Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2010, 06:33 AM

388 posts, read 998,173 times

Advertisements

[quote=doctorjef;17172904. IME in most states only dogs are required to be kept vaccinated against rabies. Our cats are purely housecats so the rabies jab serves no purpose other than to maintain our right to bring them back into the UK without quarantine.[/quote]
Interesting......when I lived in PA, my cats always had to get rabies vaccinations. I was told that rabies was migrating north from nearby MD and therefore PA required it also. When we moved further north to NH, no requirement for cats was necessary. However a subsequent lateral move to ME a few years later found our having to maintain rabies certification in this state. Obviously every state is different and it falls upon a prudent pet owner to find this out. Unenforceable? Perhaps, especially if kitties remain indoors, although they could easily become infected by contact if one ever escaped outdoors or even if a visiting pet was contaminated. Best to remain on the safe side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 07:07 AM

560 posts, read 915,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Thank you so much. You are definitely the "go-to" lady for info on Kent Co. I will mail in the form and check today.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:54 AM

33 posts, read 56,955 times
Does anyone know how the snow was at Southern Meadows?

Old 12-29-2010, 08:46 PM

1,680 posts, read 2,555,661 times
BobCM,

If you are not from the northeast, you may not be aware of the real chance that a cat may be exposed to rabbies - even if it is a indoor cat that just manages to escape out the door on rare occasions. In PA they have required rabbies shots of all cats that are household pets for more than 10 years.

I have seen a few foxes and racoons during daylight hours acting strange and I am glad I am in my car and not out walking when I see them - as I expect they are sick.

I even got a call from my Vet's office two years ago to verify I did not have contact with three kittens, while I was there with my cat. Turns out the three kittens had rabbies and had to be put down.

Not everyone knows how serious the rabbies problem is in the north east and it is really important to get your pets their rabbies shots. Just imagine how you would feel if your grandchild went over to pet your neighbors cat and it turned out the cat had been exposed to rabbies and the owner never bothered to take the time to get the cat its shots.

I am glad DE and other states in the north east are being pro active when it comes to requiring pets to get rabbies shots.

Mary2014

Old 12-30-2010, 06:30 AM

560 posts, read 915,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCM View Post
Delaware should concentrate more on illegal alien shot records than that of honest citizens
Our dogs are US citizens. I have their birth certificates to prove it.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:02 AM

Hey Goin', have you met up with Charley yet? What does Roesville have planned for NY's Eve?

Old 12-30-2010, 07:15 AM

Goin' - I'm also hoping more people contribute to this thread by tomorrow night so we can break the quarter of a million hits mark. Just need 23,534 more people in the next 39 hours - c'mon people we can do it, make originator Charley proud!

Old 12-30-2010, 10:31 AM

137 posts, read 313,540 times
Default Southern Meadow snow report

A poster asked about snow removal at Southern Meadow, and I thought I'd give a quick answer. I'll try to remember accurately as I wasn't paying much attention since I was in the kitchen most of the time preparing for the crowd coming for Christmas dinner.

Saturday morning they came around and spread salt on the streets. Saturday evening the plow guy came through and did the first pass. Sunday's wind, however, played havoc with the blowing and drifting, so that they did a second pass. Monday morning my son and dh were out shoveling the bump at the end of the driveway so that the kids could head for home. I saw Jim, our head go-to guy here, out with the little plow doing the drifted over spots again. I don't know what to call the little plow--it looks something like a mini front-end loader. It reminds me of the sidewalk plows we had in upstate (the north country) NY and is about that wide.

Everybody was out and about Sunday afternoon and Monday doing shoveling, and helping each other out. The dh was kidding number one son who inherited our 9.5 hp snowblower telling him he needed to bring it with him from Cleveland next Christmas.

We didn't get any mail service Monday, but the trash guys did come by on Wednesday as usual.

All in all, this former New Yorker/Michigander was not inconvenienced with the snow. It felt like a normal Christmas, although I am being continually assured, "it doesn't snow much in Delaware." It's back to Florida for us on Monday for the rest of the winter.

By the way, speaking of blowing and drifting, Irish Hill Road was pretty bad what with those 30 mph winds. They could sure use some snow fences at the edges of those farm fields.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:57 AM

9,718 posts, read 14,254,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanddollar View Post
It felt like a normal Christmas, although I am being continually assured, "it doesn't snow much in Delaware." It's back to Florida for us on Monday for the rest of the winter.

By the way, speaking of blowing and drifting, Irish Hill Road was pretty bad what with those 30 mph winds. They could sure use some snow fences at the edges of those farm fields.
Hello, Sanddollar! Enjoy Florida!

I've heard "it doesn't snow much in Delaware" from newcomers a number of times, too. But I prefer to trust my 70 1/2 years experience here.

In the OLD days, DelDot put up snow fences, but that was then and they haven't done that in quite awhile. Here's an excerpt from a DelDot interview with Dan Gaffney on that subject, dated 12/27/10.

"A number of roads were made impassable because of the strong winds, which blew the snow into drifts across the roads. Snow fences were a tool that’s been used in the past in Delaware, but is no longer being used because of the cost, according to Westhoff.

The snow fences ended up being expensive, because with the rising real estate costs, and then the landowners wanted to charge money for the snow fences, and then it became a lot of work for the fences.” Westhoff didn’t rule out the possibility of using snow fences again in the future".

Last edited by rdlr; 12-30-2010 at 12:14 PM..

Old 12-30-2010, 01:47 PM

1,680 posts, read 2,555,661 times
Here is my take on SNOW be it in DE or anywhere else - if I have to get to or from work I hate it! I only have to travel 10 miles to work, but, I get so anxious my blood pressure goes crazy. I am fortunate I have an understanding boss who tells me to "go home" if it starts snowing and I am at work.

In three years time I can retire and then - let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow! I will be perfectly happy to wait until the darn stuff melts! Ditto when it comes to driving at night during deer season. And can't wait to be able to do my grocery shopping during the week instead of fighting the crowds on the weekend. And how about those senior citizen discounts if you shop on a Tuesday or scheduling a delivery to your home or serviceperson out to do repairs? All the things that are problems now will no longer be a problem in three years. Darn, I am even going to use my "good china" everyday when I retire and who cares if a piece gets broken - I have 12 place settings!

Mary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware