Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Apple ever overrtake Windows machines for personal/home use?
Yes 18 18.75%
No 78 81.25%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 12:11 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
lol, I used to work for Apple.

You CANNOT modify your Mac "just as you can on a PC". Absolutely not. Yes, Apple now allows terminal access, but you have to really know what you're doing, unlike a PC that's much simpler, and there aren't nearly as many mod choices on an Apple as a PC.

I did NOT say all PC users want to customize their machines, what I said was some PC users ENJOY PC's because of the level to which they can customize their machines. Big difference.

I also do not appreciate the "The ignorance continues" comment. That's riding the border of a personal attack and that's not allowed here on C-D.
Violet, I can modify a PC and I Mac just as well. I would agree with you that's difficult to modify an iMac, or even a laptop Mac, but the Mac pro tower is highly modifiable. Maybe not as easy as the PC, but easy enough. back in the early '80s, my friends and I would modify the old Apple GS, and the Commodore 64 We would use PC power supplies and cases (with fans and everything else), and stuff Mac and Commodore-64 "motherboards" along any SCSI hard drives we could get our hands on. I remember having to pay around $350.00 for a 45MB hard drive, while nowadays one can buy a 1TB internal hard drive for $50.00 or less. Some companies (B&H and others) sell Macs and PC's that have been rigged or modified for video or photo editing, but one can do the same quite easily.

Last edited by RayinAK; 10-04-2010 at 12:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 06:57 AM

16,675 posts, read 15,676,579 times
This was a stupid idea for a poll from the beginning. (My personal opinion is that it should have seen a padlock a long time ago.) Windows has an overwhelming majority in the installed platforms across the world that is so huge that it is unlikely to change. It really doesn't matter how much you like the Mac interface or whether Apple makes better hardware than most PC manufacturers or really much of anything else. People buy computers running Windows about 4 times or more for all other platforms combined and there is no evidence to suggest that this ratio is likely to change in our lifetimes.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:59 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times
When I am out consulting for my IT company, I am starting to see a shift in businesses using Macs. For example, I was just out at eHarmony in Pasadena and they give their employees the option of using a Mac or Windows machine. Many choose Macs. Oracle also allows Linux and Mac.

If businesses keep getting the shaft by Microsoft (Vista, security flaws, viruses), they will slowly turn to other options. The businesses are what keep Microsoft locked in. Remember IBM used to own the Government Sector. Then Microsoft...now U.S. DoD has the single largest install base of Red Hat Linux in the world...

Things are a changing for Microsoft.

Last edited by Mach50; 10-04-2010 at 08:15 AM..

Old 10-04-2010, 12:23 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
They wouldn't open up their platform the way IBM did - that was a fatal mistake for the company, and the reason that they failed so miserably. Opening up the platform allowed anybody that wanted to a chance to manufacture the hardware, increasing competition and driving prices down across the board. Apple chose not to do that, and paid the price.
Actually, in 1987 IBM tried to put the genie back in the bottle with the PS/2 (not play station) line of PC's with the proprietary MCA bus and motherboards. The market place said not no, but hell no, and EISA then PCI standards which followed closely were the cue de gra to IBM's attempt to make the PC a proprietary device again. IBM was built on proprietary technology, and an open platform was such an alien concept to their corporate mindset.

Old 10-04-2010, 02:11 PM

16,675 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Actually, in 1987 IBM tried to put the genie back in the bottle with the PS/2 (not play station) line of PC's with the proprietary MCA bus and motherboards. The market place said not no, but hell no, and EISA then PCI standards which followed closely were the cue de gra to IBM's attempt to make the PC a proprietary device again. IBM was built on proprietary technology, and an open platform was such an alien concept to their corporate mindset.
I remember those PS/2 machines well. You had to keep a separate Reference Disk for each machine. It was absolutely critical to update CMOS.

Old 10-04-2010, 03:11 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Then Microsoft...now U.S. DoD has the single largest install base of Red Hat Linux in the world...

Things are a changing for Microsoft.
If I remember correctly, NASA uses some form of Linux, too. The logic being that they write all of their own software, including security, and have complete control over the whole system.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:43 AM

1,692 posts, read 3,127,636 times
No way will Macs take over. Out of the 2 or 3 dozen folk I know that have a laptop they are all PCs. Think of them as more of a specialty item, or thats how I see.

Last edited by FastFerrari; 10-07-2010 at 11:59 AM..

Old 10-07-2010, 11:48 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,944,235 times
the arguments in this thread are the same as they were ten years ago, but when i was using a mac in the late 90s i was like the only one. today, more than half of my friends use a mac and i never run into downloads online that don't have a mac version. i remember when i went into one of the first apple stores. it was basically me, maybe one other customer, and a bunch of workers. today they are pure madness, people everywhere.

so i don't know that mac will overtake PC, but the market share they have taken in the past ten years is incredible.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:48 PM

8,323 posts, read 13,453,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
If I remember correctly, NASA uses some form of Linux, too. The logic being that they write all of their own software, including security, and have complete control over the whole system.
Most European businesses and governments have been doing so for years.
All OSes should be free and never belong to a privately held profit-based company.

Overall per-user cost and lack of unconditional control by its users are probably the 2 main reasons for Windows' downfall in the market share.

Will Apple over take over Windows or any other OS? Not F'ing likely! I cannot be the only one disliking Apple's single-button mouse!

Old 10-07-2010, 08:12 PM

1,419 posts, read 2,455,630 times
I would like to have a MAC, but they are too expensive for me. I think if they were cheaper they could maybe take over Windows PC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers