Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2015, 07:15 AM

35,054 posts, read 31,258,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
So you had a gift card. So what. That means the price is still $45. It's pricey. All of those clubs are pricey. For most people that are on a shoestring budget, those clubs are too expensive to join. Even then, you have to watch what you buy there - not everything is a bargain and some things actually cost more than at the grocery store.
I've probably saved $45 alone in gas prices by just getting gas this year at Costco vs. a regular gas station. To me, it's a bargain, and a place low income people would want to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 07:19 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,057,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Because one individual has no power against a large corporation, whether it's WalMart or BP or Exxon or GE or Monsanto or you name it.

As George Carlin said, the country is run by a club....and we ain't in it.

The U.S. is now run by corporations and organizations and a few uber wealthy individuals. The Koch brothers, the large corporations, the NRA. They pay to put people in office to do their bidding. The senators and representatives don't vote for what's good for YOU. They vote to do what the large corporations or the billionaire who put them in office want them to do.

So whether I shop at WM or not makes not a bit of difference. What may make a difference is contributing to politician campaigns for people who might take a stance against corporate America. Or when a new WM is slated to open near you, take off work and attend the local council meetings on teh subject and fight against it.

If we stopped giving our business to every large corporation that did bad things, we'd never be able to buy anything or hire a service company. No carpet from the chemical companies, no China items from all of the stores in America, no cars. They all do bad things. They exist solely to make a profit. They are not people. They are entities who owe nothing to individual countries. They are global. And they run the country now.
I knew it must be the "evil" Koch's fault. I didn't know the NRA was also at fault.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:57 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenflute334 View Post
WRONG! Sam's Club sells this size for $31.98

Similac Advance Infant Formula with Iron, Stage 1 (34 oz.) - Sam's Club]

BJ's can kick the can, man!
Sam's Club is on par with BJs that you require a membership which is not the same as Walmart.

I love shopping at Sams Club also than at Walmart.

I get free samples while Walmart never gives out free samples.

Memberships pays for itself if you have kids, the savings from purchasing discounted products adds up. Just from paper towels and cleaners alone if I purchase from Walmart it cost more than the price of the membership at any wholesale club.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:03 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
I live in Northwest Arkansas and I am also ex- Wal-mart Corporate. New York is hardly a third world country to Arkansas. Now, answer my question.. Sam's -Similac Baby Iron $31.98 below. ( 34 oz) JB Blowhouse- $31.99

Similac Advance Infant Formula with Iron, Stage 1 (34 oz.) - Sam's Club
Since you used to work at Wal-mart, you should call up your Wal-Mart buds and tell them that both Walmart and Sam's Club's baby selection pales in comparison to BJs.

You gotten better but I ended my Sams Club membership last month because they don't have all my baby's needs.

- Limited diaper selection, natural ones?
- Baby wipes could be better, the Costco house brand baby wipes are good.
- Baby + toddler clothing section disappointing.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:28 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,282,508 times
Quote:
K-Mart is in Northwest Arkansas. So, is Target and a million other stores. Hell, half of you people have never been here to see what's here. People won't quit buying Nikes, Rolex, Prada, etc. but whatever. I bought 4 pairs of Nikes the other day. I won't wear anything else for a tennis shoe.. sorry.

Companies have to make a profit and any person has a lot of options not to buy a Nike shoe.

Nice thread.. but I have nothing more to add.
I've been to Northwest Arkansas more than a few times. Yes, there are malls and other box stores like Lowes. The people shopping in those places traditionally aren't going to buy shoes or outer clothing at Wal-Mart. They want higher quality or at least percieved higher quality.

K-Mart only has one store and it's in the chicken capitol of Springdale. Target has a store in Fayetteville and Rogers. Wal-Mart has least six stores in the area. I didn't count them all. There is even a "Wal-Mart On Campus". In addition to those, there are at least four Wal-Mart markets and one Sam's Club. There are a few Harp's and IGA's and four Aldi's. I couldn't find any high end grocery stores. With the exception of Aldi, the grocery stores are considered to be pricey. With only one Target, and one K-Mart, there simply is not a lot of competition in the area. The major employers in the area are Wal-Mart, Tyson and JB Hunt. Wal-Mart rules there. The other competitors find it hard to break into the market.

Northwest Arkansas is controlled by Wal-Mart because headquarters and related jobs are there. What happens there isn't necessarily reflective of what happens across the rest of the nation.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:48 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Why do people always go after Walmart? What about Target? What about Pier One? They are all the same, just Chinese importers. Walmart is no different than any other store EXCEPT they are victims of a media hype craze against them. Just like McDonalds. McDonalds is the same as all the fast food places, but they get all the media focus. These two stores are just buzzword places that get people all worked up. Just the media making money off of dopes.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:55 AM

2,438 posts, read 2,808,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I've been to Northwest Arkansas more than a few times. Yes, there are malls and other box stores like Lowes. The people shopping in those places traditionally aren't going to buy shoes or outer clothing at Wal-Mart. They want higher quality or at least percieved higher quality.

K-Mart only has one store and it's in the chicken capitol of Springdale. Target has a store in Fayetteville and Rogers. Wal-Mart has least six stores in the area. I didn't count them all. There is even a "Wal-Mart On Campus". In addition to those, there are at least four Wal-Mart markets and one Sam's Club. There are a few Harp's and IGA's and four Aldi's. I couldn't find any high end grocery stores. With the exception of Aldi, the grocery stores are considered to be pricey. With only one Target, and one K-Mart, there simply is not a lot of competition in the area. The major employers in the area are Wal-Mart, Tyson and JB Hunt. Wal-Mart rules there. The other competitors find it hard to break into the market.

Northwest Arkansas is controlled by Wal-Mart because headquarters and related jobs are there. What happens there isn't necessarily reflective of what happens across the rest o f the nation
Walmart is competive in price no matter where you shop was my point. Also, we have more Walmart stores here than that.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:00 AM

2,438 posts, read 2,808,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Since you used to work at Wal-mart, you should call up your Wal-Mart buds and tell them that both Walmart and Sam's Club's baby selection pales in comparison to BJs.

You gotten better but I ended my Sams Club membership last month because they don't have all my baby's needs.

- Limited diaper selection, natural ones?
- Baby wipes could be better, the Costco house brand baby wipes are good.
- Baby + toddler clothing section disappointing.
Sams dot com

Old 04-22-2015, 09:53 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Why do people always go after Walmart? What about Target? What about Pier One? They are all the same, just Chinese importers. Walmart is no different than any other store EXCEPT they are victims of a media hype craze against them. Just like McDonalds. McDonalds is the same as all the fast food places, but they get all the media focus. These two stores are just buzzword places that get people all worked up. Just the media making money off of dopes.
Funny, I don't spend my money at any of those places.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:58 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Funny, I don't spend my money at any of those places.
same here and I have never felt like I'm missing anything...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events