Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Mac OS X vs Windows - Who survives the test of time?
Some version of OS X 33 37.50%
Some version of Windows 37 42.05%
Neither one 6 6.82%
Both 12 13.64%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 03:56 PM

1,482 posts, read 3,125,825 times

Advertisements

Heh, I must have skipped the bickering!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 06:10 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,415,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
Nice conversation guys!

I agree with most of what you are saying. I think that both systems work well, with aOS-X being (almost) Idiot-proof ad Windows being more versitile.

The problems are just as stated. Mac is VERY restrictive when it comes to compatibility (unless you start running emulators, but why run an emulator on a $2000 machine when you can get, or build one for half that and get the same performance?)

The other thing that bugs me has NOTHING to do with the OS. The advertising. Trying to make it seem like PC's are SO heinous it is OK to hate them (there is nothing wrong with you if you don't know how to reboot!!) and make it seem like your electronics are fashion accessories.

I HOPE that is not representative of the Mac community (Hello, I'm a mac, and my sweatshirt costs $500).

Anywho, I would LIKE them BOTH to learn form the other. After having problems on my mothers laptop and finding new ways to crash a Mac (and get nothing more than a little bomb or other cute icon telling me so) or the PC (and having machine code tell me things I have no way of knowing, only to click on the link to the browser which say IT doesn't know either!) I hope they come somewhere in between. Tell me what process hung up. What conflicted. Maybe what two proggies do not LIKE each other.

As for the original question of who will last?

Probably M$, because even though I like them (sorta) more than Mac, they are evil. I think they will eventually buy controlling interest in Mac (haven't they already, or am I thinking of something else...0 and assimilate them.

Either that or they will keep running them as if they were something completely different when all they are are two different skins for the same OS, but charge you more for the OS XX because it is prettier!
you will find it illegal for Microsoft to assimilate apple, due to monopoly laws. As a matter of fact, when Apple was doing financially horrible, Microsoft was shelling them money to help keep them afloat, due to the same monopoly laws, if mac disappeared, Microsoft would have a monopoly, and be broken up.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:58 PM

620 posts, read 2,083,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
you will find it illegal for Microsoft to assimilate apple, due to monopoly laws. As a matter of fact, when Apple was doing financially horrible, Microsoft was shelling them money to help keep them afloat, due to the same monopoly laws, if mac disappeared, Microsoft would have a monopoly, and be broken up.
So true about the monopoly issues and Softy/Apple's relationship ... except for the bit of history you cited. There was a loan made by Microsoft, but it wasn't needed by Apple at the time, nor was it asked for. Bill Gates' PR move actually. He was under fire for monopolistic practices. Apple had just been taken over by Steve Jobs. Steve was trying to get some commitment from Microsoft over software support as he ramped OS X. Gates forced him to accept the loan as part of the deal.

I know, the story as I tell it is lacking in details, but my memory on the affair is a little fuzzy, and it wasn't front page news at the time so it might be difficult to find supporting documents. Perhaps when I've got more time, I'll try to find a detailed account on the web.

Ninjahedge, perhaps I'm wrong, but it sounds like you are comparing the two without becoming familiar with the most recent versions. Both OSs have a long history, and both have fallen short a few times in the past. The current versions of both Windows and OS X are the best they've ever been. Sure, Vista has taken a lot of flack, but it is still better in some respects than XP. It's bloated, but you don't have to use all the eye candy.

I better make it clear at this point that I am a Mac head, but I'm also a realist. I know what my preferences are, but I know that my opinion isn't the only one in the Universe. And, I'm glad of that! I hate the pressure of always having to be right every time.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:30 AM

Here's an abridged version of the story, as written in Apple-History.com.

The time and place for the most ground breaking announcements, however, would be MacWorld Boston in August 1997.

Jobs, who by now was being referred to as "interim CEO," made the keynote speech, and spoke of the company's upcoming aggressive advertising campaign, upcoming new Macs, and Rhapsody. He also announced an almost entirely new Board of Directors, including Larry Ellison, CEO of Oracle. But he saved the best for last. In a ground breaking decision, Jobs announced an alliance with Microsoft. In exchange for $150 million in Apple Stock, Microsoft and Apple would have a 5-year patent cross-license and, more importantly, a final settlement in the ongoing GUI argument. Microsoft agreed to pay an unreleased sum of additional funds to quiet the allegations that it had stolen Apple's intellectual property in designing its Windows OS. Microsoft also announced that Office '98, its popular office package, would be available for the Mac by years end.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Winkus View Post
So true about the monopoly issues and Softy/Apple's relationship ... except for the bit of history you cited. There was a loan made by Microsoft, but it wasn't needed by Apple at the time, nor was it asked for. Bill Gates' PR move actually. He was under fire for monopolistic practices. Apple had just been taken over by Steve Jobs. Steve was trying to get some commitment from Microsoft over software support as he ramped OS X. Gates forced him to accept the loan as part of the deal.

I know, the story as I tell it is lacking in details, but my memory on the affair is a little fuzzy, and it wasn't front page news at the time so it might be difficult to find supporting documents. Perhaps when I've got more time, I'll try to find a detailed account on the web.

Ninjahedge, perhaps I'm wrong, but it sounds like you are comparing the two without becoming familiar with the most recent versions. Both OSs have a long history, and both have fallen short a few times in the past. The current versions of both Windows and OS X are the best they've ever been. Sure, Vista has taken a lot of flack, but it is still better in some respects than XP. It's bloated, but you don't have to use all the eye candy.

I better make it clear at this point that I am a Mac head, but I'm also a realist. I know what my preferences are, but I know that my opinion isn't the only one in the Universe. And, I'm glad of that! I hate the pressure of always having to be right every time.

Actually, I have.

Vista Home is very limited and I have reformatted many a machine back to XP SP3. OS-X is on my mothers school computer and she has crashed that quite a few times.

I am not saying that either are the anti-christ, but they have limitations.

I find that Mac usually has a problem if you try to do something differently. Windows has a problem if you do not know how to do it. That's about it (aside from the whole hardware/marketing/price thing...)

Old 06-18-2009, 08:58 AM

Then pardon my assumption. It's just that, in your description of your experience with the Mac OS, it sounded like you were describing issues with OS 9.

In my own experience, I haven't had a crash in so many years I can't imagine it ever happening. I leave my computer on 24/7, only rebooting after an install. I used to get the occasional browser lockup or "unexpectedly quit," but even that has been missing from my experience for over a year now.

I have heard of people experiencing difficulties with crashes due to non-standard RAM installed in their machines. It's possible she has a bad memory module. The bomb icon usually indicates a hardware issue.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:54 AM

Heh. I know what you are saying, but it gets difficult when it is just a cute icon!!

I have a weird talent for doing a combination of tasks in an unusual order (an example would be the loading of something from a mail program attachment at the same time as surfing something. They both needed Acrobat (Ironically Apple) and caused a conflict. But what shut down was the browser, not Acrobat.)

I know the systems are getting better, but they usually only get better for people who don't keep doing things differently (Or, ironically, ones that insist on doing it exactly the same!! )

Old 06-18-2009, 10:19 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,675,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Winkus View Post
Here's an abridged version of the story, as written in Apple-History.com.

The time and place for the most ground breaking announcements, however, would be MacWorld Boston in August 1997.

Jobs, who by now was being referred to as "interim CEO," made the keynote speech, and spoke of the company's upcoming aggressive advertising campaign, upcoming new Macs, and Rhapsody. He also announced an almost entirely new Board of Directors, including Larry Ellison, CEO of Oracle. But he saved the best for last. In a ground breaking decision, Jobs announced an alliance with Microsoft. In exchange for $150 million in Apple Stock, Microsoft and Apple would have a 5-year patent cross-license and, more importantly, a final settlement in the ongoing GUI argument. Microsoft agreed to pay an unreleased sum of additional funds to quiet the allegations that it had stolen Apple's intellectual property in designing its Windows OS. Microsoft also announced that Office '98, its popular office package, would be available for the Mac by years end.
This pretty much declared Mac the winner a long time ago.

Like they say..."Once you go Mac you'll never go back"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers