Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2012, 09:29 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,293,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
So much for Obamas post debate bounce. Rasmussens tracking which has all post debate days, Romney +1.
national polls don't count, the swing states will determine and Obama is leading in most of them.

in any case I've never cared about polls, except the ones on election day

Old 10-20-2012, 09:35 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,246,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chica_bella813 View Post
I find it interesting that Romney is having a hard time with his people, for instance losing Mass to Obama, and MI (we know why) and CO should be handed over to Romney, but its not. I think that is a telling sign about Romney, that those who know him well are NOT voting for him. If Fla goes to Romney I wouldnt be completely shocked. I was shocked when McCain got Fla last election.

I am voting for Obama, right now I am to the point of saying whoever wins the election doesn't matter anymore, because Jesus will still be sitting on the throne either way
I don't think CO is Romney's people anymore. All the intermountain states and especially AZ, CO, and NV are undergoing huge demographic changes including massive migration from other parts of the US and a surging Latino population. The political philosophy of western Democrats and Republicans is different from eastern ones. Out here, traditionally it has been limited government and live and let live social conservatism - more libertarian in both parties. Outside CO, no state has an evangelical base of significance. Part of CO is southern plains bible belt though and that confounds predictions. Mormons dominate many state offices, but their population share is dwindling.

The other thing that plays big is immigration. While you may think that hard core immigation policies would find favor, that is not always the case. In AZ for example, poll after poll shows that people favor the dream act and path to citizenship. But then SB1070 (which was never as draconian as the press made it out to be) was popular. But, the guy who wrote and got the law passed was recalled and then lost in his bid to get back in politics. It is complicated.

Anyway, CO is purple, not red and could go either way.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:36 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,956,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
national polls don't count, the swing states will determine and Obama is leading in most of them.

Really?

See the big three WI, MI, PA?

RealClearPolitics - 2012 Election Maps - Electoral Map

Those states shouldn't even be in the toss-up category.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:41 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,246,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Really?

See the big three WI, MI, PA?

RealClearPolitics - 2012 Election Maps - Electoral Map

Those states shouldn't even be in the toss-up category.
They're not - they are going to Obama. But why in the world you think that Obama would have double digit leads in this election cycle is beyond me. This is a close election. Obama knew it would be years ago and that is why such a huge effort has gone into the ground game in those states. It is going to pay big dividends over the next few weeks. I certainly would like to have Obama up 10 points in these states, but always expected it to close to 2-4 as we got nearer to election day. No surprises here at all.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:46 AM

14,023 posts, read 15,032,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post

Polls had Coakley up 15 points at this point in 10', not saying there will be a 20 point swing in any state, but polls can change.

Old 10-20-2012, 10:05 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,424,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Polls had Coakley up 15 points at this point in 10', not saying there will be a 20 point swing in any state, but polls can change.
This is an excellent point one thing polls are not good at doing is guessing who will turn up to the polls.

Old 10-20-2012, 10:11 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,837,396 times
Obama leading in Florida now, woot woot

Old 10-20-2012, 10:40 AM

4,684 posts, read 4,574,950 times
And the Battle of the Sums rages, with Obama gaining some ground in VA.

This final stage of the campaign is beginning to remind me of the real battle of the Somme: massive expenditure of ammunition churning the landscape into blood-tinged muck, assault waves launched only to bog down in the wire- and mine-strewn media nomansland, and all for the sake of territorial gains measurable in yards rather than miles.

Old 10-20-2012, 10:52 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,602,495 times
Cool lol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
So much for Obamas post debate bounce. Rasmussens tracking which has all post debate days, Romney +1.
It's well known,

Rasmussen tracking within +3 or +4 to the Republican is a tie.

Old 10-20-2012, 10:54 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,837,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
It's well known,

Rasmussen tracking within +3 or +4 to the Republican is a tie.
3.5 point republican bias according to 538.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections