Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2016, 05:41 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,951,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Sounds like your school was the opposite of mine.
They used some common sense, which it seems your school did not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2016, 07:15 PM

Quote:
You are absolutely right! One of my pet peeves is how our society accepts double standards when they favor females, but reject them when they favor males. It's especially frustrating how most men seem to support that practice. I am glad that you agree with me!

Yes, all of them were with boys. In my day, girls didn't really bully boys. That seems to be more recent thing, since the girls realize that they can get away with it and there is absolutely nothing that the boys can do.

I do wonder what I would have done if I had been bullied by a girl. Remember, my parents told me not to hit a girl not even in a life and death situation. Personally, I think life and death situations are or at least should be an exception to any rule.
Did you see girls bully each other when you were in school? How did the school treat those cases?

Old 09-24-2016, 12:20 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,931,790 times
Some could be called a Bully depending on they use their body be it verbal, pushing, taunting.(you get the picture).

In my high school there were a few blacks that would push themselves in a way to make everyone get out of their way when walking down the hall etc.

There was three that would intentionally hit your shoulder hard with their shoulder making a person spin around.

I saw them do it to many and just laugh afterwards.

One day as they came towards me I knew what was coming so I hit this one guys shoulder real hard with mine that spun him around.

He was surprised and came to me face to face looking for a fight. I looked into his eye and said "what are you going to do about it?"He smiled and laughed a little and just walked away with his friends. (That was vaguely what I remembered since it was a long time ago)

Do recall that when ever we passed in the halls he always had a smile and would say "hows it going Steve?"

We were friends from then on in school....no more hitting me in the shoulder as I stood up to him.

Old 09-24-2016, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Some could be called a Bully depending on they use their body be it verbal, pushing, taunting.(you get the picture).

In my high school there were a few blacks that would push themselves in a way to make everyone get out of their way when walking down the hall etc.

There was three that would intentionally hit your shoulder hard with their shoulder making a person spin around.

I saw them do it to many and just laugh afterwards.

One day as they came towards me I knew what was coming so I hit this one guys shoulder real hard with mine that spun him around.

He was surprised and came to me face to face looking for a fight. I looked into his eye and said "what are you going to do about it?"He smiled and laughed a little and just walked away with his friends. (That was vaguely what I remembered since it was a long time ago)

Do recall that when ever we passed in the halls he always had a smile and would say "hows it going Steve?"

We were friends from then on in school....no more hitting me in the shoulder as I stood up to him.
Sometimes friendships between guys start with some type of altercation, usually relatively minor. I have seen that happen a number of times.

Getting into trouble together can also initiate a friendship between guys. That happened to me with some of my friends at school -- we got into trouble for something, served detention together, hung out afterward and then got to closer friends. Without getting into trouble together, the friendship might have remained more limited.

Last edited by dazzleman; 09-24-2016 at 04:02 AM..

Old 09-24-2016, 05:24 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,050,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Did you see girls bully each other when you were in school? How did the school treat those cases?
I didn't witness it much, so I don't really have an answer.

But I can post about one interesting situation that I remember. I remember on the bus one day, one of the school's most notorious male bullies but gum in the hair of one of my female friends. And I remember another girl started laughing at her. And I remember the girl who laughed at her got detention, but the guy who put the gum in her hair did not get any punishment at all. Even though my school normally heavily favored girls, this was an exception: I guess their hierarchy was bullies first, girls second, guys last.

Old 09-25-2016, 05:30 AM

Quote:
I didn't witness it much, so I don't really have an answer.

But I can post about one interesting situation that I remember. I remember on the bus one day, one of the school's most notorious male bullies but gum in the hair of one of my female friends. And I remember another girl started laughing at her. And I remember the girl who laughed at her got detention, but the guy who put the gum in her hair did not get any punishment at all. Even though my school normally heavily favored girls, this was an exception: I guess their hierarchy was bullies first, girls second, guys last.
When you were in detention, were the vast majority of the kids there boys, or was it a mix of boys and girls?

Old 09-25-2016, 11:48 AM

35,073 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
A few times in 7th and 8th grades a fews other boys put gum in my hair. When I turned around to see what was happening I didn't get detention but I was sent to the principal's office. Nothing happened to the perpetrator. I guess since one of their parents was going through a divorce I had to be "understanding."

Old 09-25-2016, 12:34 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,050,447 times
Quote:
When you were in detention, were the vast majority of the kids there boys, or was it a mix of boys and girls?
Detention was almost all boys. The situation I mentioned above was one of the very few scenarios where a girl was given detention. Ironically, it was a case where she didn't really deserve the detention, or, at the very least, a boy deserved it more than she did.

Old 09-25-2016, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Detention was almost all boys. The situation I mentioned above was one of the very few scenarios where a girl was given detention. Ironically, it was a case where she didn't really deserve the detention, or, at the very least, a boy deserved it more than she did.
That school was pretty hapless in administering discipline.

Old 09-25-2016, 09:34 PM

35,073 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
That school was pretty hapless in administering discipline.
To paraphrase what we say on Passover (Pesach), wherefore is this school different from (almost) any other school?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education