Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2014, 04:25 PM

560 posts, read 916,187 times

Advertisements

Caveat emptor!
A warning to 55+ (and other) communities. There is a potential scam going on in our area. A company called "Capital Meats" is sending a door-to-door van around local neighborhoods. These guys claim to be selling discounted meats from companies "like" Omaha Steaks, etc. In reality they are hustlers peddling cheap meat for very high prices. You can Google them and see some of the numerous bad reviews. They came to my door today and I abruptly sent them away and notified our neighbors and the sales office that they were here. Door-to-door sales are not permitted in our neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 05:08 AM

9,725 posts, read 14,269,161 times
That bunch was in our town a couple of years ago, along with a few other solicitors. We have a NO SOLICITING law here. I love it! My husband keeps them busy at the door, asking about the product, I call our town policeman, and within 3-4 minutes our policeman shows up in our driveway and arrests him. We live only 2 blocks from our police station, and the repoire we townspeople have with our police department is wonderful. We love it that our 2 policemen sometimes walk the beat, and offer us an opportunity to ride with them for an hour or two, to see what they do.

Last edited by rdlr; 01-17-2014 at 05:56 AM..

Old 01-17-2014, 10:51 AM

1,916 posts, read 3,913,022 times
I LOVE your story, rdlr! Thumbs up! We have "no soliciting" signs at both entrances to our development (very obvious, can't miss them). However, we must have quite a few illiterate and ignorant people around given we still have the occasional door to door salesman or some idiot preaching their religion at my doorstep. I'm a teacher and I feel the need to educate these people when they make the mistake of knocking on my door. One thing I cannot stand is somebody disturbing my peace at my own home (this offends me greatly) or pushing their religion on me. Gosh, they never return after meeting us .

We had those meat salesmen around too--looked very shady, as if they just got out of prison. I saw them riding around a neighboring development. I hope they stay away from ours!

Last edited by DelawareLiz; 01-17-2014 at 11:50 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-17-2014, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post
We had those meat salesmen around too--looked very shady, as if they just got our of prison. I saw them riding around a neighboring development. I hope they stay away from ours!
LOL - Yep, that's them - pretty shady looking! Who would buy from them????

Old 01-22-2014, 07:10 AM

Brrrrrrr. A true blustery day here in Roesville, but my coffee is hot and I'm looking out the window watching the crew shovel the snow. Life is good when you're retired and don't have to venture out to work!

Old 01-22-2014, 11:45 AM

53 posts, read 112,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin'2DE View Post
Brrrrrrr. A true blustery day here in Roesville, but my coffee is hot and I'm looking out the window watching the crew shovel the snow. Life is good when you're retired and don't have to venture out to work!

I agree esp. since it's so cold outside. Love being retired !

Pat

Old 01-23-2014, 11:14 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,427,256 times
Smile me, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnest130 View Post
I agree esp. since it's so cold outside. Love being retired !

Pat
I can never understand people who say they would not want to retire. I worked with a nurse who was turning 70 and working 60 - 70 hours a week and her husband (retired) wanted her to retire. She could not talk about it without crying. She did retire and waited the necessary 3 months before coming back casual status and again was working so many hours she was jeopardizing her pension. Finally left when a difficult new computer system was installed. Her husband was a retired university professor, they had 2 grown children and a house paid off for about 20 years. She was just a workaholic. Glad I have other interests.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree2011 View Post
I can never understand people who say they would not want to retire.
Happiness means different things to different people. May we all find happiness in our own way. My happiness (at almost 74 yrs. old is) ....... Whoops.....Never mind.
Clue: It's NOT retirement!

Old 02-17-2014, 06:22 AM

It has certainly been quiet around here lately. I hope ya'll at Champion's Club, Noble's Pond, etc. are doing OK this winter.
The sun is shining here at Roesville today and it looks like it's going to be warmer this week.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:17 AM

652 posts, read 340,713 times
Default New guy here

Hello all. Just started on CD, and I see I have one huge thread on 55+ communities to go through! I do plan to read as much as I can, as it seems to be chock full of good info. Could anyone just tell me if any of the communities offer bigger lots than usual? We would like to have a little more land than it seems you normally can expect. Not looking for an acre, but maybe more than 1/3 would be nice. Thx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware