Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 01:58 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
Didn't say it wasn't. The point is that desktops are anything but obsolete. It may seem that way to those who feel the need to send 200 text messages while driving 70mph on the freeway, but it only seems that way.
I stand by my original statement. Desktops are obsolete with the exception of special purpose computing. They've been replaced primarily by laptops and tablets. I find myself using my tablet less while at home now that my fridge has a web browser. I don't drive and text by the way. You seem to be pulling out some sort of stereotype that wouldn't even apply. Windows 8 is not for phones or even texting.

For the record, my wotkstation laptop could probably "process 2 gigabytes of astrophotography data in real time in the field while simultaneously playing a Dave Matthews Live concert and guiding my scope so I can caputre even more images" if I needed it to. You don't need a desktop for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 03:30 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,214,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I stand by my original statement. Desktops are obsolete with the exception of special purpose computing. They've been replaced primarily by laptops and tablets. I find myself using my tablet less while at home now that my fridge has a web browser. I don't drive and text by the way. You seem to be pulling out some sort of stereotype that wouldn't even apply. Windows 8 is not for phones or even texting.

For the record, my wotkstation laptop could probably "process 2 gigabytes of astrophotography data in real time in the field while simultaneously playing a Dave Matthews Live concert and guiding my scope so I can caputre even more images" if I needed it to. You don't need a desktop for that.
Non-sequitur. A laptop is essentially a minature desktop, by design. It has nearly the same capabilities as a desktop. A tablet, on the other hand, is rather limited in number crunching mulitasking abiities. A smart phone is even more limited. Furthermore, there is almost nothing that can be done on a tablet or a smart phone that cannot be done on a desktop. In fact, the desktop can do more. It's only limitation is the fact that it is not mobile. But then, it was never designed to be mobile. Obsolete means that something is no longer in general use; fallen into disuse. Eveyone I know who has a desktop is still using it. Furthermore, they were intended for use as a workstation, and in that capacity, they are still very much in use. Why? Because for capacity, capabilities, upgradability, and versatility, very little exists (other than high end laptops) that can compare.

And for the record, I capture my images, guide my scope, and listen to Dave Matthews (or watch a movie) on my laptop. But for processing, I upload them to my desktop, where I can use much more powerful processing tools and process the photos in a fraction of the time it would take to do it on my duo core laptop. The desktop is a quad core with 8 gigs of DDR3 and with a very high end high definition graphics card that could never be installed in anything smaller than a full tower,and a RAID 10 disk array. Can't get one of those in a tablet. Obsolete? I wouldn't trade mine for any mobile device currently on the market. I would like an ipad, though. It would come in handier than my laptop as a mobile quick reference device for running some of my digital sky map programs while out observing.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Non-sequitur. A laptop is essentially a minature desktop, by design. It has nearly the same capabilities as a desktop. A tablet, on the other hand, is rather limited in number crunching mulitasking abiities. A smart phone is even more limited. Furthermore, there is almost nothing that can be done on a tablet or a smart phone that cannot be done on a desktop. In fact, the desktop can do more. It's only limitation is the fact that it is not mobile. But then, it was never designed to be mobile. Obsolete means that something is no longer in general use; fallen into disuse. Eveyone I know who has a desktop is still using it. Furthermore, they were intended for use as a workstation, and in that capacity, they are still very much in use. Why? Because for capacity, capabilities, upgradability, and versatility, very little exists (other than high end laptops) that can compare.

And for the record, I capture my images, guide my scope, and listen to Dave Matthews (or watch a movie) on my laptop. But for processing, I upload them to my desktop, where I can use much more powerful processing tools and process the photos in a fraction of the time it would take to do it on my duo core laptop. The desktop is a quad core with 8 gigs of DDR3 and with a very high end high definition graphics card that could never be installed in anything smaller than a full tower,and a RAID 10 disk array. Can't get one of those in a tablet. Obsolete? I wouldn't trade mine for any mobile device currently on the market. I would like an ipad, though. It would come in handier than my laptop as a mobile quick reference device for running some of my digital sky map programs while out observing.
I don't know why you keep bringing up a smartphone. Windows 8 is not for smartphones.

A desktop and a laptop are different form factors. Just like a desktop and tablet are different form factors. Just because they all have the same capabilities doesn't change the fact that they are different form factors. Laptops have very much caused desktops to become obsolete for most uses. Especially with dirt cheap prices.

You're making a very broad and inaccurate statement about tablets. Tablets can be very capable of number crunching and multitasking. It just depends on which one you get. Just like which desktop you get.

My tablet has a dual core i7 w/ 16GB DDR3 and an SSD. Windows 8 will very much be welcomed on my tablet.

My workstation laptop has a quadcore i7 w/ 32GB DDR3 and RAID 0 SSD. For larger data sets, I use an iSCSI RAID 6. It doesn't have a touchscreen, so I'm unsure about Windows 8 on it. I'm hoping when I upgrade later this year, it will be available with touchscreen.

Both systems are very capable for their purpose.

Sales of laptops and tablets are up significantly while sales of desktops are down significantly. There's limited uses which require a desktop. People have realized this.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:34 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Quote:

The desktop is a quad core with 8 gigs of DDR3 and with a very high end high definition graphics card that could never be installed in anything smaller than a full tower,and a RAID 10 disk array. Can't get one of those in a tablet. Obsolete? I wouldn't trade mine for any mobile device currently on the market. I would like an ipad, though. It would come in handier than my laptop as a mobile quick reference device for running some of my digital sky map programs while out observing.
My laptop would smoke your desktop.
Quad Core 2nd Gen i7 running at 3GHZ with 16GB of DDR3 RAM and a high end video card with a dedicated 2GB of RAM.
I have a 1TB RAID1 hard drive attached to my router that allows me to access the drive from either laptop, the Ipad2, the iPhone and the Android phone. Not to mention remote access via ftp.

Just saying.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:26 AM

3,423 posts, read 3,214,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
My laptop would smoke your desktop.
Quad Core 2nd Gen i7 running at 3GHZ with 16GB of DDR3 RAM and a high end video card with a dedicated 2GB of RAM.
I have a 1TB RAID1 hard drive attached to my router that allows me to access the drive from either laptop, the Ipad2, the iPhone and the Android phone. Not to mention remote access via ftp.

Just saying.
I wasn't actually trying to brag on my computer, just trying to point out that desktops are not obsolete despite what market bobble heads want us to believe. More and more people are using mobile devices, this is true. But so what? Desktops are not mobile, and were never meant to be mobile. And for what they are designed to do, they do very well.

I'd be interested in knowing what mobile graphics you have in your laptop. Also, you should consider setting up a RAID 10 system. It has the speed of RAID 0, the redundancy of RAID 1, and is crash proof (which I have already found out myself is true).

Old 04-02-2012, 11:16 AM

Quote:
I wasn't actually trying to brag on my computer, just trying to point out that desktops are not obsolete despite what market bobble heads want us to believe. More and more people are using mobile devices, this is true. But so what? Desktops are not mobile, and were never meant to be mobile. And for what they are designed to do, they do very well.
I am not really trying to brag either. I just love my laptop, though. It was one of the best "tech" purchases I think I've made. It flies and handles everything I can throw at it with aplomb.

Quote:

I'd be interested in knowing what mobile graphics you have in your laptop. Also, you should consider setting up a RAID 10 system. It has the speed of RAID 0, the redundancy of RAID 1, and is crash proof (which I have already found out myself is true).
The card is a Nvidia 560M. Not the absolute best but it is quite capable.

The 1TB drive I bought doesn't do RAID10, unfortunately.

Old 04-02-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Graphics in a laptop are limited as of now. But come this summer, that will change.

You can connect a RAID to any type of device. It's most practical with a desktop or laptop, but it's not limited to one.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:57 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,871,484 times
Quote:
Graphics in a laptop are limited as of now. But come this summer, that will change.

You can connect a RAID to any type of device. It's most practical with a desktop or laptop, but it's not limited to one.
I'm hoping that with thunderbolt and an external GPU i'll be able to turn my 13" macbook pro into a mobile workstation pretty soon. Quadro 4000 on a macbook - yay!

Old 04-03-2012, 07:09 AM

Quote:
If by "limited" you mean it will run Skyrim at the highest graphic settings, then I agree.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:06 AM

3,006 posts, read 3,871,484 times
I've just spent the day trying out win 8 - OMG. What were they thinking? The interface is a disaster, unintuitive and completely unsuited to desktops. This thing makes vista look good! Classic mode is hobbled too as you have to keep switching back to metro because there's no start menu, and no indication the 'start' function is right down in the corner of the page. This thing is a complete disaster. I predict people will stick with 7.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers