Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2009, 04:23 AM

11 posts, read 29,980 times

Advertisements

I hear you. I stopped attending those weekly meetings about a year ago. By the way, dont leave out the BUILDERS. The Government and lenders might have helped to wean this mess but the BUILDERs set the price tag. I guess they figured if an athlete can command a 5,000,000 salary then certainly an extra 200,000 plus profit on a lower priced home is no big deal. You might find it more relaxing (in retirement) to help establish a grass roots movement among us over-the-hill gang folks and tackle at least a part of the beaucracy. There is strength in numbers. I would nominate Charley for President.

When it comes to economics I profess ignorance. I always thought that when the party of the first part was willing to sell something for x dollars and the party of the second part was willing to pay y dollars that an agreed upon z dollars consummated the deal. But the lenders apparently need to have an appraiser to ensure (in old language) everything is hunky-dory. My realtor tells me that the latter analysis (by the appraiser) is driving her to an early retirement.

I guess us horse racing fans should be happy that when horse owner a wants to sell his horse to horse owner b that a third party is not required to analyze the worth of the horse. Horse buyers also take out loans.

Sorry Charley I promise never again to get off of the subject matter of this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 04:28 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,040,657 times
It's not off topic. I think it's quite relevant.

By the way, thanks - but if you're nominating, I'd much rather be nominated to be one of the cooks at the community barbeques.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:45 AM

17 posts, read 62,214 times
Default 55+ in N. Deleware

I am new to this forum. Just completed reading all 85 pages. Lots of great information. Thanks to all.

I am interested in any experiences or information anyone might have regarding 55+ communities in northern DE, Middletown and north. I know of Fox Meadow in Newark and Spring Arbor in Middletown. My upper limit is about $325,000. Resales OK.

Thanks in advance

Old 12-10-2009, 03:37 PM

46 posts, read 110,390 times
Default Middletown and north

We did not spend any time looking at plus 55 communities north of Middletown because of prices. I did some research and learned that the better values in both total costs and taxes for up to $350,000 homes did not extend north of Middletown. In time, of course, that may change. We bought in Spring Arbor because we got a tremendous house for a very reasonable price, taxes are ridicuously low compared to NY, we are close enough to the ocean/larger cities/health care facilities/shopping and etc. And, we are willing to put up with the inconvenience of traffic problems common to the area. It really could have easily been Champions or Heritage Shores (both of which we liked a whole lot) but we chose to be a bit closer to NY City where our kids live. As has been said here many times, there is a community for everybody but only you will know it when you find it. Another issues for us was the builder. McKee is well known among those who are knowledgeable in such matters. They speak highly of their corporate culture and dedication to customer service, homes that survive with limited maintenance, good floor plans, and generally straight forward communications with the public. We have not moved into our new home yet but we have spent considerable time with McKee's folks and they are all very professional, very clear, and very low key. You could do worse!

Old 12-11-2009, 04:34 AM

11 posts, read 29,980 times
Good Morning.

While Christmas shopping yesterday came across a wonderful coffee mug that those of us happily looking toward that next move would appreciate (especially Cant wait to retire). A picture of a computer terminal adorned the outside of the mug with the caption "I hit the escape key but I'm still here".

Charlie you have my support for a Cook at the barbeques but I think you oughta include Independence in your December trip (if for no other reason than to tell them in person that they missed a potential sale). I have not found driving through Delaware to be a problem (yet). Can travel the State (go to Dover alot) rather quickly (from Southern Maryland).

I got a call yesterday and they are willing to drop that ridiculous Premium Lot charge if we enter into serious discussions (about a purchase).

Actually, the Premium Lot charge (for the homes sites visited in Delaware) seem mild compared to What Winchester Homes is charging for a 55+ community located in the Shenandoah area. Most of the sites (located in the mountains) overlook a forest area surrounding a large lake. Gorgeous. At present, Winchester (whose homes are exceptional) is selling some homes in the high 200's. But all you have to do is pay an additional 180,000 dollars for a 6000 square foot lot. Sounds great (if you're Robert Redford). I was told he has bought a home there.

I believe we will be heading back to Independence next week for a second look. My wife and I also have been studying the 55+ communities for the past two years but only recently have seriously considered the move.

It is nice to hear that those that have made the move seem happy with their choice.

I always like to have a game plan when making a major decision. All things being equal (regarding home selections) I like Independence (aside from the finished clubhouse and indoor/outdoor pools)because should we decide (down the road) that the move was a mistake (for whatever reason) I do not believe selling the home would be a problem (based on location).

Of course if the Developer goes belly up... Aint decision making fun.

Old 12-11-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecal View Post
... but I think you oughta include Independence in your December trip (if for no other reason than to tell them in person that they missed a potential sale).
Sorry, but I wasted enough of my time on them. They don't get another minute.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:06 AM

124 posts, read 264,103 times
Elizamary - just curious. How much snow do you have in Magnolia? My hubby and three son-in-laws have been shoveling and blowing snow for hours and with many hours yet to come. We're daydreaming about next year in CC when our snow (if there is any!) will be removed FOR us not BY us!

Old 12-19-2009, 12:21 PM

699 posts, read 2,894,297 times
hi can't wait... I border CC and can see their clubhouse and models from my morning room. The plows have been steady there, they are doing a great job keeping up with the storm. We had almost a foot this morning in Magnolia, our neighbor used a snow blower on our driveway but it needs it again! Some sleet has been mixed in too. It is really pretty here, nice for those who can sit home and enjoy.

Old 12-19-2009, 12:26 PM

Seeing the report on Champions Club brings a smile to my face. (I'd love to know if they are doing comparable work at Roesville.)

Last edited by Gone-2-Beach; 12-19-2009 at 12:35 PM..

Old 12-19-2009, 12:35 PM

699 posts, read 2,894,297 times
You betcha Charley.... OOpps spoke too soon... dunno about Roesville though..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware