Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2015, 05:53 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,179,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I bought a pair of boots 18 months ago, $49.00 and imagine I can get 6 more months out of them. A great deal but for the most part their prices (Auburn Wa Walmart) can be beat easily with a little footwork.

They do regularly stock boxes of raspberry Zingers which I keep a supply of in my tool chest at work. I need to restock.

I really don't see what the big deal about Walmart is. Very little of what we buy anywhere is made in America by Americans. I can't see how pointing the finger at a single company can solve anything. The problems higher up, in politics and the people we place in power. They're prostitutes.
Meanwhile my husband bought a pair of insulated, steel toed Red Wing workboots from Penn Lee Footwear 6 years ago for $180 and they are still in great condition after day in/day out of long days of physical labor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
No people don't want to actually research it and risk finding out that they need to take up another cause.
They just want to jump on the band wagon. Any wagon will do.
Not true. If you will please note in the beginning of my posts on this thread I said I haven't shopped at Walmart in about 10 years which would be 2005/2006. Look at the dates on the articles. Notice anything? Oh right, those articles about 10-12 years old which would coincide with my decision to cease spending money there and at other big box stores.

Old 04-22-2015, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Because one individual has no power against a large corporation, whether it's WalMart or BP or Exxon or GE or Monsanto or you name it.

As George Carlin said, the country is run by a club....and we ain't in it.

The U.S. is now run by corporations and organizations and a few uber wealthy individuals. The Koch brothers, the large corporations, the NRA. They pay to put people in office to do their bidding. The senators and representatives don't vote for what's good for YOU. They vote to do what the large corporations or the billionaire who put them in office want them to do.

So whether I shop at WM or not makes not a bit of difference. What may make a difference is contributing to politician campaigns for people who might take a stance against corporate America. Or when a new WM is slated to open near you, take off work and attend the local council meetings on teh subject and fight against it.

If we stopped giving our business to every large corporation that did bad things, we'd never be able to buy anything or hire a service company. No carpet from the chemical companies, no China items from all of the stores in America, no cars. They all do bad things. They exist solely to make a profit. They are not people. They are entities who owe nothing to individual countries. They are global. And they run the country now.

I agree with most of your post and I am a big fan of George Carlin. I think he hit the nail on the head.

My decision to do as little spending as possible with big corporations like Walmart is personal. I know they don't give a **** if I don't spend money there. Plenty of other people do. But for me, I feel uncomfortable spending money at these places when I can go somewhere else and support my friends and neighbors in their businesses.

Can I avoid all Big Corp? Sadly no. But I'll try my best to because its important to me.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:10 AM

37,460 posts, read 45,673,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenflute334 View Post
Membership is $45.00 and Similac isn't the only thing on the menu. I got my membership with a $20.00 gift card. So, it was only $25.00. I have two Sam's in my area.

$25.00 for 12 months is $2.08 a month for a membership for a year.
So you had a gift card. So what. That means the price is still $45. It's pricey. All of those clubs are pricey. For most people that are on a shoestring budget, those clubs are too expensive to join. Even then, you have to watch what you buy there - not everything is a bargain and some things actually cost more than at the grocery store.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:12 AM

37,460 posts, read 45,673,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Not true. If you will please note in the beginning of my posts on this thread I said I haven't shopped at Walmart in about 10 years which would be 2005/2006. Look at the dates on the articles. Notice anything? Oh right, those articles about 10-12 years old which would coincide with my decision to cease spending money there and at other big box stores.
Yet you post such dated articles to justify a current discussion.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:28 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,210,834 times
Cheap and poor quality. But we will shop there to compare large purchases and the catfood cans are cheaper there. Since my guy insists on feeding that stuff to the cat. I get to pay more for a quality dry food elsewhere.

I HATE that China owns most of our infrastructure. I have a hard time swallowing the fact that nearly EVERYTHING in Walmart is from China. I don't like too many things about the place, including the nasty people found there. Poor does not have to equal nasty. Have some dignity people! Keep yourselves up! <--saying to Walmartpeople

Old 04-22-2015, 07:21 AM

Quote:
I'm justifying my own position, not the discussion in and of itself.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:30 AM

40,928 posts, read 48,890,118 times
Quote:
50 Years ago we could have this same discussion about Sears putting all the Locals out of business.
Next it will be Amazon who is already putting a big dent in Brick Store sales.

I do believe most of us like to support our local businesses as much as possible. Many times, They just have limited selection and less convenient.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:36 AM

4,186 posts, read 3,714,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
But how do you define 'imported'?

If you watch Shark Tank, you'll notice a lot of small companies outsource the components and do assembly at home. They can claim made in the USA, since the pieces got done that way. But the overall process is a hybred import/local system. And they outsource to China since if they did all of it at home the cost would shut out a lot of potential customers.

If you add those taxes, you're going to simply burden all those people who now can't *afford* the product and are not going to be buying it anymore. So the company doesn't sell as many and may go under. How does that solve a problem?

Back when everything was made here, some of it was with cheaply paid labor. Now they go overseas to find that part of the equation. Part of the process is the making of the pieces, and if you make that more expensive it means you'll end up with a product which a lot of people can't afford.

Think of it this way. You have a 3 year old. The dress you buy won't fit in six months. You have one which costs about six months worth of wear. And then you have one which is better made and will end up in the used clothes bag in six months, but costs three times as much. Your income is limited and you'll need another dress when that one won't fit. So which do you buy?

Once upon a time, you had to get the expensive one, and passed it on to the next kid. That isn't how things get done now.
Yeah, I watch Shark Tank all the time and again, its about greed. I notice a lot of small companies want to be truly "American made" but the sharks don't necessarily want to invest because that's not where the money is. They believe in outsourcing, for the max profits. I just saw a blurb in the news yesterday how China has made a replica of a Land Rover that will cost about $50,000 less than an actual one. So yes they can make things much cheaper but I disagree with it as I feel it hurts the small business owner here in America who truly wants to be "American"

When I say increase the taxes on imported items I want the taxes to be the equivalent to what an "American made" product would cost so the choice would either be American or import, not "well this one is cheaper so im going to buy it". I think faced with this most people would buy American and in turn would keep these small businesses going and allow them to keep growing.

You are correct in your example that this isn't the way things are done now but I think it is very unfortunate.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:02 AM

2,438 posts, read 2,795,685 times
Quote:
So you had a gift card. So what. That means the price is still $45. It's pricey. All of those clubs are pricey. For most people that are on a shoestring budget, those clubs are too expensive to join. Even then, you have to watch what you buy there - not everything is a bargain and some things actually cost more than at the grocery store.
You can get a deal on a membership. $45 is cheap. You aren't going to shop there anyway, so why do you care?

Last edited by thegreenflute334; 04-22-2015 at 08:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events