Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 11:37 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,513,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica2099 View Post
You sure are looking at this objectively. God forbid a hot blonde woman actually goes to college, and earns her degree to land a well paying job like everyone else.

Don't worry. A lot of people jump to this conclusion about her, because it happens anytime you are an attractive woman with a good job. I mean there can be absolutely no way that you got the great job from doing it the right way. It has to be because of your looks and only your looks. This is probably why I have become passionate about this topic, because on a smaller level, I can relate. Britt deals with it on a much higher level so I know that whatever I have heard is only a small fraction of what she deals with. Because of this she needs to defend her education frequently.

The beginning of this video isn't that bad. So what that she's saying that she doesn't want to be there. Then she says she "sue the place". How many customers per day do you think tell Gina (the towing clerk) that? Gina's heard that many, many times before.

The most curious and suspicious pause of this video occurs after Britt tells Gina "you guys only care about taking other peoples money". This is before ANY personal insult. We do not hear Gina's response but there is very noticeable edit here. If Gina never responded, why is an edit necessary? If there's an edit, then likely Gina has said something a little unflattering. If not, why hide it?

If Gina did say something unflattering there, then this therefore means she threw the first "personal level" punch. She might not have said something unflattering, but it is very reasonable to assume she did and this was edited out. Is it appropriate for Gina, while at work, to make a personal comment towards a customer.

Then we get to the part about the job, and really Britt's only mistake here. But was Britt backed in the corner by something, as in the above paragraph edited out? Did Gina, who later we know tells her to "fix her roots", so therefore we know Gina has paid notice to Britt's physical appearance, make the same kind of "barbie doll" reference that was edited out? Maybe, or maybe not. Do you know for a fact that she did or didn't. No. You don't know more then I do here, and ESPN doesn't either. So therefore, she is punished for a week. Do you fire someone based on this? If you do, then you don't belong in management because you are making a judgement on something in which you do not have all the facts. So if I a manager and trying to determine what is likely, are you going to consider the reputation of the other party, in this case, Advanced Towing? If you actually are a manager, then you better be. People reply that Advanced Towing's reputation doesn't matter. Oh yeah, it does.

TO conclude, Britt then is preparing to leave, and where she is then told by Gina to "fix your roots". If Gina did not say this, is not more likely that Britt, who at the beginning just wanted to get out of there, just leaves? Yes, it is. But now, Gina, in her own acting very unprofessionally, insults her, and in response, Britt counters.

Look, I realize many people out there just want to see a successful hot blonde get punished. Attractive women are used to that in workplace, from both men and women.

Thank you to those who have objectively discussed the topic.
Ok I agree somewhat with the bold part. A woman absolutely has to work hard to get ahead. And sometimes they have to work harder. But do you think she would of gotten to this position if she wasn't a " hot blonde" as you keep referring to her.

There are PLENTY of just as or more qualified women that can do Britts job. They just are probably NOWHERE near as pretty as she is. I Not trying to be chauvinistic about it just a observation. Unfortunately I believe this is a case of a person with a inflated sense of self that was used to her looks usually getting her way not working.
I bet if Gina was Gino and single this would not be on the news.

Her car got towed. While that's a upsetting circumstance she knew not to park there. WE ALL KNOW that sometimes we park where we shouldn't. But we do. And when we get towed we get mad.
Either way what she should of done is to go pay and get her car. Simply walk in and say you guys towed my 2014 super dooper pooper scooper. Then if she felt like she was wronged she should of sued. Simply sitting there yelling threatening acting like a jackass does absolutely nothing to rectify the situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 01:55 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,977,863 times
It's always extremely amusing to read comments on a story like this. I hear a lot of people throwing out terms like "bimbo" and "Barbie." What do Britt McHenry's looks have anything to do with this story? They don't but jealousy often drives people to like to see pretty people fall. When I hear women (many of them would probably identify as "feminists") tear down the Britt McHenrys of the world all I can see are envy and jealousy. Of course this post will get flammed and there will be strong denials but lets be real here. People like to see pretty people take a fall because of some vague internal feelings of injustice which are driven mostly by envy. People all want to raise up Gina, the allegeded victim, all because she is not pretty and not on TV. She's a "regular" person just like you and me. Since there's no preceived injustice by her mere existence and women are not jealous of her she gets instant sainthood her on C-D. By jove she's "pretty on the inside!"

I think 1 week is appropriate. I don't hop aboard digital lynchings, especially not over heavily edited tapes that were selectively released by the towing company. It's really easy for the towing company to take the high road and call for Britt to keep her job because they know the full story. In all likelihood Gina probably dished out her fair share of verbal cut downs, but she's one of the pretty people so there's no bloodlust to be satiated by calling for her job. You can't call her a "brainless bimbo" or a "talentless hack" so it's not fun to think she could have done something wrong. In reality 99% of the people on here would have wanted her fired simply because she is an attractive blonde. Even as the story has shifted and we're finding that Gina might not be so innocent people are sticking to their guns and at this point have pretty much admitted that they want her fired simply for being a hot blonde who they don't think has the proper amount of talent for the job.

Jessica2099 is pretty the only poster with her head on straight in this whole thread.

Old 04-19-2015, 05:15 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,313,683 times
I am utterly appalled by Ms. McHenry's behavior in this situation but I don't think she should be fired by ESPN. They don't need to fire her. Her career will progress no further, whether they leave her in place as a half-time interviewer or remove her. The public has spoken on this and she will be forever known as "that 'girl' who blew her stack when her car was towed." Not "that qualified, excellent reporter who had a bad day." Not "that woman who did the excellent interviews at the Super Bowl ... or the Olympics ... or on Outside the Lines" because even though she is already 28 her career has never advanced far enough to be on any of those assignments. It isn't because she's too pretty.

I have absolutely nothing against beautiful people. I have several young, beautiful women in my family and, of course, I want them to succeed professionally. I have a relative who has, on several occasions, been mistaken for the actress Sandra Bullock. Just like Ms. McHenry, she also has a master's degree from Northwestern University. But she works hard and is good at her job and I would not like to see her treated unjustly. But I doubt she ever will because she would never, under any circumstances, speak to a service worker in the way Britt McHenry did. And above all she's not dumb enough to hurl insults at another human in front of a CCTV camera.

Old 04-19-2015, 05:21 AM

2,601 posts, read 3,396,369 times
Quote:
No, she got the job because of her education and past experience. Is it an eye-candy type of job? Of course it is. ESPN does not just pick attractive young women off the street. Her degree and experience differentiated her from other attractive young females, which got her the job.
Nope....it's called luck/looks. All tv jobs like that. That's reality. Her "education" is not applied in her position. Does an engineer or doctor apply their education? Absolutely. A eye candy tv reporter gets that job based on luck and in many cases "past experience" was also luck. Trust me, a degree in journalism has no better chance of landing you a on air position at espn than a degree in acting will get you on a tv show or in the movies. It's luck. There's plenty of people with her credentials that could NEVER get that lucky to land a position like that. And anyway, it doesn't really matter since the issue at hand is her disgusting behavior. I don't' care if she's a nobel prize winner(she's a dumb bimbo) you don't treat someone like that.

Old 04-19-2015, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalbound12 View Post
It's always extremely amusing to read comments on a story like this. I hear a lot of people throwing out terms like "bimbo" and "Barbie." What do Britt McHenry's looks have anything to do with this story? They don't but jealousy often drives people to like to see pretty people fall. When I hear women (many of them would probably identify as "feminists") tear down the Britt McHenrys of the world all I can see are envy and jealousy. Of course this post will get flammed and there will be strong denials but lets be real here. People like to see pretty people take a fall because of some vague internal feelings of injustice which are driven mostly by envy. People all want to raise up Gina, the allegeded victim, all because she is not pretty and not on TV. She's a "regular" person just like you and me. Since there's no preceived injustice by her mere existence and women are not jealous of her she gets instant sainthood her on C-D. By jove she's "pretty on the inside!"
She made fun of the looks of the clerk. Very obvious. I'm not "jealous" of a pretty woman. That makes absolutely no sense. I'm a man. Men put pretty women on pedestal and treat them better not worse. There can be jealousy among women, but calling out men on that is laughable. The issue is her callous disgusting way of acting.

Do you honestly think she wouldn't be receiving this hell if she looked like an average woman? You're delusional if you believe that.

Old 04-19-2015, 05:32 AM

Has anyone ever watched "parking wars" on A&E to see how disgusting people act towards people in parking enforcement? These people are all nuts. They break the law and then scream profanities at the people paid to enforce it. Signs are clearly marked. If they believe there's not enough legal parking take it up with the city. Not a worker just doing his job. They'd never talk to cops like that.

Old 04-19-2015, 05:35 AM

Also, people are saying it's only "one side" of the story since it was edited. Well Britt had a chance to respond. If the towing employee said horrible things(equivalent to what she said) to her why did she not mention it? Your average person would have went off on Britt after she said what she said anyway. I think some people might have even gotten physical.

An F from the BBB for a towing outfit is irrelevant. Of course people get towed and then complain. If it was a mechanic, I'd be concerned. A towing company? I don't think so. She didn't even say she was LEGALLY parked and the tow was fraud in her statement she released afterword. So basically she admits to parking a tow zone and getting towed by not saying anything. I would think that's the first thing she'd say if she was parked legally!

Old 04-19-2015, 09:24 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,420,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
She made fun of the looks of the clerk. Very obvious. I'm not "jealous" of a pretty woman. That makes absolutely no sense. I'm a man. Men put pretty women on pedestal and treat them better not worse. There can be jealousy among women, but calling out men on that is laughable. The issue is her callous disgusting way of acting.

Do you honestly think she wouldn't be receiving this hell if she looked like an average woman? You're delusional if you believe that.
Men are jealous of pretty women. Usually it's because the pretty women refused to date them. I'm not saying that about you in particular, just answering your statement that men are not jealous of pretty women.

Old 04-19-2015, 10:01 AM

138 posts, read 114,803 times
Quote:
You sure are looking at this objectively. God forbid a hot blonde woman actually goes to college, and earns her degree to land a well paying job like everyone else.

Don't worry. A lot of people jump to this conclusion about her, because it happens anytime you are an attractive woman with a good job. I mean there can be absolutely no way that you got the great job from doing it the right way. It has to be because of your looks and only your looks. This is probably why I have become passionate about this topic, because on a smaller level, I can relate. Britt deals with it on a much higher level so I know that whatever I have heard is only a small fraction of what she deals with. Because of this she needs to defend her education frequently.

Quote:

Look, I realize many people out there just want to see a successful hot blonde get punished. Attractive women are used to that in workplace, from both men and women.

You and Britt should get to know each other because you sound like you would become very good friends as you seem to have that same flaunt it then dismiss it personality. Regardless, I agree with you that there is an overreaction towards Britt being made. I have worked in customer service and can tell you what Britt said is very, very light compared to others. Gina also doesn't do her job terribly well and seems too dismissive of Britt at the beginning, as if she just wanted her to sit down and shut up. That is bad customer service. You would think that a business like Advanced Towing, who will deal with irate customers all day long, would have someone a little more in tune with trying to explain to the customer why they are, and why the rule is in place, and why she was towed. Gina does none of this and I was not impressed with either of them.

Old 04-19-2015, 01:29 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,135,605 times
Quote:

The beginning of this video isn't that bad. So what that she's saying that she doesn't want to be there. Then she says she "sue the place". How many customers per day do you think tell Gina (the towing clerk) that? Gina's heard that many, many times before.

The most curious and suspicious pause of this video occurs after Britt tells Gina "you guys only care about taking other peoples money". This is before ANY personal insult. We do not hear Gina's response but there is very noticeable edit here. If Gina never responded, why is an edit necessary? If there's an edit, then likely Gina has said something a little unflattering. If not, why hide it?

If Gina did say something unflattering there, then this therefore means she threw the first "personal level" punch. She might not have said something unflattering, but it is very reasonable to assume she did and this was edited out. Is it appropriate for Gina, while at work, to make a personal comment towards a customer.

Then we get to the part about the job, and really Britt's only mistake here. But was Britt backed in the corner by something, as in the above paragraph edited out? Did Gina, who later we know tells her to "fix her roots", so therefore we know Gina has paid notice to Britt's physical appearance, make the same kind of "barbie doll" reference that was edited out? Maybe, or maybe not. Do you know for a fact that she did or didn't. No. You don't know more then I do here, and ESPN doesn't either. So therefore, she is punished for a week. Do you fire someone based on this? If you do, then you don't belong in management because you are making a judgement on something in which you do not have all the facts. So if I a manager and trying to determine what is likely, are you going to consider the reputation of the other party, in this case, Advanced Towing? If you actually are a manager, then you better be. People reply that Advanced Towing's reputation doesn't matter. Oh yeah, it does.

TO conclude, Britt then is preparing to leave, and where she is then told by Gina to "fix your roots". If Gina did not say this, is not more likely that Britt, who at the beginning just wanted to get out of there, just leaves? Yes, it is. But now, Gina, in her own acting very unprofessionally, insults her, and in response, Britt counters.

Man, if only you spent that energy and passion fighting for someone who actually is oppressed/struggling/in-need.

Or at least someone who would actually give a single crap about you. Lol. If I were Britt, I'd be secretly laughing at people like you. Doing my dirty work and making my life yet even easier! *whipsound*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events