U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-25-2019, 11:25 PM
 
11,531 posts, read 3,037,177 times
Reputation: 7710

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes, this is what I think it is, too. My fiance and I were given cartridges by someone, and they tasted really weird, like chemicals, very unlike the ones I had tried before. I started doing a little research (and also we tossed them). There were many, many articles about the counterfeits, and one stated outright, if you're not in a legal state and you're buying cartridges, you're buying counterfeits. The legal states control quantity and keep track of it much too tightly to allow all these tens of thousands of carts to be suddenly available in non-legal states.


Of course, the solution is legalization and regulation, get rid of the market for the counterfeits and you stop the problems stemming from them. But of course they won't do that. They will end up banning e-cigarettes as a knee-jerk reaction, then of course a ban results in one thing....you just created a huge market for counterfeit e-cigs, too.
I think that may actually be the goal here...its pretty similar to what they did with opioid prescription drugs too (they demonized these drugs and cracked down hard on the doctors and manufacturers)...but all that did was pave the way for LOADS of heroin addicts, since they couldnt legally get opioid pills anymore). Turns out, that was a VERY good financial move by the drug cartels/ Law enforcement!!



Its very similar in many ways....first step is to demonize, then create new laws, so legit companies can no longer manufacture them, and that opens up a whole new market to the cartels...and LOTS of new criminals for law enforcement to go after, for years to come, plus more budget money they will ask for, to help fight this new threat to pubic health and safety. Brilliant imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-25-2019, 11:50 PM
 
7,354 posts, read 4,059,226 times
Reputation: 15557
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
Stay tuned, they will eventually, and it will be akin to what I have been posting.
If that is anything more than just an individual unfounded opinion you would be supporting it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:26 AM
 
602 posts, read 209,727 times
Reputation: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes commonly smoking was still pretty much accepted in the 90s. I had a student internship in college in 95, and the hospital I worked at had a smoking room right inside the hospital.
I know the Master Settlement banned most advertising and vending machines and that California banned smoking in bars at the same time (1998).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:16 AM
 
11,531 posts, read 3,037,177 times
Reputation: 7710
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguitar77111 View Post
I know the Master Settlement banned most advertising and vending machines and that California banned smoking in bars at the same time (1998).
Hmmm, there were still a few cigarette vending machines around here, post 1998, I remember buying a pack from one in 2004, I hated to do it, since a pack was close to $10. in the machine!


I dont remember why I didnt just stop at a gas station, I knew I was in a hurry and the vending machine was outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:36 AM
 
602 posts, read 209,727 times
Reputation: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Hmmm, there were still a few cigarette vending machines around here, post 1998, I remember buying a pack from one in 2004, I hated to do it, since a pack was close to $10. in the machine!


I dont remember why I didnt just stop at a gas station, I knew I was in a hurry and the vending machine was outside.
I meant with the exception of vending machines in locations that are 18+ to enter or require ID.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:43 AM
 
Location: Seminole County, FL
10,168 posts, read 7,007,862 times
Reputation: 12892
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguitar77111 View Post
I remember my parents telling me to NEVER smoke well before 2002, and I remember a teacher saying the same and talking about second-hand smoke in 2002 or 2003.
My parents were always against smoking, so I never partook. It was also taught to us in school that it was bad, and to avoid secondhand smoke. Nevertheless, it was still allowed on our school grounds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:55 AM
 
21,695 posts, read 17,185,961 times
Reputation: 40427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
My parents were always against smoking, so I never partook. It was also taught to us in school that it was bad, and to avoid secondhand smoke. Nevertheless, it was still allowed on our school grounds.
My parents or grandparents never smoked, but my brother was seven years older than me and I always wanted to be like him and do whatever he did. He smoked since he was a young teenager. Everyone blamed him when I started smoking LOL. But I actually made a conscious decision to start, and eighth grade. I felt like I was to goody-goody and I needed some kind of vice. My best friend actually gave me lessons on how to smoke including how to blow smoke rings. Almost everyone starts smoking when they’re young and stupid that’s the problem. And then by the time you’re old enough to know better, you’re physically and psychologically addicted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 11:59 AM
 
11,531 posts, read 3,037,177 times
Reputation: 7710
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
My parents or grandparents never smoked, but my brother was seven years older than me and I always wanted to be like him and do whatever he did. He smoked since he was a young teenager. Everyone blamed him when I started smoking LOL. But I actually made a conscious decision to start, and eighth grade. I felt like I was to goody-goody and I needed some kind of vice. My best friend actually gave me lessons on how to smoke including how to blow smoke rings. Almost everyone starts smoking when they’re young and stupid that’s the problem. And then by the time you’re old enough to know better, you’re physically and psychologically addicted.
YES, I started because a friend who was a couple years older, started smoking and I thought it made me look older and 'cool'. Marlboro brand was the 'cool' cigarette to smoke back then too. I was 13 at the time. There were MANY kids at school who smoked too, it wasnt a big concern back then, people would freak out if middle school aged kids were smoking out in public today!



I had uncles and relatives who smoked at the time, but my parents tried to stop me from doing it, but I went behind their backs and did it anyway, eventually, at some point, they just let me do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 05:23 PM
 
Location: Texas
2,041 posts, read 1,423,078 times
Reputation: 6950
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
If that is anything more than just an individual unfounded opinion you would be supporting it here.
Interesting.
https://youtu.be/XvocgufYPHo?t=848
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 02:22 AM
 
7,354 posts, read 4,059,226 times
Reputation: 15557
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
What's interesting is that brief interview did more to broaden the scope of the problem than to narrow it towards prevention. Do you really think it supported your contention?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top