Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2009, 04:38 PM

137 posts, read 412,631 times

Advertisements

I am so very sorry to hear about Clancey, now at peace and pain free. it is so hard to say goodbye to our special friends, and this is such a tough disease to go thru. On April 2, it will be 2 years without my Oscar and I still miss my pal so much. he too was ready to go tho, I saw it in his eyes.

Clancey was so lucky to have you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 07:24 PM

22 posts, read 95,039 times
Carol, you and your husband are in my thoughts and prayers.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:35 PM

31 posts, read 168,406 times
Carol - My heartfelt sympathy goes out to you and your husband. So sorry to hear about your loss.

Old 03-21-2009, 06:25 AM

129 posts, read 491,407 times
I just returned from vacation and am so sorry to hear about Clancey.

Erica

Old 03-21-2009, 10:04 PM

104 posts, read 471,173 times
Default new odd behavior

hi all. i have noticed the following in tillie this week: she seems to want to keep her head up all the time. i can see her struggling to keep her head up when she so desperately wants to sleep. anyone else see this? my guess is that her nose/sinuses/etc is/are so stuffed up that it is not so comfortable to put her head down. her nightime bed has raised edges, like a sofa, but even then she doesn't always use the raised parts. anyone seen anything like this?
thanks.
arlene.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:49 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,588,711 times
Arlene,

While I do see Dash with a toy that he is using as a pillow more then he ever did before. I have not noticed him trying to keep his head up .He still sleeps with legs stretched out in front and back and his head between his paws on the ground or on laying on his side more often then not.

Tillies head up thing could very much be about her breathing as people with difficulty breathing assume what we call a tripod position as it helps open up their lungs so they do breath better. It is not something they learn but is just and instinct type response. So maybe with a dog with a stuffy nose head up position helps them breath better.

When she does go to sleep is it only for very short periods as she has to wake up to pant? Back when Dash was like that my vet gave me a tranquilizer and I gave him 1/4 of it at night to take the edge off so he could sleep and not wake up every 3 minutes in that panting panic. After a couple nights where he actually got sleep he no longer needed the pill and has not had that problem since. He had just gotten so exhausted at one point and that was not good.

Give Tillie a big hug and as always I am sending poitive thoughts and prayers her way. Jan

Old 03-22-2009, 11:18 AM

338 posts, read 1,624,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancydog View Post
After a really bad weekend, Gary and I made the decision yesterday to put an end to Clancey's pain. He was losing weight rapidly, was dehydrated and having problems getting around. Sunday night, he would not lay down but kept standing and falling over, standing and falling over all night long. There was no food that interested him any longer and I had no way to give him antibiotics or pain meds without shoving them down his throat. Yesterday morning, he looked at me and I could tell he was ready to move on. He went very peacefully, did not even move when they put the IV in his leg. He was laying in my lap the entire time and Gary was petting him. Clancey will always live on in our hearts.

Carol and Angel Clancey
I am sorry to hear that Clancey lost his battle. I believe you did the right thing because Clancey was letting you know that it was time.

This thread particularly touched my heart. I had a chi mix named Jake who had nasal cancer. We had to put him down in June 2005 because the difficult time he had breathing and the seizures were seriously affecting his quality of life. We took him off the prednisone and tried for several months to treat him naturally and homeopathically and it helped for a little while. It seemed like we had our old Jake back but the tumor finally got too big and was pushing against his eye and part of his brain which brought on the seizures. Jake was 11 years old and I had him since he was 5 months old. I loved that little guy so much and will always miss him.

My heart goes out to anyone who is going through cancer with a beloved pet.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:22 PM

last night tillie slept very well but that may be because she played and swam all day and had very little rest! we've been thinking about using nighttime benadryl to help her out and act as a tranquilizer next time she has trouble sleeping. she has not been roaming around and panting at night lately although she has done that in the past . her quality of life still high.

it was sad to hear about jake, above, but we are all aware of the possibility of seizures for our dogs with this disease.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:13 PM

25 posts, read 169,996 times
I just wanted to say that I was very sorry to learn that Clancey had passed. He sounded like a very special dog. We still miss Nickleby terribly. I have few regrets about the treatment I pursued for him, but I still am so sad that he suffered at all from this horrible disease, and that he passed away so young. I've lost many pets over the years and his death was the hardest for me to deal with. It just seems like such a waste to lose a dog at 4 years old.

Life does go on, however, and we have welcomed another puppy into our home. Her name is Eleanor (we call her Elly), and she is an Engilsh Bulldog, Pug, Beagle mix. She's a sweetheart, and we're thrilled to have her. I'll post a picture of her below.

All the dogs and owners here are still in my prayers. Keep fighting!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/17221483@N04/3388575383/ (broken link)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/17221483@N04/3388575383/ (broken link)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/17221483@N04/3388575383/tp:// (broken link)

http://http://twitpic.com/2hkzx (broken link)

Last edited by arw1970; 03-26-2009 at 11:26 PM..

Old 03-27-2009, 10:17 AM

Default about Elly

omigod, she is ridiculously adorable! good luck with her!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs