Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2014, 12:49 PM

560 posts, read 916,021 times

Advertisements

While nothing personal is intended, I must reply to the previous poster in defense of our Roesville Community.
Yes, we are more rural than some other 55+ communities, but one must consider what is included in the price of the homes.
At Roesville the following standard amenities (available in other areas as over-priced options) are included in the price of the homes:

Gas fired, tankless, on demand water heater (not a big tank that is always on wasting gas or electric)
In ground lawn irrigation system to keep our fully sodded lawns lovely.
Natural gas heat (not propane)
Walk up attic over the garage (no pull down stairs)
Ceramic tile master bath
Energy star appliances
Larger lots
No jet aircraft flying overhead
Built-in internet center
Direct line plumbing system
Concrete driveway (not asphalt)
Choice between having a study or an extra bedroom at no additional charge.
Exterior designs that come in colors other than simply shades of tan or gray.
Fenced in rear yards are allowed for gardens and/or pets.
Lawn mowing and snow removal
etc., etc...

These standard features might add up to thousands of dollars in other areas as optional but you should note that a home of comparable size and price in our nearest competitor's community will cost you a pretty penny more than here at Roesville.

So if you want to live in a traffic congested area with all the noise and waste that comes with it, or if you must have (and want to pay for) a huge clubhouse (most are empty the majority of the time), Roesville might not be your first choice. But if you crave peace and quiet, wonderful small town feel with helpful and friendly neighbors, no jet noise or traffic, prefer to spend your retirement money on trips and travel rather than expensive options, and don't mind a 10-15 minute drive to the grocery store, Roesville is the right place for you.
We especially enjoy our social events at every holiday, and often for no reason other than to just get together. We also support many local charities, have organized out of town trips, are involved in the adopt a highway program, animal shelters, and a senior living home in the area.

We have enjoyed every minute since we moved here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 05:06 AM

75 posts, read 140,019 times
Hello Goin’2DE, I hope you and all others here are doing well. For the benefit of this thread which has undoubtedly helped me in my quest while trying to decide my 55+ homestead and this thread’s continuance I would like to reply by saying that I’ve finally made the move after starting my research in 2010.

I will tell you that if you’re thinking of relocating to a 55+ community then you really do need to do your homework. And there is no perfect haven but you can come close. Firstly, this is the right forum to come to. Although I started out as a lone wolf searching where it would best benefit me to retire to and decided that Delaware was retiree friendly, it wasn’t until I stumbled unto this site that planning my community visits came into focus.

Based on all the research I had done on the Internet and after discovering this City-Data forum, my search began to zero in on what I expected would be my final destination…as in retiring and not the movie…or maybe both.

Before long after reading through this thread I had narrowed my search to a handful of communities and that was soon narrowed down even more after some review to a choice of three. And after visiting them all and talking with the people, it finally came down to one for me. No doubt it was tough. As I came down the line in trying to decide I had to ask myself some serious questions about what I expected my retirement life to be like.

The top two on my list were Champion’s Club and Roesville. And I, for one, liked the fact that Roesville was a little out of the way. It’s more rural than most but that in itself can be very appealing as it was to me coming from NYC. Their homes are quite beautiful and well spaced apart. Their only drawback which drew me closer to my decision to go with Champion’s was the option to redesign the home which couldn’t be done with modular homes as in Roesville. But if you like their designs and have no wish to change things over, then you’ll be very comfortable and happy there.

Club houses and such are an individual thing like for those who need to do therapy work and although it sounds like a great deal, not everyone goes for them. Some folks are sociable and some are not or some are semi-sociable. Club houses are an asset to a community but at the end not an overall necessity for everyone.

As far as air flight over Champion’s…I’ve lived in NYC all my life…yes talk about noise. La Guardia and John F. Kennedy airports were both 20 minutes away from me and you can spend countless nights viewing and hearing air traffic over head there…air traffic over Champion’s is quite negligible unless you want to spend your life measuring sound decibels, it serves as a reminder as to who we are as a nation.

All in all, this thread was initiated to get answers about and give directions to 55+ communities in Delaware and it has surely served this forum well. Thank you Charlie and all.

Old 10-02-2014, 06:42 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,872,604 times
NY2DE..........So glad to see that you have found your retirement home. As I mentioned before, we had narrowed it down to Champion's Club and Noble's Pond. The choice was very, very, very close. Hubby preferred CC because of lot size, but there were things that made me lean towards NP. Due to some luck we were able to upgrade the lot size at NP, which made hubby happy, so that made our final decision of Noble's Pond. Luckily we also were able to do some redesigns to make it better for us. We have signed all the papers and are now waiting for them to get the building permit to start the house. Closing is set for 4/13/15......I'm really excited!

I'm sure you will be very happy at CC....wishing you luck with everything! The area is nice, the homes are nice, and the people we spoke with seemed to be great. We currently live near Charlotte, NC and we get a lot of airport noise. Heard a LOT less up there. We were up there a week after Labor Day and there were days that we didn't see or hear anything, so coming from NYC you should be fine. In fact, hubby is looking forward to becoming a tour guide at the museum. He is an old plane fanatic.

Here's to both of us starting our retirements in the great state of Delaware!

Old 10-07-2014, 07:32 PM

374 posts, read 517,589 times
Congratulations to both NY2DE and Rothbear on finding your new homes. Sounds like you both have picked wonderful places that meet your needs.

Think that posting to this thread to keep it "alive" is a great idea. We began our search in Delaware based on the great info on this thread, and although we wound up not purchasing in a 55+ community it is still a wealth of knowledge for anyone looking to relocate here. We moved to the Lewes area in April and couldn't be happier!

Best wishes to both of you. EED

Old 10-11-2014, 06:11 AM

388 posts, read 998,629 times
Default Been there, done that......

I am writing this as a - I suppose you could say - a veteran by now of the relocating process. We moved to DE to a 55+ community over 3 years ago and I have to say this thread was invaluable.

This thread has dropped off in participation over the past year or so - I find it no coincidence that others who were looking at the same time we were (2010) have also settled and therefore don't feel the need to come back here. It served our purposes at the time and I must say, if you look at the entries from 2009 through 2012, well, this board was jumpin'! It's sad in a way that the level of participation has dropped off and I often wonder why. Most of us found this whole forum quiet by accident. I guess I can chalk it up to those back then were very involved with the board and interacted offline (I know I did) so there was a certain camaraderie among ourselves because we had a common goal.

I do drop back in on occasion but never felt the need to join the conversation as it really is for newcomers who are in the exploring stage. I would be sorry to see this thread die out. Charley, the originator of this thread way back in 2007 is now a neighbor of mine and we are both very active in our community.

Three years may not seem like much (especially at our ages! ) but in ways it does seem so long ago that we too were exploring DE. I cannot stress how helpful this 55+ thread is. I shake my head to think how lacking my education of the subject would be without this board.

Wherever you end up in DE - or not, as the case may be - your participation today will be used tomorrow by others. I guarantee it! Pay it forward, right?

Old 10-11-2014, 06:46 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,116,584 times
Little eggplant, I agree that CD proved to be one of the best sources of info for us, both when we were looking and once we settled. I still log in at least once a day to see if I can offer any info that I have learned in the last 18 months that we have lived here. From my perspective living in Rehoboth, my observation is that back then, there seemed to be more interest in this area as opposed to "up north" which seems to be where more of the questions seem to be coming from. I have found more and more that the questions relate to younger people looking to move to De. and looking for good schools. Everything is cyclical.

That said, why not start a thread about your discoveries since you are here. Don't leave the board, you never know who is reading and just not posting that you an offer a nugget that might spark an interest. Just yesterday, I went to the Rehoboth Beach Convention Center for 52nd annual RB Christmas Shop. They had many interesting things for sale both for Christmas and not holiday related. They also had many beautiful articles of clothing, handbags, and art. It is on through tomorrow. 10 - 5 today and 11- 4 tomorrow. Admission is $1 an the proceeds go to fund local charities.

Old 10-11-2014, 12:53 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,872,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
That said, why not start a thread about your discoveries since you are here. Don't leave the board, you never know who is reading and just not posting that you an offer a nugget that might spark an interest. Just yesterday, I went to the Rehoboth Beach Convention Center for 52nd annual RB Christmas Shop. They had many interesting things for sale both for Christmas and not holiday related. They also had many beautiful articles of clothing, handbags, and art. It is on through tomorrow. 10 - 5 today and 11- 4 tomorrow. Admission is $1 an the proceeds go to fund local charities.
Nuts2uiam.....that sounds really interesting! We have the Southern Christmas Show down here, so I'm glad to see there is something akin to that in DE. Looking forward to it next year.

I would like to see a thread listing special events and comments about them. I did start one asking about any kayak clubs for my hubby, but I make and sell handstamped cards and gifts and would love to know about good craft shows in the area. I have been doing this for about 15 years and am looking forward to some new venues. I would also love to find some things that we can take our daughter to see when she visits. We are already considering the Food & Wine Festival, but she would also be interested in something to do with craft beers.

Old 10-13-2014, 12:13 PM

30 posts, read 59,611 times
I have been reading this thread for a couple of days. Very confused as to all the 55+ Communities in Delaware. My Husband and I have visited Dover and surrounding area last year. Looking to visit Millsboro, Rehoboth, Lewes & Milford this year. How can we weed out the Communities that we are not interested in on line before actually visiting the area? We want a single home. Buying versus renting. Difference between Land Lease or Owning the Land. Want pool, Clubhouse, low HOA, gated or not gated. Is there a grid we can use, so we can weed out what we do not want?

Old 10-13-2014, 03:51 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,116,584 times
This is mls for the area you are looking into now. Use the public website access on the right in the box. SafeMLS® Error

There are many threads that will answer many of your questions but you will need to do some of he leg work by using the search thread and looking at the various responses.

Here are a few things that might be helpful for us to help you. Budget and number of beds and baths. Do you want or not want a 55+ community? Or if undecided what are you on the fence on? Are you looking for opinions on buying vs renting and owning vs leasing? Land lease on the above website is show as GROUND RENT and FEE SIMPLE is ownership. Regarding low HOA what are your expectations for what that fee will cover? What do you consider low? Is proximity to the beach important to you?

CD'er are very helpful but the more info you provide the better for us to help you.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:20 AM

30 posts, read 59,611 times
Thank you nuts2uiam for your quick response. The problem is, we are not sure what we want. We are active in late 50's. Buy or Rent. We can only afford $100,000 to $125,000 to buy; $1,000 t0 $1,200 to rent. Not fond of Pre-Fab Manufactured/Mobile Home houses. We are all over the place. We knew about the HOA's but now are learning about Land Lease/Purchase (ground rent/fee simple). All very scary. What we do want is a 3 bedroom, 2 bath one floor single home with open floor plan & 1 car garage, as well as low HOA fee ($300-$400 for taking care of mowing lawn/shoveling snow). We like the thought of a community center and outside pool but you can only get that with 55+ communities. Half hour from Beach would be good. Are we unrealistic in our search in Delaware?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware