Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 08:26 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,834,937 times

Advertisements

America, the best government money can buy.

...but somehow it's still better than most
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 08:51 AM

10,750 posts, read 23,828,256 times
Denver Post is reporting a divide among communities and counties that are on board, initiating bans, or having a moratorium on selling pot commercially in January 2014.

-Not surprisingly Denver and tourist destinations like Breckenridge, Steamboat Springs, Durango, and Telluride are onboard.
-Places like Pueblo, Aurora, and Fort Collins are on hold, discerning how they want to handle it and would rather not rush into it.
-Colorado Springs and several Denver suburbs along with several rural counties have hang ups and are working on or have already initiated bans for selling it commercially.

Full article: Colorado marijuana stores likely to be concentrated in few cities - The Denver Post

Old 07-26-2013, 03:20 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,946,466 times
Not surprising. A64 was written that way so that communities could choose whether or not to allow MJ businesses in their jurisdictions. I'm sure it will follow a path similar to the repeal of alcohol prohibition with many "dry" areas for many years to come. It will continue to evolve as the entire concept normalizes in communities and regulations begin to take hold & be enforced. Here in Durango, they are considering a one year moratorium on recreational MJ businesses so that they can effectively plan for & zone the locations accordingly. They've done very well with MMJ here. You drive by MMJ dispensaries every day here & never realize it. Very low key.... no bold green cross sticking out or anything like that. I would expect that they will handle retail stores in much the same way when the moratorium expires.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:32 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,118,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradoalimony View Post
There have already been reports of people with Colorado plates being stopped and searched in Utah, Nebraska, and as far away as Illinois since the medical cannabis initiatives. A Honda Civic with mountain bikes on the rack heading to Moab is like a red flag for the Utah state patrol. I absolutely believe that carloads of college students (with Illinois or California plates) on their way back to college from a Colorado ski vacation will be nailed in Ogalla or Grand Island, NE or Hays, KS or Green River, UT for a "safety check" involving dogs and searches come January 1. Count on it.
My friend got pulled over south of Moab on his way up to meet me in Moab.

$10,000 in legal fees and fines later, along with a suspended work only license for 18 months, he's doing OK.

ETA:

Found one partially smoked joint, a small stash, and he got popped for DWI/DUI. Car rental company banged him another $3000 to have the car stored in a a lot, and then later towed back to Denver.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:34 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
My expectation is that rural and/or conservative counties will prohibit it (IIRC El Paso County already banned it) but some cities will allow it, tax it, reap some nice income; in a few years the "nay" counties will whine, again, about being left out and talk about forming a new state.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:13 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post
My friend got pulled over south of Moab on his way up to meet me in Moab.

$10,000 in legal fees and fines later, along with a suspended work only license for 18 months, he's doing OK.

ETA:

Found one partially smoked joint, a small stash, and he got popped for DWI/DUI. Car rental company banged him another $3000 to have the car stored in a a lot, and then later towed back to Denver.
Do you have more details? Sounds like Patriot Act abuse. Did he say is they had true probable cause, smoking in progress, smell in car, or BS safety stop now I abuse your 4th amend.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:47 PM

98 posts, read 182,005 times
Quote:

ETA:

Were the fines and charges based on the DWI/DUI? or simple possession / "open" container laws.

Big Diff. IMO

Old 07-26-2013, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Do you have more details? Sounds like Patriot Act abuse. Did he say is they had true probable cause, smoking in progress, smell in car, or BS safety stop now I abuse your 4th amend.
Smell in car. He should've never consented, but I think the partially smoked joint was visible.

Attorney was out of SLC, and he lives on the east coast. Not the cheapest attorney, but then again, when you are 2500 miles away, you can't be coming to every court date and postponement.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
My expectation is that rural and/or conservative counties will prohibit it (IIRC El Paso County already banned it) but some cities will allow it, tax it, reap some nice income; in a few years the "nay" counties will whine, again, about being left out and talk about forming a new state.
What people fail to realize is that it is still against Federal law. Until the Feds act, it's stupid IMHO to subject the county and it's tax payers to possible litigation.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:38 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post
What people fail to realize is that it is still against Federal law. Until the Feds act, it's stupid IMHO to subject the county and it's tax payers to possible litigation.
By the time the Repubs get back in it will be so mainstream public opinion will be too great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado