Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2011, 02:46 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
A high school diploma does not mean what it meant 50 years ago. Not even close. Today's high school diploma is closer to the 8th grade education my dad had. We've dummied down high school to the point the diploma has little meaning and we're arguing that we should let some kids do even less????
Now this I disagree with entirely. My grandfather had an 8th grade education. He was a farmer, so it probably didn't matter a lot, especially since he had as much education as most of the other farmers these days. However, he never took a course in calculus, or even pre-calculus, as my kids did even 10 years ago in HS. He never took any of the sciences, let alone anything AP. He did speak German, so I guess he didn't need to take a "world language". He could read, write and do very basic math. Period.

My mom grew up in the same place in Wisconsin as my gf did; she was the first girl in her HS to take physics. She graduated in 1938. Education has come a long way since then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 03:34 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Now this I disagree with entirely. My grandfather had an 8th grade education. He was a farmer, so it probably didn't matter a lot, especially since he had as much education as most of the other farmers these days. However, he never took a course in calculus, or even pre-calculus, as my kids did even 10 years ago in HS. He never took any of the sciences, let alone anything AP. He did speak German, so I guess he didn't need to take a "world language". He could read, write and do very basic math. Period.

My mom grew up in the same place in Wisconsin as my gf did; she was the first girl in her HS to take physics. She graduated in 1938. Education has come a long way since then.
BUT the average graduate doesn't take calculus!!!! I'm talking about the minimum it takes to get a diploma not the maximum you can take. People here are talking like there's only one track to a diploma and that's college prep. That's not true. While you can take classes like AP, most don't and you can also stop at algebra taught as a three year course to get kids through it. Basic algebra skills come in handy even for farmers and I'll bet your grandfather had them.

Seriously, it takes very little to graduate these days. Fortunately, most students take more than the minimum but, IMO, the minimum is the least we should demand of all of our kids. I just can't see excusing them from what passes for a minimal high school diploma these days. We're really not asking that much of them. Now, I think it's nice to offer voc-ed on top of the basics. However, finances being what they are, many schools can't. Now, if you want to make a high school diploma more rigorous and split off in high school (so long as the voc-ed school fills in the basics), I'm right there.

Don't mistake schools offering higher level classes for that being the norm. It's not. Our school has multiple teachers teaching algebra I but only needs one teaching calculus and he only teaches one or two sections. We are an affluent district and we only have three sections of pre calc. Most kids aren't taking those higher classes.

Old 09-11-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
BUT the average graduate doesn't take calculus!!!! I'm talking about the minimum it takes to get a diploma not the maximum you can take. People here are talking like there's only one track to a diploma and that's college prep. That's not true. While you can take classes like AP, most don't and you can also stop at algebra taught as a three year course to get kids through it. Basic algebra skills come in handy even for farmers and I'll bet your grandfather had them.

Seriously, it takes very little to graduate these days. Fortunately, most students take more than the minimum but, IMO, the minimum is the least we should demand of all of our kids. I just can't see excusing them from what passes for a minimal high school diploma these days. We're really not asking that much of them. Now, I think it's nice to offer voc-ed on top of the basics. However, finances being what they are, many schools can't. Now, if you want to make a high school diploma more rigorous and split off in high school (so long as the voc-ed school fills in the basics), I'm right there.

Don't mistake schools offering higher level classes for that being the norm. It's not. Our school has multiple teachers teaching algebra I but only needs one teaching calculus and he only teaches one or two sections. We are an affluent district and we only have three sections of pre calc. Most kids aren't taking those higher classes.

Minimum requirements in my district:

http://www.bvsd.org/graduation/requi...uirements.aspx

(10 credits = 1 year or 2 semesters)

A student must successfully complete a minimum of 220 credits in grades 9-12 to graduate from the Boulder Valley School District. 100 of these credits must be earned in grades 11-12. Ten credits are equivalent to one full year of study in a specific subject.

Language Arts: 40 credits in grades 9-12
10 in Language Arts 9
10 in World Literature & Composition, grade 10
10 in American Literature & Composition, grade 11
5 in language arts elective courses, 9-12
5 in communication courses, grades 9-12

Social Studies: 30 credits in grades 9-12
5 in US Government in grade 9
5 in World Geography in grades 9-10
10 in World History in grade 10
10 in US History in grade 11

Math: 20 credits in grades 9-12
10 credits of which must include Algebra I or higher level mathematics

Science: 20 credits in grades 9-12
10 credits in courses designated as Life Sciences
10 credits in courses designated as Physical Sciences

Physical Education: 15 credits in grades 9-12
5 in Comprehensive P.E., grade 9
10 in elective P.E. courses, grades 9-12, balanced between individual fitness and team sports

Health: 5 credits in grades 9-10

Fine Arts: 5 credits in grades 9-12 (includes music or art)

Second Language Acquisition: 10 credits in World Language, Level 2 or higher; or, for ELL students, ESL Level 2 or higher

Practical Experiences: 5 credits in grades 9-12
The Computer Science/Applied Technology requirement may be fulfilled at the middle level by successfully completing an approved class. Class offerings vary by middle school. Check with your middle school office for classes that meet this requirement. If this requirement was fulfilled in grades 6-8, 5 credits in Business, Consumer and Family Studies, Computer Science, Applied Technology, or Technical Education are still needed to meet this graduation requirement.

Money Management & Personal Finance
Students graduating in 2010 and beyond meet this requirement in two ways:

Evidence of successful completion of one of the following courses:
B09 DOLLARS AND SENSE
B31 PRINCIPLES OF MARKETING/BUSINESS ECONOMICS (MONARCH HS ONLY)
B32 WEALTH MANAGEMENT
B33 PRINCIPLES OF BUSINESS AND ECONOMICS (MHS ONLY)
B34 BUSINESS ECONOMICS (MHS ONLY)
B36 COLLEGE ACCOUNTING
B37 PRINCIPLES OF FINANCE
B42 FINANCE
B47 MATHEMATICAL BUSINESS APPLICATIONS
B51 FINANCIAL RECORDS
B52 ACCOUNTING 1
B53 ACCOUNTING 2
B54 ACCOUNTING 3
B60 BUSINESS MANAGEMENT
B68 ENTREPRENEURSHIP
B81 MARKETING 1
H50 LIVING ON YOUR OWN YEAR
H51 LIVING ON YOUR OWN SEM
H54 LIVING ON YOUR OWN SEM. 2
H81 WAGE EARNING
I105 IB ECONOMICS SL
I27 IB BUSINESS & MANAGEMENT SL
OB42 FINANCE
OB52 ACCOUNTING 1
OB53 ACCOUNTING 2
OH51 LIVING ON YOUR OWN SEM
OT74 ECONOMICS
OT75 AP MACROECONOMICS
OT77 AP MICROECONOMICS
T74 ECONOMICS
T75 AP MACROECONOMICS
T77 AP MICROECONOMICS

OR

2. Completion of the online course. See your school counselor for more information.

Additional Electives: 75 credits in grades 9-12

Community Service: A maximum of 5 credits of community service may be earned as an elective. Recommended: 75 or more hours of volunteer work equals 5 credits.

Independent Study: Independent study contracts, not to exceed a total of 30 units of credit, will be allowed for graduation credit. All contracts must be submitted in writing with prior approval by the teacher(s) and building administrator. The sponsoring teacher will monitor the project and determine grade and credit upon comnpletion of work.

(Mod note: School [govt] website)

Old 09-11-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Minimum requirements in my district:

http://www.bvsd.org/graduation/requi...uirements.aspx

(10 credits = 1 year or 2 semesters)

A student must successfully complete a minimum of 220 credits in grades 9-12 to graduate from the Boulder Valley School District. 100 of these credits must be earned in grades 11-12. Ten credits are equivalent to one full year of study in a specific subject.

Language Arts: 40 credits in grades 9-12
10 in Language Arts 9
10 in World Literature & Composition, grade 10
10 in American Literature & Composition, grade 11
5 in language arts elective courses, 9-12
5 in communication courses, grades 9-12

Social Studies: 30 credits in grades 9-12
5 in US Government in grade 9
5 in World Geography in grades 9-10
10 in World History in grade 10
10 in US History in grade 11

Math: 20 credits in grades 9-12
10 credits of which must include Algebra I or higher level mathematics

Science: 20 credits in grades 9-12
10 credits in courses designated as Life Sciences
10 credits in courses designated as Physical Sciences

Physical Education: 15 credits in grades 9-12
5 in Comprehensive P.E., grade 9
10 in elective P.E. courses, grades 9-12, balanced between individual fitness and team sports

Health: 5 credits in grades 9-10

Fine Arts: 5 credits in grades 9-12 (includes music or art)

Second Language Acquisition: 10 credits in World Language, Level 2 or higher; or, for ELL students, ESL Level 2 or higher

Practical Experiences: 5 credits in grades 9-12
The Computer Science/Applied Technology requirement may be fulfilled at the middle level by successfully completing an approved class. Class offerings vary by middle school. Check with your middle school office for classes that meet this requirement. If this requirement was fulfilled in grades 6-8, 5 credits in Business, Consumer and Family Studies, Computer Science, Applied Technology, or Technical Education are still needed to meet this graduation requirement.

Money Management & Personal Finance
Students graduating in 2010 and beyond meet this requirement in two ways:

Evidence of successful completion of one of the following courses:
B09 DOLLARS AND SENSE
B31 PRINCIPLES OF MARKETING/BUSINESS ECONOMICS (MONARCH HS ONLY)
B32 WEALTH MANAGEMENT
B33 PRINCIPLES OF BUSINESS AND ECONOMICS (MHS ONLY)
B34 BUSINESS ECONOMICS (MHS ONLY)
B36 COLLEGE ACCOUNTING
B37 PRINCIPLES OF FINANCE
B42 FINANCE
B47 MATHEMATICAL BUSINESS APPLICATIONS
B51 FINANCIAL RECORDS
B52 ACCOUNTING 1
B53 ACCOUNTING 2
B54 ACCOUNTING 3
B60 BUSINESS MANAGEMENT
B68 ENTREPRENEURSHIP
B81 MARKETING 1
H50 LIVING ON YOUR OWN YEAR
H51 LIVING ON YOUR OWN SEM
H54 LIVING ON YOUR OWN SEM. 2
H81 WAGE EARNING
I105 IB ECONOMICS SL
I27 IB BUSINESS & MANAGEMENT SL
OB42 FINANCE
OB52 ACCOUNTING 1
OB53 ACCOUNTING 2
OH51 LIVING ON YOUR OWN SEM
OT74 ECONOMICS
OT75 AP MACROECONOMICS
OT77 AP MICROECONOMICS
T74 ECONOMICS
T75 AP MACROECONOMICS
T77 AP MICROECONOMICS

OR

2. Completion of the online course. See your school counselor for more information.

Additional Electives: 75 credits in grades 9-12

Community Service: A maximum of 5 credits of community service may be earned as an elective. Recommended: 75 or more hours of volunteer work equals 5 credits.

Independent Study: Independent study contracts, not to exceed a total of 30 units of credit, will be allowed for graduation credit. All contracts must be submitted in writing with prior approval by the teacher(s) and building administrator. The sponsoring teacher will monitor the project and determine grade and credit upon comnpletion of work.

(Mod note: School [govt] website)
I see no requirement for calculus or even pre calc. No requirement for college prep classes. Remember we're only asking that students do the minimum to pass to get a diploma. No one is asking them to get all A's. You can graduate with C-'s. There is a huge difference in an A in literature and a C.

Our kids get 1 credit for each year of a subject completed. They are required to take three science classes (one must be chemistry or physics - something I don't agree with. I'm ok with three years of science, I just think they should get to choose which three.), math is required through algebra II but there are slower paced classes for kids who struggle in math. No math is required beyond algebra II. English and some social studies class is required each year. Except for gym, the rest is electives.

So, you can get a diploma having completed the science series through the lower level chemistry course, the math series through the slower paced algebra course, english through english 12, social studees through government, and gym....OR, you can continue to take science classes through AP physics (including AP bio), math courses through AP calculus, english courses through AP literature, social studies courses through AP history, and then there's AP stats as well. Depending on the courses you choose, a high school diploma can have quite different meanings. BECAUSE students choose their own courses beyond the basic ones, I think we're already offering differentiation to the lower performing kids. We're just asking them to meet the minimum.

Old 09-11-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
I see no requirement for calculus or even pre calc. No requirement for college prep classes. Remember we're only asking that students do the minimum to pass to get a diploma. No one is asking them to get all A's. You can graduate with C-'s. There is a huge difference in an A in literature and a C.

Our kids get 1 credit for each year of a subject completed. They are required to take three science classes (one must be chemistry or physics - something I don't agree with. I'm ok with three years of science, I just think they should get to choose which three.), math is required through algebra II but there are slower paced classes for kids who struggle in math. No math is required beyond algebra II. English and some social studies class is required each year. Except for gym, the rest is electives.

So, you can get a diploma having completed the science series through the lower level chemistry course, the math series through the slower paced algebra course, english through english 12, social studees through government, and gym....OR, you can continue to take science classes through AP physics (including AP bio), math courses through AP calculus, english courses through AP literature, social studies courses through AP history, and then there's AP stats as well. Depending on the courses you choose, a high school diploma can have quite different meanings. BECAUSE students choose their own courses beyond the basic ones, I think we're already offering differentiation to the lower performing kids. We're just asking them to meet the minimum.
I never said calc or pre-calc was required, just that my kids took it. Calc. was offered for the first time at my HS the year I was a senior (1966-67). Everyone taking algebra is something that was not required at my high school in the 60s. I doubt anyone took it by 8th grade "back in the day". Nor were they taking college prep classes in 8th grade.

Old 09-11-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
I never said calc or pre-calc was required, just that my kids took it. Calc. was offered for the first time at my HS the year I was a senior (1966-67). Everyone taking algebra is something that was not required at my high school in the 60s. I doubt anyone took it by 8th grade "back in the day". Nor were they taking college prep classes in 8th grade.
I'm ok with everyone taking geometry and/or algebra I. I don't think algebra II is necessary but they do offer a slower paced class for the students who struggle. I think chemistry for all is a stretch unless you let us teach chemistry in a different way (I love the way chemistry in the community turns chemistry around.). I think we've, finally, gone too far here but, as things were just two years ago, a high school diploma was not a stretch. It's still pretty basic.

Old 09-11-2011, 05:02 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,590,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
If there's a glut of tech/vocational jobs....why do electricians charge $80 an hour, or plumbers?

I had a small beehive removed about 2 weeks. Pretty small, about half the size of a little cantaloupe or melon, about the size of the palm of your hand. The guy charged...$150??? With a two month guarantee. Any kind of extermination or pest control...its going to rack up $$$.

Why are kids getting steered into marginal degrees (with significant debt)...and not being directed into jobs that can charge $50-100 an hour (plumbing, electrician)?

It's a total scam. Kids seems to be steered into the worst degrees, with the lowest payout ratio (i.e. $50,000 degree, but working for $10 an hour at starbucks). Even if some tech job salaries got cut in half....$30-40 an hour is better than many jobs.

There seems to be all these straw man arguements, with little facts in the debate. Even if there is a glut of plumbers or electricians....there's a bigger glut of pyschology or art history degrees. But it seems ok to put them into that glut.

If I got it right you want "better" education and more vacation training so the prices of educated labor would fall to the acceptable levels? That's where education system setting kids up to fail achieving lower wages?

I'm sorry but hourly charges of electricians and the rest of the licensed tradesmen and professionals (including lawyers, doctors, nurses, PE and so on) are high not because of the lack of education and training among youngings but because of the licensing process limiting the supply. For example, Ph.D. supply is not regulated and you can easily find a fresh Ph.D. "willing" to work his way up 24/7 for anywhere from 23k to 40K/year, and many Ph.D. holders will do this low wage temping for many, many years before making it to the trough or being discarded.

Old 09-11-2011, 05:21 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
The issue I see is that a high school diploma is so basic today. We're really not asking kids to be able to do much to get one. IMO, it's the least they should have. I think it's a mistake to replace it with a voc-ed program. In addition to, fine but don't replace it. Kids should know basic math and english and science and history. There's no reason they shouldn't graduate being able to read on a 9th grade level. The kids who are taking college prep courses will, of course, have more.
I think this may again be a state issue.

In my state there are end of course exams in order to get a diploma. In order to get out of high school all kids needed to pass an exam on algebra and geometry, grade 11 reading comprehension and writing as well as passing end of course exams on biology and chemistry. For the majority of students this is fine but there are many students who cannot pass all of these things but can still be successful. I now many kids who were fine except for the math, and really are we saying that if you cannot pass an algebra II exam you are not worthy of a high school diploma?

This is all due to NCLB, but it is absolutely asinine to claim that a child cannot earn a high school diploma without passing end of year exams geared specifically at the college bound. In my state even those with LDs have to pass them. Its crazy.

Old 09-11-2011, 05:23 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:

Yes, this is definitely dependent on location.

Some states not only require passing grades in these courses but passing of state end of year exams in order to get a diploma.

Old 09-11-2011, 05:28 PM

616 posts, read 854,556 times
I believe the system is setting them up to fail and here's why:

My kid got perfect attendance in 1st grade last year but was not recognized for it in the end of the year ceremony, BUT some parents of the kids who were bad in class were told that "it's ok" to have a "day off" if your kid is not up to a long say at school.

WTF??????!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education