Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2015, 06:11 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,904,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Although I do take notice of a phrase like this, I do understand the thought behind it and let it go.
What I wish cashiers and others interacting with customers would stop saying with a bright, cheery smile is
"How are you today?"
I don't want to appear grumpy and unfriendly but I do not enjoy to lying, even polite social lies, like the "Fine" most use as a response even when the true answer is "Lousy. I just came from the mortuary/hospital/huge fight with my best friend, etc, etc.
I decided years ago that people who work with the public are damned if they do or damned if they don't...do anything! Do you really think it's so easy to be bright and cheery when your mother is in the hospital dying? Do you think I don't get tired of saying "I'm doing great!" when I'm not? Maybe but believe me I WILL be judged by customers. Neither the cashiers OR the customers can possibly know what is going on in the other persons life. So should we just 'assume' that everyone is having a lousy day and say nothing? We are NOT psychics or mind readers so what do YOU suggest?? I HAVE had customers tell me honestly that their day is not going well because of something like you listed. All I can do is say "I'm so sorry and I hope things get better". But it won't stop me from greeting the next person in a "cheery" manner.

Another thing that bugs me is when a customer says "How are you today?" and say "I'm doing okay!" (not in a sad sack way)and they say "JUST okay?". What's wrong with "okay"? Do I always have to say "great/wonderful/fantastic/excellent"????? As long as I don't say "lousy" why would anyone care?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 06:20 AM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Demon View Post
Ah.....I wonder if these same folks would say "what's is the problem?" if the greeter said

"As-salamu alaykum" ??? instead of "Have a Blessed Day"??

Kinda like prayer in school....what the Christains mean is "our prayer...to the one and only Christian "God" ....not their "God"

Honestly....when you look at the goods sold there... the greeting at Wal Mart really should be in Chinese, don't ya think?
Oh right. Like THAT makes any sense at all here. So you gonna sue all the venues that play the national anthem, or America the Beautiful? Give me a break. Our country is founded on a belief in GOD, not Allah. If you choose to not believe, that is fine. Some people just want things to complain about. Clearly, you are one of them.

Old 02-05-2015, 06:33 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
. So should we just 'assume' that everyone is having a lousy day and say nothing? ?
Like the greeter that has other options, so do you.
Polite and welcoming cane be done without that.
Now, on the humorous side, I did learn something that turns the polite lie of "Fine" into a 'truth'.
One word would get filtered but you'll get it.
F.I.N.E. stands for ......F'd up, Insecure, Neurotic and Exasperated.
So, you and I can both smile and feel just fine saying it

Old 02-05-2015, 07:03 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,098,410 times
[quote=moodymoose77;38314461]Maybe the greeters should say Have a lousy day and make the Oscar the Grouches happy. LOL[/QUOTE

The greeters are there to greet. They should simply welcome shoppers. Not spew some bizarre meaningless jargon.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:22 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,322,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Our country is founded on a belief in GOD, not Allah.
Our country was founded on the principle of religious freedom, not a belief in one specific God at the head of one specific religion.

You're thinking of the early colonial days when Puritan fascists ruled their colonies with an iron fist. They're the ones who were all about a "belief in the [Christian] God" and no other. Not even other denominations were welcome - thus Quakers were dragged from their homes and lynched, Catholic priests were barred entry, etc. etc.

Essentially, America's earliest settlers were theocratic fascists who left the Old World because their tightwad belief system was more than even Europe could stand - so they went to the New World where they could be the bullies instead of the bullied.

The whole "America was founded by religious men and women trying to escape religious persecution" meme is a load of sugar-coated historical propaganda.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Our country was founded on the principle of religious freedom, not a belief in one specific God at the head of one specific religion.

You're thinking of the early colonial days when Puritan fascists ruled their colonies with an iron fist. They're the ones who were all about a "belief in the [Christian] God" and no other. Not even other denominations were welcome - thus Quakers were dragged from their homes and lynched, Catholic priests were barred entry, etc. etc.

Essentially, America's earliest settlers were theocratic fascists who left the Old World because their tightwad belief system was more than even Europe could stand - so they went to the New World where they could be the bullies instead of the bullied.

The whole "America was founded by religious men and women trying to escape religious persecution" meme is a load of sugar-coated historical propaganda.
Look on your currency. This is an example of what I was referring to. Absolutely, religious freedom is the basis, but the belief in God was certainly evident in most of those early discussions and decisions. And don't worry. I probably have forgotten more about the founding fathers and our constitution than you will ever know.. But for someone to say that a man wishing them to "have a blessed day" is INTRUDING is absolutely ridiculous.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:58 AM

35,690 posts, read 21,045,148 times
Quote:
Oh right. Like THAT makes any sense at all here. So you gonna sue all the venues that play the national anthem, or America the Beautiful? Give me a break. Our country is founded on a belief in GOD, not Allah. If you choose to not believe, that is fine. Some people just want things to complain about. Clearly, you are one of them.
Excuse me, but the Muslims -Allah is god- the Hindus you cannot be curtailing freedom for your taste- then we can go back where women can't vote and men are slaves- stop

Old 02-05-2015, 09:03 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,674,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
No one's saying he can't be nice. I like nice just fine. But I don't like, "Have a blessed day." First and foremost, precisely how would I accomplish that? If I could control blessings, I certainly wouldn't need him to tell me to do it. I would have blessed myself with enough cash I wouldn't need to shop at Walmart.

So since I can't control blessings, it implies to me that I need to pray or worship at some church or something
You have hit the nail on the head! I couldn't ever figure out exactly why the phrase sounds so fake (in addition to sounding preachy), but you have summed it up perfectly. Perhaps someone here who does say (or like) this phrase could address the points you raised.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Excuse me, but the Muslims -Allah is god- the Hindus you cannot be curtailing freedom for your taste- then we can go back where women can't vote and men are slaves- stop
Nonsense. Where on earth have I stated that ANYONES religious freedom should be curtailed. Take it to the great debates forum if you want to argue that.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:15 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,555,354 times
Quote:
You just proved that posters point. Congratulations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events