Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2008, 05:01 PM

197 posts, read 797,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
ErnestT! Whazzup?-Yep, you're right I know about humidity and the summer; those two subjects don't mix. The worst place I was in was Houston, Texas at the end of July. 98 degrees, 100% humidity. Like a turkish bath sauna room at your local health club. I don't know how people take that climate-not me!

The ONLY good that comes from all this humidity here in Houston....
It keeps us "ol ' farts" 10-20 years younger lookin'.

No need to ever get Botox injections...LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2008, 09:30 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,464,513 times
I just saw this forum tonight and decided to start writing in it. I am from Pueblo and have lived here all my life, except for when I went to college. I could live anywhere but choose to live here because I love it so much.

I saw a few posts about water and Pueblo. Pueblo has the most water then any city on the front range, we currently have enough water for a city of about 500,000. Pueblo, also, has some of the lowest rates in the country, 1.91 per 1,000 gallons with no restrictions on how much we can use. That being said Pueblo is not sitting back, the city is currently in the process of buying the majority of shares in the Bessemer ditch. The Pueblo Board of Water Works is planing on spending about 70 million dollars and it should be finalized in 2009. The city with the least amount of water is Colorado Springs, in fact there have been many times they are on water restriction and their lawns are brown and I am watering my lawn twice a day and still have a lower utility bill then they do lol.

On my first post I thought I would give a quick look at Pueblo from my perspective on where I think we are headed and why.

To say that Pueblo has struggled the past 30 years, since roughly 1980, is a understatement. CF&I, the Alpha beta packing company, and the Pueblo Army Depot pretty much closed up about the same time. Unemployment was over 20% and the joke was "last one to leave turn off the lights".

That being said Pueblo has come though that and now is a much stronger city for it. There is more going on here now, even during this bad economy, then any city on the front range urban corridor. I will list the main projects.

1. Pueblo Springs Ranch - That was the an old ranch that extends from just north of the city of pueblo to the El Paso County line, about 24,000 acers. A Las Vegas development company bought it and it is currently being annexed in the city. When done it will be one of the largest planned comminutes in the country and will have the largest tech park in the state, the Pueblo Springs Tech park located by exit 110. According to CU Boulder that one development alone will have 74,000 housing units or 200,000 people when built out.

2. There is a new industrial park south of town that was designed for large industrial companies. Our first one is the Vesta's wind turbine plant that when completed will be the largest of its kind in the world. The Colorado Springs gazette reported that the Springs did not have that kind of capability that pueblo has to attract large industries.

3. The Colorado Energy Park - This is a new renewable energy park being developed east of Pueblo by AEHI. It will be 21,000 acers and have different kinds of energy plants as well as major industries that need to be by power sources. It will be the largest of its kind in America.

4. downtown - Pueblo's downtown remains the states second largest and due to the riverwalk, convention center much is going on. High rises are being planned that will be over 20 stories, the grand gardens project is still on track and will have retail space, condos, hotels, movie theater, and parking garages. They are always building condos. I suspect that downtown Pueblo will resemble Denver's by 2020.

5. CSU-Pueblo - It is currently the fastest growing university in the state. Football has returned in a brand new stadium and many of the building are getting a face lift as well as new buildings planned, currently 3 new dorms are either being built or planned.

Giving all that is going on I believe that the next 11 years, now till the 2020 census, will be pueblo's decade.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:37 PM

18,022 posts, read 27,468,060 times
Nice info there all in one place.

As far as water goes, it's my understanding that much of what is stored in Pueblo Reservoir or much of what will be stored there belongs to Colorado Springs... money talks. And their used water, here again-my understanding- comes down the Fountain as their sewer water.

Oh, as to the "money talks" comment; just ask farmers along the Ark Valley about what they would sell their water rights in order to fulfill the needs of the sprawl in Aurora and eastern El Paso county.

Like some in here have told me, politics is for arguing, but Colorado Water Rights is for fighting. Instead of hearing someone brag about how cheap their water is and how much of it they use, I'd rather hear how many of their children are going to school to become a Water Rights Lawyer.

Pueblo Springs Ranch? Looks like competition for Pueblo West to provide cheap housing for Colorado Springs and Fountain Ft Carson commuters. Good source of water? Where? From Fountain Creek? Ask Colorado Springs inhabitants about the quality of that water, I dare ya!

Vestas sounds great. It could bring about 500 decent jobs to the area, if the County Commissioners don't goof that up too.

Industrial Park smendustrial park; how many high-tech and/or decent paying jobs does Pueblo offer now? The city can barely take care of itself now. I see the traffic of commuters going to Colorado Springs every morning.

I guess I'm just not your typical Wayne Dyer. I'll believe it when I see it.

I'd agree that Pueblo has great potential for the growth of big industry here. But the exploitation of land and more cheap housing is an industry that I thought we saw the last of. There's tons of empty homes and abandoned lots in the north and south sides of Pueblo West. If you want to move to this area, come buy a home or a lot out here.

Oh, and bring a job with you too! Thanks. We'll leave the light on.

Old 12-01-2008, 05:12 PM

First off thank you :-)

Colorado Springs only has roughly 20% of the water in the Pueblo Reservoir and Pueblo gets most of our water, if not all, from the reservoir. The Pueblo Chieftain did a report on that issue and when President Kennedy came to Pueblo to sign the Arkansas frying pan project Pueblo was still the second largest city in the state. So the Springs has not even paid as much into it as they claim. In Colorado it all goes back to water rights and Pueblo was smart early on and has some of the most senior rights on the Arkansas river, that has allowed us to buy more and then lease to other cities who are playing catch up again allowing Pueblo to buy more etc. That is why when Pueblo talks the state listens and one reason why Pueblo is the only city in Colorado who can and does stand up with any success to Denver. Think about it, how many cities of 100,000 command so much power in a state with cities much bigger then they are? That would be like Bakersfield over powering LA or San Diego in California, those cities would just laugh.

Pueblo Springs Ranch, although is benefiting from Fort Carson, every city is in our region, is going to do its part to bring in jobs. Pedco told me that in order to get their tech park started the developers will attract main companies by: (1) building the building and giving it to them (2) paying for the companies moving expense and (3) paying for the companies employees moving expense. It will, also, be more dense then Pueblo West, so it wont be the sprawl that you see in Pueblo West. Plus having the tech jobs there should help Pueblo West as not everyone will want to live in Pueblo Springs.

Finally, Vesta's is already started and 4 more companies are looking to move there who are related to them and 4 more who are not....

Edit: I forgot to talk about how Pueblo Springs will get their water. According to the Chieftain it will be two pressure zones requiring two water tanks. Since Pueblo will annex it in the city they will get city water, they will just have to build the pipes and water systems for the development. The ranch does come with water rights of their own that Pueblo gets once the land is annexed, part of the deal they are working out.

Last edited by Josseppie; 12-01-2008 at 05:45 PM..

Old 12-01-2008, 05:59 PM

I would still like to see Pueblo demand that El Paso county do something to clean up the Fountain.

I like the idea of moving the people to the water, not the water to the people. And if there ain't enough water, move to Missouri.

I'd love to see Pueblo take off; I'd just like to see more high-tech industry come here. For example, where will the turbines be built and where will the blades be built? All in Pueblo, or will the "guts" of these things be built in Brighton and elsewhere?

Old 12-01-2008, 06:11 PM

I agree with you on the Fountain river, that is why Pueblo wants the Springs to take their water east of the confluence of the Fountain and Arkansas rivers, gives them a extra incentive to send us clean water down the Fountain if not then they have to deal with it as well.

I agree with you on high tech jobs, that is the main reason I am happy about the Pueblo Springs Ranch and the tech park. It will be the largest in the state, I was told that by Pueblo's planing director, and the company really wants to bring some major tech companies here, I was told that by pedco. There should be a public meeting on it soon, I will go and post here what I find out.

As far as the Vestas we are the production part of the wind turbines. They bought 800 acers and right now only used 200 acers for their 700,000 square foot facility, that is the largest of its kind in the world. The rest will go to the companies they use, such as suppliers etc., who will be located by the plant. So in the end it will mean a lot more then the 550 jobs we are getting now, why they state and city gave more incentives to Vestas for this facility then the ones going to Brighten or Windsor.

I know I am a optimist but from the things I hear going on I think the next 11 years will be an exiting time to be in Pueblo. Just to give you one example I have heard from the highest officials in Pueblo, sorry I cant say who, that Pueblo has a 70% chance of getting a major corporate headquarters next year and they will build two office towers one 23 and one 16 stories high.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:20 PM

Sounds great! I'm an EET and have to work for my brother in order to live here in Pueblo County. I used to travel a lot, but thanks to airline prices, I get to work from the office a bit more than not and I'm more than happy about it.

I once applied for a job at Eupec and if I was an experienced Software Engineer, they'd have hired me on the spot. Unfortunately, I'm more of a hardware guy and a position never seemed to open for me. Years later, a guy came to our company for a sales position and he was hired due to his tech background. He was a technician working for the soon to become defunct Eupec.

So it's a small world. Especially here in Pueblo County!

Old 12-16-2008, 03:49 AM

23 posts, read 51,697 times
Please tell me about the Fountain Valley area (Fountain & Security-Widefield). We are looking to move to CO next summer and I just came across this area on line and it sounds interesting.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:42 PM

I think you'll get more hits in the Colorado Springs sub forum or do a serch on those places which are about 30 miles north of Pueblo. Pueblo County stops at about MM 115 or 116.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:56 AM

38 posts, read 98,181 times
My wife & I are so excited about our move to Pueblo. When we decided to move here and start a church we had no idea this type of expansion was in the work. If any city deserves these opportunities it is Pueblo. From reading on the history of Pueblo, these opportunities excite me. What wonderful potential we have in Pueblo, CO. The underdog city. I truly believe in beauty from ashes. From the ashes of what was seemingly defeat many times in this city will emerge a beautiful city. We should really be praying for the city officials, state officials, for the businesses that are deciding to make Pueblo their permanent home, & don't forget the citizens of Pueblo. I am overwhelmed with joy & excitement for the bright future of Pueblo & it's citizens. We will see you all in June 2009. Pueblo Family Church coming soon! Growing in Faith, Family, & Service. God bless you all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado