Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2012, 09:02 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,245,892 times

Advertisements

National Poll(PPP)

Romney 48
Obama 48

Obama, Romney tied heading into debate - Public Policy Polling

Old 10-21-2012, 09:07 PM

14,690 posts, read 14,672,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Yes, I edited/added to my post.

The other thing about Ohio - Ohio has historically been slightly more Republican than the nation as a whole. I think *at the most* Ohio could be D+1 this year (when compared to the nation as a whole), but it will not be D+2 or more. In 2008, it was R+2.9.

Something I should mention is that a lot of the Democratic-leaning pollsters have been polling the swing states more than nationally and a lot of the Republican-leaning pollsters have been polling nationally more than in the swing states.
I've mentioned this before, but the only area in Ohio which is growing with any significance is Columbus and its suburbs, which has become more and more liberal by the year. The blue-collar population continues to decline and move toward the Sunbelt in pursuit of jobs or retirement. Therefore you have the tradionally Democrat-voting Cleveland-Akron-Youngstown belt teaming up with the greater Columbus area to create a permanent Democrat block for every presidential election. Add to that the city limits of Cincinnati, Dayton & Toledo and you have a clear majority of the state's population, which will need to be swayed away from any potential Republican candidate. As it is now, southwest Ohio towns & suburbs, along with the general rural areas, are the only diehard Republican areas left in the state.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:26 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,476,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I've mentioned this before, but the only area in Ohio which is growing with any significance is Columbus and its suburbs, which has become more and more liberal by the year. The blue-collar population continues to decline and move toward the Sunbelt in pursuit of jobs or retirement. Therefore you have the tradionally Democrat-voting Cleveland-Akron-Youngstown belt teaming up with the greater Columbus area to create a permanent Democrat block for every presidential election. Add to that the city limits of Cincinnati, Dayton & Toledo and you have a clear majority of the state's population, which will need to be swayed away from any potential Republican candidate. As it is now, southwest Ohio towns & suburbs, along with the general rural areas, are the only diehard Republican areas left in the state.
Except eastern/Southeastern Ohio is becoming less Democratic. And Cleveland is losing population. Also, more generally, the country (and Ohio) is becoming less unionized and a lot of Democratic voters in Ohio particularly are union members/their spouses and family members.

Here's the thing - this trend you speak of has been going on for longer than four years, right? Well, the state actually trended Republican relative to the nation as a whole between 2004 and 2008. This trend has not been picked up yet in any presidential election and the Republicans certainly did very well in the state in 2010.

I state again - Ohio will not be significantly more Democratic than the nation as a whole when it was slightly more Republican in 2008 and there has been no sign of a trend yet towards the state leaning more Democratic. It will not be R+2.9 again, but it's not going to be the opposite either. The numbers each candidate gets in Ohio will probably be similar to the country as a whole. At most, it might be 1 point more Democratic than the nation. The main reasons Ohio may be slightly more Democratic than it would be otherwise would be the auto bailouts, the anti-union measure in 2011 causing some of the working class voters who might otherwise vote Republican to be skeptical of Republicans, and the state doing better economically than the nation as a whole. There is one huge reason that Ohio might be slightly more Republican than it would be otherwise, though, and that is the coal issue.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:35 PM

Speaking of Ohio...here is a new Ohio poll....

Voters in Ohio Evenly Divided Between Obama and Romney | Angus Reid Public Opinion

It is an online poll, which I am a bit skeptical of, but they have a very good track record.

Angus Reid Public Opinion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(Yes, Wikipedia is unreliable but there are links to references).

Moreover, they have also released a Michigan poll that has Obama up 9 - quite a bit more than all other recent MI polls that I'm aware of:

Obama Holds Comfortable Lead Over Romney in Michigan | Angus Reid Public Opinion

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 10-21-2012 at 09:44 PM..

Old 10-21-2012, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chica_bella813 View Post
What poll and question is he leading today??
Survey USA released a Florida poll over the past few days that had Obama up 1.

That being said, it DRASTICALLY undersampled whites and oversampled minority voters:

No Reason to Blog SurveyUSA Poll of Florida Showing Obama Up +1 « Battleground Watch

Romney is ahead in every other recent FL poll on RCP, including a PPP poll (Democratic pollster) released today:

RealClearPolitics - Election 2012 - Florida: Romney vs. Obama

Old 10-21-2012, 09:45 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,773,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Survey USA released a Florida poll over the past few days that had Obama up 1.

That being said, it DRASTICALLY undersampled whites and oversampled minority voters:

No Reason to Blog SurveyUSA Poll of Florida Showing Obama Up +1 « Battleground Watch

Romney is ahead in every other recent FL poll on RCP, including a PPP poll (Democratic pollster) released today:

RealClearPolitics - Election 2012 - Florida: Romney vs. Obama

I don't like to count chickens, but I'll wager Obama carries OHIO and Romney carries FLORIDA. You can find individual polls that suggest otherwise, but I think they are just edges of the frequency distribution. The means are more meaningful.

Of course, more surpises may well await us in the coming weeks.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:04 PM

89,083 posts, read 44,906,239 times

Old 10-21-2012, 11:08 PM

25,574 posts, read 56,516,335 times
Obama still with a small lead in the current CD poll. Others said CD predicted the result 4 years ago, as well. A weathervane, for now? We shall see:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/elect...tial-poll.html

Interestingly, the third party vote just might serve as comeuppance for Bush in 2000. Oh, the irony, should that happen. The Ron Paul people are really ticked. And the Gary Johnson people are mad about not being included in the debates.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:27 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,148,393 times
Not everybody is stupid enough to believe everything the read, but then again, some people are...

Old 10-22-2012, 02:18 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,180,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Obama still with a small lead in the current CD poll. Others said CD predicted the result 4 years ago, as well. A weathervane, for now? We shall see:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/elect...tial-poll.html

Interestingly, the third party vote just might serve as comeuppance for Bush in 2000. Oh, the irony, should that happen. The Ron Paul people are really ticked. And the Gary Johnson people are mad about not being included in the debates.

I wouldn't put much faith in the city data poll. City Data is very lopsided in who posts here, favoring liberals. I would say that it being this close bides very well for Romney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections