Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2019, 02:37 PM

609 posts, read 264,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Why in the world do you need someone who will walk you through a tech problem to be able to "culturally relate to you as a person" whatever that means?
Where did I say tech problem?

I've talked to many people in call centers in India, mostly regarding customer service issues.

Cultural differences in communication and approach to problem solving is often a real issue. Even if the person speaks perfect English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2019, 07:09 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,209,487 times
Has t been established that the Jack employee was an immigrant, or are just on some bizarro tangent here?

Old 09-21-2019, 09:01 AM

16,071 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Has t been established that the Jack employee was an immigrant, or are just on some bizarro tangent here?
Have you listened to the second video? It seems fairly obvious there is an accent or speech pattern that suggest English is not his first language.

Old 09-21-2019, 12:20 PM

22,334 posts, read 29,427,518 times
It sounds to me like this was deliberate so a lawsuit could be filed. The son easily could have ordered for her and there's no reason to argue for 2 hours. Give me a break.

Old 09-21-2019, 01:06 PM

50,778 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
It sounds to me like this was deliberate so a lawsuit could be filed. The son easily could have ordered for her and there's no reason to argue for 2 hours. Give me a break.
How on earth could they have known this person would refuse to serve her? She's lived her entire life deaf and lives in this area, so I'm going to assume most times she goes out to eat most people accommodate her as they are supposed to by law. As another poster stated, they were serving deaf and even hard of hearing people directly at the drive-up window even 25 years ago when he worked at Wendy's. So how would someone plan to get a jerk employee who A. Doesn't know the law and B. is enough of an a** to stand there and argue with her and mock her for 2 hours?

Once he refused, it ceased to be about getting food and became about principle and standing up for her rights.

Old 09-21-2019, 05:46 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,209,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Have you listened to the second video? It seems fairly obvious there is an accent or speech pattern that suggest English is not his first language.

"Seems" to "suggest". OK, thank you. After all the viral coverage and world-class investigative journalism and demands for his beheading, his identity remains a mystery. Maybe he s hiding in the Ecuadorian embassy.

Last edited by cebuan; 09-21-2019 at 05:58 PM..

Old 09-21-2019, 06:36 PM

Quote:
"Seems" to "suggest". OK, thank you. After all the viral coverage and world-class investigative journalism and demands for his beheading, his identity remains a mystery. Maybe he s hiding in the Ecuadorian embassy.
You’re being quite dramatic. No one called for his beheading. But he is a jerk for mocking her and a poor representative of his employer and he should’ve been fired so I’m glad he was. I don’t know why people started discussing what his nationality is, I don’t see what that has to do with a thing. But I don’t think people have been unduly harsh on him here for the most part.

Old 09-21-2019, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Having listened to the video, what are your thoughts on his status as a native English speaker?
I subscribe to the theory that something that looks like a horse, acts like a horse, and sounds like a horse could be zebra, but it's probably a horse. His English is awkward, therefore it's not unreasonable to assume it's not his first language.
Forums like these exist on speculation, if you insist on hard facts in cases where that can't be known then CD must be a huge exercise in futility for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Ydon’t know why people started discussing what his nationality is, I don’t see what that has to do with a thing.
Because it may have started as a communication problem when she went directly to the pickup window, not because she's deaf but because possibly his English isn't good, sort of like talking to people in call centers in another country and how frustrating that can get.
Someone else suggested it might be a cultural difference?

Last edited by DubbleT; 09-21-2019 at 09:18 PM..

Old 09-21-2019, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Having listened to the video, what are your thoughts on his status as a native English speaker?
I subscribe to the theory that something that looks like a horse, acts like a horse, and sounds like a horse could be zebra, but it's probably a horse. His English is awkward, therefore it's not unreasonable to assume it's not his first language.
Forums like these exist on speculation, if you insist on hard facts in cases where that can't be known then CD must be a huge exercise in futility for you.
Because it may have started as a communication problem when she went directly to the pickup window, not because she's deaf but because possibly his English isn't good, sort of like talking to people in call centers in another country and how frustrating that can get.
Someone else suggested it might be a cultural difference?
He understood what she was saying she spoke perfectly clearly. If he doesn’t understand English at all they wouldn’t of hired him for a position like that, he’d have been in the back mopping the floors. It’s much harder to understand what people are saying over those speakers then it is when the person is right in front of you. If he couldn’t understand someone speaking directly to him, how could he possibly take orders from the speaker?

I don’t think it’s a cultural difference either, they all watch the same new hire training videos and sign off on them. And again, there’s no culture where it’s considered OK to mock the disabled and argue with your employer’s customers.

Old 09-21-2019, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
He understood what she was saying she spoke perfectly clearly. If he doesn’t understand English at all they wouldn’t of hired him for a position like that, he’d have been in the back mopping the floors. It’s much harder to understand or people are saying over those speakers then it is when the person is sitting right in front of you.
Whatever, you tend to get tunnel vision when you've made up your mind about what happened and refuse to consider any other possibilty. I prefer to try to look at a thing from several possible angles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events