U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-14-2014, 09:59 AM
 
Location: Dover, DE
1,802 posts, read 3,834,022 times
Reputation: 2495

Advertisements

kitten: One place you can check is Ideal Active Adult Communities | 55 Places and search for Delaware. It will bring up several 55+ and active adult communities located in all parts of the state. You can click on each one and get details including pricing and what kind of amenities. Once you click on the individual community you will see several tabs, one of them being "Homes For Sale" where you can also check out some re-sales.

Once you have chosen several communities that you may be interested in, contact each place and ask for them to send you some information. Once you receive it you should find info concerning HOA fees, whether it is land lease or fee simple, and a ton of other information. Once I got these I actually made myself an Excel worskeet comparing them all.

Once you choose an area that you are interested in, go to realtor.com and start another search. The great thing about that site is that you can put in your requirements, such as price max and min, number of beds and baths. I used that a lot when we were looking so that we could see what was on re-sale as well as new construction.

There are so many wonderful areas of Delaware and once you come up with a list of your must haves, the people here are so very helpful! We aren't there yet, but have done a ton of research in our search for a home in DE. this thread was very helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-14-2014, 10:23 AM
 
Location: Conn.
805 posts, read 896,729 times
Reputation: 648
Thumbs up Me, too!

I will watch the replies to you, as I am in a similar situation. I was in Delaware in the spring and ready to put down a deposit on a homesite when I found out that 2 of my top choices had a leash-law for cats. That would not work for me (or my cat), so had to scratch those 2 places off my list. I am planning to come down in early November and have 3 places I will look at with no leash law for cats; one is not age-restricted but does have a nice clubhouse and pool. A few other places I contacted will not even tell me their rules on cats, saying when I come down I can see the by-laws or HOA rules. It is not as if it is easy for me to travel 450 miles to see a list of rules, so those places are down on my list at this time. A couple of places also told me we can go over their house sizes and prices when I come down. I need a similar size place to what you are seeking (though I can pay a higher price, up to low 200's) and the ads they sent me showed 4 and 5 bedroom places. I thought it was reasonable to ask for a 2 or 3 bedroom, or 2 bedroom with a sunroom, would be possible. I live alone so these huge houses would not make sense for me. Since I am not getting any younger, at this point, if the all-ages complex looks good, I will probably just decide on that and move in the spring.

Good luck. I feel that with so many people wishing to move to Delaware some of these builders feel they don't have to accommodate buyers since they can sell all the houses they can build, at least now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2014, 11:07 AM
 
Location: Former LI'er Now Rehoboth Beach, DE
7,869 posts, read 10,553,387 times
Reputation: 7952
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree2011 View Post
I will watch the replies to you, as I am in a similar situation. I was in Delaware in the spring and ready to put down a deposit on a homesite when I found out that 2 of my top choices had a leash-law for cats. That would not work for me (or my cat), so had to scratch those 2 places off my list. I am planning to come down in early November and have 3 places I will look at with no leash law for cats; one is not age-restricted but does have a nice clubhouse and pool. A few other places I contacted will not even tell me their rules on cats, saying when I come down I can see the by-laws or HOA rules. It is not as if it is easy for me to travel 450 miles to see a list of rules, so those places are down on my list at this time. A couple of places also told me we can go over their house sizes and prices when I come down. I need a similar size place to what you are seeking (though I can pay a higher price, up to low 200's) and the ads they sent me showed 4 and 5 bedroom places. I thought it was reasonable to ask for a 2 or 3 bedroom, or 2 bedroom with a sunroom, would be possible. I live alone so these huge houses would not make sense for me. Since I am not getting any younger, at this point, if the all-ages complex looks good, I will probably just decide on that and move in the spring.

Good luck. I feel that with so many people wishing to move to Delaware some of these builders feel they don't have to accommodate buyers since they can sell all the houses they can build, at least now.

Why not list the communities here and we may either have a member who lives in the community or who can find out for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2014, 11:15 AM
 
Location: Former LI'er Now Rehoboth Beach, DE
7,869 posts, read 10,553,387 times
Reputation: 7952
That gives us a bit more to work with. I am unaware of anyplace in Rehoboth or Lewes that would fit your purchase price, other than a mobile home park. That is not to say it doesn't exist, just that I don't know about it. You can get community center and a pool that are not in 55+ communities and there are plenty of them. As a transplant I am only familiar with this area to be able to speak about it but I do know that other areas of the state will fit your parameters, at least purchase price wise.

When you say rent, are you speaking about ground rent (leased land as opposed to fee simple) or rent as in renting a home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2014, 10:08 AM
 
12 posts, read 29,752 times
Reputation: 21
Default Care to share?

Please share names of communities you are referring to. I, for one, would really appreciate whatever info you can offer. (P.S. I also have a cat.) Was at Nobles Pond a few days ago to check out new Somerset cottage model...actually no model is there until maybe March, but I did get questions answered. Community itself is nice, but IMO surrounding area was kind of depressed looking. Long drive and had to get home before dark, so no chance to check out other communities this time. I come from a lovely small town about 1.5 hrs north of NYC..maybe since Delaware is a coastal plain area I can't expect a lot of trees and manicured roads without car dealerships and unappealing little strip malls. Did you notice that? Maybe I have to reserve judgment until seeing other areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2014, 10:44 AM
 
Location: Conn.
805 posts, read 896,729 times
Reputation: 648
Smile thanks, that might help me out

I got one email from a builder, Lacrosse Homes, which builds in Dover, I believe. Cannot even find out he size of the homes and my query re: the cat went unanswered. Heard from Willowood, up in Smyrna and I got the impression the cat might be all right there. Preserve at Chestnut Ridge, all ages, told me no problem with the cat. I know Longacre Village and Nobles Pond are out of the question now. Don't know about Fieldstone Village and I got the impression at Southern Meadow that they do not want a cat that goes outside. The cat, like me, is getting on in years and goes outside and sits in the sun, or on a hot day seeks shade - then goes to sleep again. I am hoping to build a house with a screen room and he may be happy with that and not even go outside much.

Can't believe I am having such a hard time finding a small house for one adult and one cat. I will be ready to relax when I finally get moved!

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2014, 11:01 AM
 
Location: Conn.
805 posts, read 896,729 times
Reputation: 648
Smile thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathleenMary View Post
Please share names of communities you are referring to. I, for one, would really appreciate whatever info you can offer. (P.S. I also have a cat.) Was at Nobles Pond a few days ago to check out new Somerset cottage model...actually no model is there until maybe March, but I did get questions answered. Community itself is nice, but IMO surrounding area was kind of depressed looking. Long drive and had to get home before dark, so no chance to check out other communities this time. I come from a lovely small town about 1.5 hrs north of NYC..maybe since Delaware is a coastal plain area I can't expect a lot of trees and manicured roads without car dealerships and unappealing little strip malls. Did you notice that? Maybe I have to reserve judgment until seeing other areas.
Are you looking in Delaware, or already there? I liked Nobles Pond, but was told in no uncertain terms that the cat could not go out, except on a leash. One community actually told me maybe I could get a big cage, like a dog crate, and put the cat in it so he could "still be outside". I felt like I was trying to bring a wild animal with me, having to cage it up.

I like the convenience of Nobles Pond location, and Longacre Village as well. I can go to Smyrna, since it is still close to Dover.

If you are still looking, good luck in your search. I actually like the geography and landscape of Delaware - it reminds me of eastern Connecticut, the wetlands and beaches. Not as many trees as I am used to, but I like that it is mostly flat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2014, 11:23 AM
 
Location: Conn.
805 posts, read 896,729 times
Reputation: 648
Smile my input

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten2014 View Post
Thank you nuts2uiam for your quick response. The problem is, we are not sure what we want. We are active in late 50's. Buy or Rent. We can only afford $100,000 to $125,000 to buy; $1,000 t0 $1,200 to rent. Not fond of Pre-Fab Manufactured/Mobile Home houses. We are all over the place. We knew about the HOA's but now are learning about Land Lease/Purchase (ground rent/fee simple). All very scary. What we do want is a 3 bedroom, 2 bath one floor single home with open floor plan & 1 car garage, as well as low HOA fee ($300-$400 for taking care of mowing lawn/shoveling snow). We like the thought of a community center and outside pool but you can only get that with 55+ communities. Half hour from Beach would be good. Are we unrealistic in our search in Delaware?

As a long-time veteran of a house-hunt myself I would suggest when you next go to the Dover area to take a look at the local senior center, Modern Maturity. I have not seen any other that matches it. All the usual senior activities (many of which you can get in a 55+ community anyway), but a nice gym and an indoor pool that I was told is kept at about 88 degrees. The pool alone is worth joining the center for and would be mostly usable (for me anyway) in the cooler months.

Also, in Dover, on my latest visit, I found a nice park, Silver Lake, with a nice lake, sandy beach, walking trails, etc. Not sure if the water is to swim in as I didn't see any signs posted either way, but it would be a nice spot to spend a little time in on a nice spring or fall day. Maybe rdlr knows about the possible use of the lake. I did see fishermen there.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2014, 11:30 AM
 
Location: Conn.
805 posts, read 896,729 times
Reputation: 648
Smile another community I would like info on, if possible

Another community I could not get info on, re: home sizes or the cat, is Meadows at Chestnut Ridge in Magnolia, built by Timberlake. Maybe someone knows something about this community.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2014, 02:00 PM
 
12 posts, read 29,752 times
Reputation: 21
Default re: kitties

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree2011 View Post
Another community I could not get info on, re: home sizes or the cat, is Meadows at Chestnut Ridge in Magnolia, built by Timberlake. Maybe someone knows something about this community.

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree2011 View Post
Are you looking in Delaware, or already there? I liked Nobles Pond, but was told in no uncertain terms that the cat could not go out, except on a leash. One community actually told me maybe I could get a big cage, like a dog crate, and put the cat in it so he could "still be outside". I felt like I was trying to bring a wild animal with me, having to cage it up.

I like the convenience of Nobles Pond location, and Longacre Village as well. I can go to Smyrna, since it is still close to Dover.

If you are still looking, good luck in your search. I actually like the geography and landscape of Delaware - it reminds me of eastern Connecticut, the wetlands and beaches. Not as many trees as I am used to, but I like that it is mostly flat.
Here is a link to the Timerlake Homes New Home Communities in Suburban Maryland, Eastern Shore & Delaware . You will get a pop-up to start a live chat...why not try it! Their homes seem to be more for families though...many BR's and starting at $250.000 I think. I'm quite sure none of these types of communities will allow animals to run free though...there will always be someone to complain about it. I'm still living north of NYC in a small community, and years ago built on a 3 season room, which I LOVE! Turns out my kitty loves it too and is quite happy to curl up on a chair to nap in a sunshine spot...too cute! Anyway, everyone is happy, and kitty is safer. Your screen room idea sounds like it would be perfect...and you'll enjoy it too. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top