Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2009, 05:46 PM

19,922 posts, read 11,040,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner950 View Post
Welcome home, Charley! And thanks for more helpful info. I can't help but grin at where you are now, compared to even 6 months ago..I'm glad your battle is over and you can focus on the future. I learn so much from your posts! I'm surprised at how many resales there are in the "older" communities...did you see lots of "for sale" signs? Is there a lot going on during the day...building, grading, etc?
I'd be interested to hear from other singles, what their concerns are, what they have found out...as usual, this thread is awesome.
Thanks so much. I appreciate your good wishes as I did throughout the year as you continued to send me good thoughts while I was going through treatments. You and so many others have been more than kind and I'm very grateful.

As far as resales, there were none that I saw in the two communities that I spoke about earlier. Part of seeing Champions Club was going up to see Springmill in Middletown. Those homes were built by the same builder as Champions Club and I wanted to see how those homes were holding up 5-6 years later. They were absolutely beautiful, like new - a tribute to the builder (McKee) and the home owners! There was one resale that we saw at Springmill.

We did not see actual building occuring while there, but realize that it was a weekend and it followed a 16 inch snowfall - although most of the snow was gone after a beautiful 57 degree Dover day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 06:23 PM

124 posts, read 264,103 times
Hi everyone and specifically, sojourner 950:

We found out that one of the homeowners on one side of our home that is being built in Champion's Club is a single woman and another house on our court is also owned by a single woman. We had previously met a nice single gal who recently moved into her home so I think you'd have lots of "gal pals" @ CC and most of us who've been married for many years do lots of activities that don't include our hubbys!

While we were sitting in front of our lot in CC yesterday (just admiring "our dirt") a big truck pulled up and dropped off the "big steel things they put in a basement." If all goes well they'll begin our excavation this week or next week. Yippee.....the process has begun. We're excited! As we spent more time just driving around different areas of Dover and Kent Co. over the weekend we were even more impressed with the quaint historic area, the quality and closeness of shopping and services and how impressive Kent General looks from the outside. We went to our Church Sunday for the first time and met lots of nice members who were very welcoming and excited for us to be joining their congregation some time next year. We even tried out the closest motel to CC and although it is an "economy" chain of hotels our room was very clean, warm, the TV worked and the continental breakfast was adequate. So now we know we have close-by lodging for friends and family who don't want to sleep on our sleeper sofa or on a pump up mattress in our basement!

Old 12-31-2009, 06:07 AM

135 posts, read 298,487 times
Ok, everyone....we are totally excited! Spent the day at CC yesterday (the entire day!) with Susan making our interior selections. Did everything except the flooring, which we will do next Tuesday. Susan made it an thoroughly enjoyable experience...no pressure, she was very knowledgeable and I think we made some great choices. McKee gives you a week to think about your selections, she also gave us an option sheet with "maybes" to think about. Next week we sign on the dotted line for all the upgrades. We decided not to purchase our washer/dryer, stove and refrigerator through McKee as we did not like what they had to offer and added a gas line for the stove ($750) as I do not like electric for cooking. We upgraded quite a bit in the kitchen (as I think everyone does) but, truthfully, their standard selections were quite nice. It's just we had never built a home before and since this will be the last one.......
Charlie, I'm delighted you are thinking about CC, I'm totally convinced we made the right choice. Love the location and the homes are really well built. If you are interested in a 3 bedroom, did you not like the Doral? That is our choice.
Can't Wait, I know how you feel looking at your pile of dirt! Hope it stops snowing (got 2" last night) and we will be looking at our own pile of dirt soon.
Here's to a great summer in "Little D"!

Old 12-31-2009, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cant wait to retire View Post
Hi everyone and specifically, sojourner 950:

We found out that one of the homeowners on one side of our home that is being built in Champion's Club is a single woman and another house on our court is also owned by a single woman. We had previously met a nice single gal who recently moved into her home so I think you'd have lots of "gal pals" @ CC and most of us who've been married for many years do lots of activities that don't include our hubbys!

While we were sitting in front of our lot in CC yesterday (just admiring "our dirt") a big truck pulled up and dropped off the "big steel things they put in a basement." If all goes well they'll begin our excavation this week or next week. Yippee.....the process has begun. We're excited! As we spent more time just driving around different areas of Dover and Kent Co. over the weekend we were even more impressed with the quaint historic area, the quality and closeness of shopping and services and how impressive Kent General looks from the outside. We went to our Church Sunday for the first time and met lots of nice members who were very welcoming and excited for us to be joining their congregation some time next year. We even tried out the closest motel to CC and although it is an "economy" chain of hotels our room was very clean, warm, the TV worked and the continental breakfast was adequate. So now we know we have close-by lodging for friends and family who don't want to sleep on our sleeper sofa or on a pump up mattress in our basement!
Cant' Wait..would you mind sharing where you stayed? JIC we get stuck sometime.

Old 12-31-2009, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susieC View Post
Charlie, I'm delighted you are thinking about CC, I'm totally convinced we made the right choice. Love the location and the homes are really well built. If you are interested in a 3 bedroom, did you not like the Doral? That is our choice.
The Doral is absolutely beautiful. But we'd like something a little smaller.

We found a more creative way to solve the problem of the third bedroom. I would be using it as an office, so rather than incurring the cost of the difference between the Augusta and the Doral, we can add a mini-sunroom to the Augusta for "about" half of the cost. (It will depend on what we select in windows, etc.)

All the research and all the questions asked and answered are starting to pay off now. If it's Champions Club, the Augusta + sunroom meets all of our needs.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:57 PM

124 posts, read 264,103 times
susieC: We also enjoyed our selections process @ CC (we worked w/Diane; guess they have more than one interior designer). We, too, felt that we were not pressured to select options we did not want or felt did not fit into our budget. Our only big interior upgrade were our wood floors. My husband can do anything construction-wise, mechanical, electrical (he's very slow but his workmanship is extraordinary; I would never want to have to pay him by the hour!) so some of the standard items we selected we'll be able to swap out after we move in (faucet upgrades, installation of ceiling fans, standard vinyl floors to dura ceramic, etc.). Afterall, we have the rest of our lives - LOL! We drove by what I think was your lot - Congratulations on your choice. We stayed at the Microtel motel/hotel whatever they call it, on Lebanon Rd., just outside the entrance to Dover AFB. I wouldn't hesitate to stay their again. There we're many guests there - guess it was because it was the weekend after Christmas. I've called there before and they were completely booked one weekend. She said lots of the reservists who drill once a month at the AFB were staying there.

Old 01-01-2010, 05:53 AM

Thanks Can't Wait...does your husband hire out? Unfortunately, we are at the mercy of hired help for anything related to construction, plumbing, etc.
Charlie, I'm going to say some prayers for your "early release"! It does seem as if it took forever to get here but I think it was the same for everyone. The folks who post on this blog seem to be very thoughtful and cautious, which I guess is why we are here.
This site has been an enormous help to us....thanks to all and a Happy New Year.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:19 PM

46 posts, read 110,390 times
I'm glad to see folks moving to CC. McKee is a terrific builder. We have been in our new Lowell model in Spring Arbor in Middletown for a couple of days and I'll post early feedback. We love it! We had dinner at our first-ever new year's party in the clubhouse here last night. Met lots of people. Loved the music and the food. My wife danced and I watched. We learned that we might need a humidifier with a McKee house as ours is so well insulated. Wish I could give you more feedback on the house but it is, so far, perfect.

We learned that the local emergency room is across the street from our development. I've already used it and was seriously impressed. Great care, very quick to see the doctor. Learned that a multiplex movie theater is being developed in our neighborhood. Discovered how to navigate the road system to avoid backups on 299. they are widening a couple of local roads and making plans for other improvements which are sorely needed but locals know how to avoid the trouble.

Spoke to several residents in this community who have been here for two years or so. They all love it here, love the homes, etc. There are no resales here so far as anyone could tell me. A lady moved in next to us on the same day we did who came from a farm in MD and has never had a neighbor. Another lady closed on her home on the other side. So three of us all in one set of three carriage houses closed within three hours. Four other closing were scheduled in the week.

Some couples eat out every day, breakfast and dinner. I now know the names of several places with eatable food. I also learned quite a bit about fishing. We are fifteen minutes from Delaware Bay and thirty minutes from Chesapeake Bay. More on that next summer.

My best wishes to all for a great new year!

Old 01-02-2010, 04:22 AM

Norman - sounds like everything worked out just the way you had hoped and I'm very happy for you. Just one minor concern - you mentioned you need the services of the emergency room. I hope you're OK.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drnorman View Post
I'm glad to see folks moving to CC. McKee is a terrific builder. We have been in our new Lowell model in Spring Arbor in Middletown for a couple of days and I'll post early feedback. We love it! We had dinner at our first-ever new year's party in the clubhouse here last night. Met lots of people. Loved the music and the food. My wife danced and I watched. We learned that we might need a humidifier with a McKee house as ours is so well insulated. Wish I could give you more feedback on the house but it is, so far, perfect.

We learned that the local emergency room is across the street from our development. I've already used it and was seriously impressed. Great care, very quick to see the doctor. Learned that a multiplex movie theater is being developed in our neighborhood. Discovered how to navigate the road system to avoid backups on 299. they are widening a couple of local roads and making plans for other improvements which are sorely needed but locals know how to avoid the trouble.

Spoke to several residents in this community who have been here for two years or so. They all love it here, love the homes, etc. There are no resales here so far as anyone could tell me. A lady moved in next to us on the same day we did who came from a farm in MD and has never had a neighbor. Another lady closed on her home on the other side. So three of us all in one set of three carriage houses closed within three hours. Four other closing were scheduled in the week.

Some couples eat out every day, breakfast and dinner. I now know the names of several places with eatable food. I also learned quite a bit about fishing. We are fifteen minutes from Delaware Bay and thirty minutes from Chesapeake Bay. More on that next summer.

My best wishes to all for a great new year!
drNorman, your post is wonderfully encouraging..please keep us updated as the weeks go by. The neighborhood sounds wonderful....all the best!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware