutter View Post
If we rented a house in Redlands, would this be this "nicest" or "hippest" area? What is a nice area in walking distance to shops, food, bars, etc? Thanks everyone!!
The Redlands is nice, but it's definitely not hip. It's a large, sort of agricultural area with lots of nice houses, about 10 minutes from downtown Grand Junction.

If you want a walkable, more hip area, you'll need to be in the neighborhoods in the downtown area. This is the only area where you can walk to cafes and bars.

When you say you can't find anything to rent, I find that hard to believe. You may need to drive around town looking for "For Rent" signs (this is one of the primary ways that houses are let) but you can definitely find stuff available.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:08 AM

3 posts, read 10,738 times
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I will check out the Lincoln Park area, sounds like the type of neighborhood we like. You are correct, when I say there is "nothing to rent", it looks like there is not much after scouring the area on the internet.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:45 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
I'm not aware of any hip areas in Grand Junction.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:39 AM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
YOU'RE there.....ITS HIP.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:46 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
Quote:
The Golden Corral isn't hip?

Old 04-16-2012, 09:51 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
Mike from back east wrote:
I forgot about that. Wherever I am is a hip place. Too bad I haven't mastered being in more than one place at a time.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:57 AM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
Mike from back east wrote:
I forgot about that. Wherever I am is a hip place. Too bad I haven't mastered being in more than one place at a time.
'zackly so. wherever you go ... there you are ...
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado