Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2013, 12:41 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Because of what, more integrated neighborhoods or more "in your face" hatred by the 'natives'? Not saying either as a criticism just not sure what you mean by "it".
Intergrated neighborhoods... Its more that more crime occurs in more places. Here you know what areas to avoid. Down there you are less apt to pinpoint where crime will occur.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:23 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Crime occurs because of integrated neighborhoods? I'm putting that claim under doubtful. The one factor that cuts across race, geography and history is poverty. Poverty is, by far, the number one disinhibitor to crime. Middle class blacks commit crime at about the same rate as middle class whites....

Old 07-28-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Crime occurs because of integrated neighborhoods? I'm putting that claim under doubtful. The one factor that cuts across race, geography and history is poverty. Poverty is, by far, the number one disinhibitor to crime. Middle class blacks commit crime at about the same rate as middle class whites....
I cant argue any of that. However...to argue TO your point, if you take section 8 housing and drop in a low crime neighborhood, what do you think will happen? That is something the south does more than the north.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:35 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
I cant argue any of that. However, with that said , if you take section 8 housing and put it right in a low crime neighborhood........... and that was what Charlotte would do when I lived there.
When I was much younger in Austin, I lived in a complex that had some condos that were section 8. I lived across the corridor from one of those units. Magically, no crime.

Does my anecdotal evidence top yours?

Old 07-28-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
When I was much younger in Austin, I lived in a complex that had some condos that were section 8. I lived across the corridor from one of those units. Magically, no crime.

Does my anecdotal evidence top yours?
No...I can tell you horror stories in Charlotte. But I wont bother since you it won't swing your opinion anyway.

I will tell you this. The couple that bought our house when we moved back up here told us they lived in a great neighborhood. About 5 years ago (7 now) they put a section 8 housing area in across the road from their complex. The crime got so bad they had to move.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:59 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
No...I can tell you horror stories in Charlotte. But I wont bother since you it won't swing your opinion anyway.

I will tell you this. The couple that bought our house when we moved back up here told us they lived in a great neighborhood. About 5 years ago (7 now) they put a section 8 housing area in across the road from their complex. The crime got so bad they had to move.
Depends on how its done , if its a few units in a larger complex then problems rarely arise. This is how its done Europe and Asia , in the US up intill 10 years ago Section 8 and Affordable housing were all lumped together and thus problems arose... Along with the housing developments being depressing and badly designed which attracted massive amounts of crime...

Old 07-28-2013, 02:07 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
The crime stats for Bloomfield would seem to support that theory.

Old 07-28-2013, 02:29 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post

LOL. 20 minutes later i get this anonymous "rep":

07-28-2013 04:24 PM Ahhh... "Riff raff". The CT code word for minorities. Another CT closet racist exposed.

Old 07-28-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:

07-28-2013 04:24 PM Ahhh... "Riff raff". The CT code word for minorities. Another CT closet racist exposed.
forum should change that practice. You should not be able to post something to someone anonymously.

Old 07-28-2013, 02:50 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:

The funny thing is I got a similar rep from someone simply for asking jp03 why he felt it was so since I wasn't sure which of the two things I said he was referring to. I never said I thought either theory was so.

Quote:
While I didn't want to go there with this, I'll say that when I was up in the Hartford area for a few months several summers ago I had a couple of black colleagues from Bloomfield and Windsor respectively and if I didn't know what they looked like and only knew them from voice, mannerisms, etc. I wouldn't be able to tell them apart from similar white middle-class/upper middle class folk at all. Heck, in many ways they both seemed culturally "whiter" than me LOL!

And having driven through both towns, if I only saw the houses and not the inhabitants I'd hardly think they were a "ghetto" either for that matter (and seeing the houses I'd wouldn't think it regardless of the color of who lives in them).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut