Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 07:07 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,935,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
Well, I'm not going to get into the immigration debate, but I will say it has been cold here the past few days. I am looking forward to the upcoming weekend weather.
Cold,I will take it any day,here in North Florida,sunny nice 100 plus with no relief!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 04:31 PM

3 posts, read 5,964 times
Default Welcome

Welcome to CT sorry that it has not yet met your expectations I agree with previous posters who suggest that you are homesick.

A side note, my daughter born and raised in CT married the love of her life at age 20. He is a Marine age 24. They live in Jacksonville, NC and now are being sent down to Pensacola, FL. She is worried about many of the same things you are experiencing here. She will need to transfer college credits, find friends.... Just like you.

With that said, congrats on being supportive of your husband. Perhaps look for a local church you could join and meet some people there. Also, think of your hobbies/interests and look for a group to join. Maybe your husband can meet some people thru work and you can make some friends that way?

Also, I have a 21 year old going to college at the University of Hartford and living in West Hartford. From what he says it is a very busy, social town. Lots of restaurants.... Perhaps look into that area.

Good luck sweetie and don't give up on Connecticut yet!

Old 06-28-2010, 08:50 AM

7 posts, read 15,645 times
im from connecticut,norwich.when i was 20 i left,best descision of my life,@23 i came back,connecticut is not the place to live in your 20s

Old 07-03-2012, 07:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,853 times
I live in new haven and i dnt live in an expinsive place i live in the projects i lived here al l my life and i like it thepoint is i live uptown but the whole city is like a new york / deep south mixture. many ppl think ct is like a boring state full of snotty rich ppl, but its not if you stay in one area of ct for the rest of your time and u dnt explore you will not find happiness and everyday will be boring. ive never been to enfield but cities like new haven, bridgeport, waterbury, hamden, new london, stamford have homes at low prices you can literally get a home (not apt.) for less than 22,00 now adays or a condo for less than 1000 dollars a month.
and about weather winters are cold where you are and very hadrd because of the hills but in lower ct winters are easy. its easy to get around n isnt as snowy
you'll have lots of fun in ct if you explore it more

Old 07-24-2012, 01:36 AM

30 posts, read 47,232 times
CT has the highest rate of people in their 20s/30s leaving and never coming back in the u.s.! it is tough. you did go to the worst area to try to do anything though, that's for sure, shame on your man for bringing you to such a blah area!

you would of been better being closer to hartford/west hartford. manchester. while if you're mature for 22 you could find the same issues trying to find clear headed 20 somethings anywhere, it can be tough, and those places I mentioned might not be much better, but it is a fighting chance to be SURE. for work, you should look a town over and keep going towards windsor- hartford. the job scene is really tough now, that's why we left, but I want to go back, but the job scene is still bad. you're closest to windsor locks, then windsor, then hartford, then west hartford. they all are bar scenes, but if you can find events going on, you could maybe meet some more level headed people. there is a coffee bar in east windsor that had stuff going on, it's near the walmart, it a little strip mall area.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:12 AM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,858 times
Portland: source of your first bullet?

Old 07-24-2012, 06:33 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Portland: source of your first bullet?
This is nothing new.
Between 1990 and 2004 Connecticut lost more 25- to 34-year-olds than any other state. That age group shrank 30% here (25% in New England as a whole), compared with a decline of only 7% nationally and gains as high as 60% in some states, according to Ross Gittell, author of a Carsey Institute fact sheet, “The Declining Young Adult Population in New England.” Gittell is a senior fellow at the institute and a professor at the University of New Hampshire’s Whitmore School of Business and Economics.

From 2000 to 2005 Connecticut had a net loss of 2,000 25- to -39-year-olds, says Peter Francese, director of demographic forecasts for the New England Economic Partnership (NEEP).
Losing the heart of our workforce - CBIA News

Old 07-24-2012, 06:55 AM

Kid: I'm a bit surprised and will need to dig in and further assess. West Virginia and Mississippi have unemployment rates above 20% for the 20-30 age bracket, while CT is less than half that for the demographic.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:10 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Kid: I'm a bit surprised and will need to dig in and further assess. West Virginia and Mississippi have unemployment rates above 20% for the 20-30 age bracket, while CT is less than half that for the demographic.
I think we're talking about different points. I was responding to the first sentence of Portland's post: "CT has the highest rate of people in their 20s/30s leaving and never coming back in the u.s.!". Statistically, that's true. Reasons for it are debatable. The unemployment rate of the said demographic has little to do with the number per capita of the "brain drain".

I doubt WV and MS have young population exodus rates that are higher than CT, simply because they are among the poorest states. Kids leave CT because they have the means to. One point I see made often is that it's due to COL, when in reality, the kids I know who are leaving are going to equally as expensive places: NYC, Chicago, DC, California, etc. I think it's more that they're going where the money is and jobs are rather than going where it's more affordable.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:15 AM

http://pschousing.org/files/PSC_25-3...ange%20(2).pdf

It appears to have slightly improved during the last ten years. CT is now ranked seventh in terms of population decline for 25 to 34 year olds. I think demographics are a huge part of this dynamic--- even California and Virginia registered a decline despite huge population growth (California on a nominal basis and VA on a percentage basis). I do see a few states registered large percentage gains, but all three experienced large gains in population on a percentage basis off a small basis. Utah, Nevada and Idaho were very sparsely populated pre-housing boom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut