Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2019, 07:35 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I hadn't heard about THC cartridges coming from China, it's my understanding they were produced in the US but for the most part sold on the street, not in vape shops
Where would they all be coming from? The US marijuana industry in legal states is very tightly regulated. There are strict limits to how much you can buy and they know how much there is being manufactured. Now all of a sudden here in New Jersey where it’s not legal I can get cartridges on the street? Everyone I know who smokes now uses cartridges. How is that possible that there would be thousands and thousands of unaccounted for THC cartridges in NJ? It’s not possible in this tightly regulated industry.

So where are they are all coming from, is China although I suppose some are made in the United States but made llegally. If you go on Amazon and eBay, you can buy the empty cartridges in bulk, and these are designed for counterfeiters. Even a year ago, there were many many articles online about how to try to tell if yours are real or fake. The consensus of most of the articles is, if you are in a state where it’s not legal and you have some they are probably counterfeit.

Just legalizing it across the country would go along way toward solving this problem of kids dying and getting sick. Now they’re just going to ban flavored e-cigarette’s in a knee-jerk reaction, and so some industrious folks in China are probably busy making them now too and they’ll be less safe then they are now. Banning things has a long history in this country, and most normally simply results in a thriving black market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2019, 08:06 AM

2,495 posts, read 866,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I dont take this seriously, I mean, Cmon, there have been around 6 deaths related to these modern Ecigs and vaping...but when you look at regular cigarettes, they kill 500K every year and NO ONE even suggests banning them?!!!
Over 500 pulmonary injuries on record right now that are serious enough to land people onto vents in the ICU.

It happens suddenly. They're saying all of a sudden from out of nowhere the chest of a vaper tightens and every breath becomes a struggle. Lung biopsies reveal alveolar tissue coated with what appears, as some doctors have described, to be "bacon grease," and what others describe as "hardened e-liquid oil."

Aside from the oily substances, and fatty deposits known as lipoid (it means fats) pneumonia, glycols are solvents. Lungs weren't designed to breathe propylene glycol, nor glycerin. (Propylene glycol is also a neurotoxin.) Lungs were designed to breathe air.

Old 09-22-2019, 08:19 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,468,632 times
It is odd to me, however, that flavors are banned while nicotine in any form goes on and on and on.

Old 09-22-2019, 08:31 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,255,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
And here we go (this won't be controversial at all)...

It just seems funny that you guys are terming it "sick," "disgusting," and "nasty," yet you willfully did it. Now that you've quit, you're looking down on those who do. Seems very common with people who quit something. "I tried it but never got addicted." Thank your lucky stars, I guess?

I'm not a smoker, but I never get the rage against them. Ex-smokers can be the worst. (Like ex-overweighters, ex-alcoholics, etc....)

No saint like a reformed sinner.

Old 09-22-2019, 08:35 AM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
It's perfectly normal for an ex-smoker to feel this way once they've left the darkness and stepped into the light. Suck it up, buttercup.
When my mother quit, it didn't bother her. She kept ashtrays for guests and let people smoke in her car.

Old 09-22-2019, 09:36 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,093,479 times
Quote:
It's perfectly normal for an ex-smoker to feel this way once they've left the darkness and stepped into the light. Suck it up, buttercup.
nah... just like anything else (weight loss, going vegetarian, born again X, etc..) it is a sign of insecurities and a move to boost ego.

It isn't normal to stand on your accomplishments and look down on others that haven't or don't care.

Old 09-22-2019, 10:39 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,513,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haksel257 View Post
Nicotine gum needs to make a comeback. Safest way to consume, clean, non-offensive. It’s just ridiculously overpriced because it’s marketed to tobacco quitters.
Or you can just quit. I did. It takes a few days for the nicotine to come out of your system. After that it’s all psychological. As a former smoker I can tell you that if you want to quit I mean really want to it’s doable. I’ve gone through the “I want to quit” stage but didn’t really so the gum didn’t work. When I actually wanted to quit I literally put out my cigarette gave my pack of smokes away and never touched it again. I never had the cravings. It was like turning off a switch. It’s been 15/16 years and I never felt the craving.
I don’t care if people smoke. Just don’t smoke in my house or my car. I don’t enjoy the smell of cigarette smoke. When you smoke you really can’t smell it. But now? The smell is horrible

Old 09-22-2019, 10:41 AM
KCZ

4,663 posts, read 3,660,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastriver View Post
Aside from the oily substances, and fatty deposits known as lipoid (it means fats) pneumonia, glycols are solvents. Lungs weren't designed to breathe propylene glycol, nor glycerin. (Propylene glycol is also a neurotoxin.) Lungs were designed to breathe air.
Quote:
It is odd to me, however, that flavors are banned while nicotine in any form goes on and on and on.

Propylene glycol is a primary ingredient in anti-freeze and used in chemical manufacturing. In its infinite wisdom, the FDA has approved it for use in foods, cosmetics, and medications. It's used to prevent caking of dried foods like dry soup mixes, keeping foods like shredded coconut and marshmallows moist, and in flavorings in all kinds of foods from soda to ice cream. One extra drop of flavored PG in a quart of ice cream makes it inedible, and I won't even use it. It's thoroughly disgusting and needs to be banned from human ingestion.

Old 09-22-2019, 10:41 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,382,413 times
Quote:
Says the person with a username that's slang for an addictive substance.

When are you going to leave the darkness and see the light?

Old 09-22-2019, 10:58 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastriver View Post
Over 500 pulmonary injuries on record right now that are serious enough to land people onto vents in the ICU.

It happens suddenly. They're saying all of a sudden from out of nowhere the chest of a vaper tightens and every breath becomes a struggle. Lung biopsies reveal alveolar tissue coated with what appears, as some doctors have described, to be "bacon grease," and what others describe as "hardened e-liquid oil."

But e-cigs have been around in this country since 2006, and popular for at least the last 5 years. Yet it is only now that people are getting sick, all at once, and only a very small percentage of consumers who use them. That points to contamination, not vaping in general. If all of a sudden 500 people started getting sick from Pizza Hut, they wouldn't conclude pizza is bad for you, they'd look at contamination.

95% of all e-cigarettes are made in China. China has a history of sending us contaminated products whether it's pet food or flooring or any number of things. But again we love to demonize an industry as a whole, and this looks like a win-win for politicians so they are going to jump on it. Never mind the fact the majority of the people who died or got sick were known to or admitted to using THC cartridges, which outside of legal states are almost all counterfeit. But even those who didn't and only used e-cigs are vaping e-cigs that came from largely unregulated Chinese factories. To me it's ridiculous not to look at contamination as the most likely cause.

In the meantime, regular cigarettes kill half a million Americans each year, and they continue to be legal and easily accessible. And the same politicians from the Carolinas and other tobacco-dependent states who are joining the push to ban e-cigarettes would fight to the death to prevent smoking tobacco from being banned. It's all BS to make it look like they are so very concerned with the health of our youth. Those pols are probably leading the push to ban e-cigs not due to health concerns, but because they affect the market for tobacco.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 09-22-2019 at 11:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events