Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2017, 09:10 AM

202 posts, read 128,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Oh my, the dreaded 30's? LOL

What will you do when you're 59 like me? And what do you call the 50's/60's?

I am a firm believer that for me, it's healthier to get my exercise outside in the natural light and fresh air, too. I need sunshine.

This is a real question though, if your metabolism slows as you age and you are currently exercising strenuously in your 20's, 30's or 40's, what do you think you will be able to do 20-30 years later to keep at a healthy weight? Do you believe you will be able to run further or faster? That you will be able to do more reps of heavier weights? That you will be able to eat significantly less than you are now?
Obviously I will have to change my diet and exercise modes as I get older. For now running works fine but I see the day when I will have to join a gym and get more full body workout, and also change my diet. But I intend to be in good fitness my entire life.

Old 05-25-2017, 09:13 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I notice such a difference in my energy level when I am really picky about the carbs and sugar I eat. I basically will eat them if they are tasty, but I gave myself permission to not finish it, if it doesn't live up to expectations.

I.e. if I feel like a croissant I am going to get one from the nice bakery and enjoy it. But no way will I waste my time on a cardboard tasting one from the gas station!

But on the flip side, I need to be extra diligent if I am going to see progress on the scale. I am not a binger. My day to day is pretty good from a healthy eating perspective and has been for a long time. So I have to experiment with different things, like food combinations and the timing of food. Just focusing on veggies, lean proteins and whole grains does nothing!
Food timing is pretty critical to me. I pretty much eat every 2-3 hours on days that I'm working. I don't really fixate on combinations...I pretty much have a protein/carb/veggie at most meals except breakfast and snacks. That's about it. Scale progress happened when I finally got my body to accept that it was going to get less food and I moved more. You'd be amazed at how your body can adapt to less food intake, that is why I think timing of meals are critical. I really cant' stomach lots of fatty things and protein and carbs by themselves do not fill me up, so I have to spread the calories out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
What do you clean eaters eat for breakfast? I need something quick and substantial.

All I can think of are eggs. But what else do you eat?

Also, now that school has started again, I am a full-time employee and a full-time student. Any exercise suggestions for someone who has no time?
I drink my breakfast most of the time in the form of protein shakes, which I purchase from a gym. I actually like shakes/smoothies for breakfast.

For exercise, how much time do you have to give? If you have an hour, that's a good amount of time to do cardio and strength training. I don't really need to work out more than four days per week. when I was younger, I just needed to work out for three days..go figure.

Old 05-25-2017, 09:50 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I find that exercise helps me sleep better, wake up earlier and drink less caffeine. Food intake impacts the energy levels I have during the day. The breakfast impacts if and what I may have for a snack later in the day. Lunch impacts how I feel at the 3pm slump.
Exercise helps me sleep better, wake up later (early wakefulness is one of my problems). I drink coffee only in the early morning and is not a factor for me.

I don't eat lunch which could be a problem. I usually linger in the mornings so long that probably my meal is better called brunch.

Note that half life for caffeine is about 4-8 hours, and morning coffee should be not a factor at midnight. However people differ in their sensitivity to caffeine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
What do you clean eaters eat for breakfast? I need something quick and substantial.
Cereal (wheat, no HFCS), milk, banana. Sometimes break pattern with bacon & egg on bagel—not a recommendation in terms of dietary propriety; an indulgence.

Old 05-25-2017, 01:31 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,278,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Food timing is pretty critical to me. I pretty much eat every 2-3 hours on days that I'm working. I don't really fixate on combinations...I pretty much have a protein/carb/veggie at most meals except breakfast and snacks. That's about it. Scale progress happened when I finally got my body to accept that it was going to get less food and I moved more. You'd be amazed at how your body can adapt to less food intake, that is why I think timing of meals are critical. I really cant' stomach lots of fatty things and protein and carbs by themselves do not fill me up, so I have to spread the calories out.

I drink my breakfast most of the time in the form of protein shakes, which I purchase from a gym. I actually like shakes/smoothies for breakfast.

For exercise, how much time do you have to give? If you have an hour, that's a good amount of time to do cardio and strength training. I don't really need to work out more than four days per week. when I was younger, I just needed to work out for three days..go figure.

Many times, the choice is between working out, studying/assignments, or sleep. That's the issue.

Old 05-25-2017, 04:04 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Exercise helps me sleep better, wake up later (early wakefulness is one of my problems). I drink coffee only in the early morning and is not a factor for me.
I generally drink 1 caffeinated beverage a day. On really sleepy days, I might add a second at around 130p. That happens maybe monthly. But when I am in a low caffeine period, I only drink any caffeine 3-4 times a week. And my daily cup is tea not coffee on many of those days.

Old 05-25-2017, 04:15 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,278,103 times
Quote:

Cereal (wheat, no HFCS), milk, banana
. Sometimes break pattern with bacon & egg on bagel—not a recommendation in terms of dietary propriety; an indulgence.
Does this fill you up? I need some sort of protein (hence the eggs) to fill me up. Then, I eat a large lunch. On school nights, I leave work at 430 and do not return home until 930pm. I am starving by the time I get home, which is why I need a large breakfast and lunch.

I am worried that if I exercise I will get hungrier and will make my eating schedule worse (that may sound silly but..).

Old 05-25-2017, 06:48 PM

Cereal (wheat, no HFCS), milk, 1 banana does fill me up. Note this appears to me to be carbohydrates, not a lot of protein. I weighted 3 bananas, divided by 3, estimated pulp vs. total weight. My analysis did not take into account things such as indigestible fiber or other important dietary considerations such as types of fats (trans, saturated, unsaturated, etc.). Note also I'll admit I've adjusted my cereal serving size to add 10% to the package recommendation. Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies!

cereal 2.1 oz. (1.1 servings) = 198 cal, 1.1 g fat, 47 g carb, 7 g protein.
milk 8 oz. (1 serving 2% fat) = 130 cal, 5 g fat, 13 g carb, 10 g protein.
banana (1 each, 6.5 oz. perhaps 150 g edible) = 133 cal, 0 g fat, 34 g carb, 2 g protein.

total: 463 cal, 6.6 g fat, 94 g carb, 19 g protein,
120 g total, 6% fat, 78% carb, 16% protein.

I enjoyed this as an exercise and now I know more about my usual breakfast. Noting that all you need to fill yourself up is a sufficient volume of food. The real problem is what you need to keep your body going until the next meal. The currency of your body's energy system is carbohydrates. Although I didn't break it down most of my breakfast is complex carbohydrates and that seems to get me through my late breakfast until I begin snacking before dinner. I wasn't hungry until I got home, and spent a healthy 45-50 minutes of maximum exercise at the gym. (75% of my usual session)

I've just noticed I've had a dinner malfunction (forgot to set the cooking temp on my Sous Vide) but plan to eat in about an hour: 9 ounce filet mignon (protein to repair my muscles), 1 small (4-6 oz?) serving of mashed potatoes (home made, + cheese + cream) and a large serving of "aspagrass." -- This is just a day in the life of Lovehound, "The Dog of Love!"

Note that I highly recommend you do not try my bacon & egg on bagel indulgence breakfast, but I believe that following only a recommended diet is more likely to put you off of recommended diets than help you if you take occasional dietary vacations, and my very worst breakfast is an "everything" bagel with cream cheese, lox and onion. I treasure my Jewish friends who introduced me to this dietary sin!

I have another boredom breaker: a stack of pancakes, fried egg and bacon on top, 100% maple syrup, salt the egg, and don't get near my knife or teeth!

I do the milk, cereal and banana thing 3/4 the time. The carbs seem to get me through the day from my late breakfast to my early dinner.

————o————o————o————o————o————

Seriously most dieticians recommend 4-5 meals each day with nutrients equally divided. I don't like that. My late breakfast and early dinner works well enough for me, and I can defer dinner when socialization requires it.

I enjoyed breaking down my typical breakfast and hope it can serve for at least one model as a healthy breakfast.

Old 05-31-2017, 10:01 PM

19,025 posts, read 14,205,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Laziness and stupidity is what drives obesity in this country.
I disagree. . . not to the laziness nor stupidity, but the assumption that it is the fault of the obese for failing to eat "fresh fruits and vegetables."
Prior to the "OFFICIAL" imposed dietary change that effectively deleted fat from the American diet, obesity was not epidemic.
I submit that it was the deliberate (and stupid) meddling in the American diet that has resulted in this mess.

If you're interested, do a search on ketogenic diet, and the many before / after photos of folks who shed weight by eating 75% - 80% fat diets. (I've lost 72 lbs in 30 weeks, myself, with ZERO hunger pangs.)

For those who are unsuited to the high carb lifestyle, as imposed by our benevolent masters, there is hope with the ketogenic diet (high fat - moderate protein - low / no carbohydrates).

Ironically, high fat foods are cheaper than low fat, sugar infused versions.

FWIW - the high fat diet has long history of sustaining humans - like pemmican (80% fat).

38 Days Of Pemmican – Ketosis In The Winter Bush

Old 06-01-2017, 08:33 PM

In the beginning, prehistoric humans found the only diet that sustained their lives was the "high fat" diet. Through perhaps 100s of thousands of years humans who ate as much fat as they could lived; the rest died. Note "Darwinian evolution." Those who didn't get fat during the summer starved in the winter when no food was available. This happened for thousands of generations. We are programmed to crave fat.

In my opinion, eating fat doesn't make you fat. Eating starches makes you fat. Sugar and HFCS are among the most easiest digested, go right into your blood stream, get stored as adipose fat. In evolutionary terms both sugar and HFCS are too recent to have any effect on human evolution.

I'm not willing to blame anybody for being fat. I see them as victims of poor education and poor examples, often their parents.

If you are poorly educated you can learn. If you have bad habits you can change them.

The only thing I can add is that you cannot achieve good physical fitness without physical exercise. Sit on a couch all day (or in an office chair) and you will be a couch potato. If you don't want this you will have to exert yourself.

Old 06-02-2017, 06:27 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,510,660 times
Quote:
In the beginning, prehistoric humans found the only diet that sustained their lives was the "high fat" diet. Through perhaps 100s of thousands of years humans who ate as much fat as they could lived; the rest died. Note "Darwinian evolution." Those who didn't get fat during the summer starved in the winter when no food was available. This happened for thousands of generations. We are programmed to crave fat.

In my opinion, eating fat doesn't make you fat. Eating starches makes you fat. Sugar and HFCS are among the most easiest digested, go right into your blood stream, get stored as adipose fat. In evolutionary terms both sugar and HFCS are too recent to have any effect on human evolution.

I'm not willing to blame anybody for being fat. I see them as victims of poor education and poor examples, often their parents.

If you are poorly educated you can learn. If you have bad habits you can change them.

The only thing I can add is that you cannot achieve good physical fitness without physical exercise. Sit on a couch all day (or in an office chair) and you will be a couch potato. If you don't want this you will have to exert yourself.
The only thing I would say about that is I see plenty of educated people in highly-paid jobs who are obese although in the main I agree with you.
It begins at home eating the right food cooked properly by your parents and continues at school where basic life skills such as knowing about food,what's in it and how to cook it should be taught along with Maths and English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss