Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2012, 10:43 AM

32,114 posts, read 34,747,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Just pointing out how much of a dead heat OH is. It's by no means leaning or solid anyone at this point.
That's simply ridiculous. Virginia is a dead heat. Colorado is a dead heat. Ohio is strongly leaning Obama as 538, RCP, TPM and Huff Post all indicate. You can argue with the statistical model used by one of those sources, but to say that all four are wrong is beyond delusional. When campaigns spend millions of dollars on polling, a difference of 2 points reflected across multiple polls in a swing state is a very, very big deal.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:45 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,468,585 times
No one says Ohio is "solid Obama." No one. Some say it is "leaning Obama," but no one says it is "solid Obama."

Anyway...here are some new national polls:

I'm not sure if anyone posted the Politico/GWU/Battleground poll earlier, but here it is. Romney up 2, Obama was up 1 in the poll they released last week.

Battleground Tracking Poll: Mitt Romney takes lead - POLITICO.com Print View

Also, a new Monmouth/Survey USA/Braun poll has come out... Romney up 3. He was up just 1 in their last poll which was done a few days after the first debate.

http://www.monmouth.edu/assets/0/84/...33705b8ae7.pdf

If Romney is really up 2-3 nationally, he is not down in Ohio. Ohio has historically leaned more Republican than the nation and in 2008, it was 3 points more Republican. As I mentioned earlier, because of several factors, I do think OH could be about one point more Democratic than the nation this year, but it will not be 2-3 points more Democratic. Remember CBS/NYT/Quinnipiac and NBC/WSJ/Marist - the two most pro-Obama pollsters - are not doing national polls so there is no way to compare apples and apples between state and national polls.

Speaking of Ohio specifically - here is a new Ohio poll...Romney up 1.

It was done for a Republican group (and may be a Republican pollster - I am not sure), but this pollster had Obama up 7 in Ohio before the first debate.

http://www.letfreedomringusa.com/dow...9%20-%20OH.pdf

Old 10-22-2012, 10:49 AM

Here are a few Rasmussen polls. I know I will get laughed at from the left for posting them, but you post NBC/WSJ/Marist, CBS/NYT/Quinnipiac, and PPP. (Remember that your beloved Nate Silver said earlier this year that PPP was quite a bit more biased than Rasmussen.) Also, you should be able to compare Rasmussen polls to previous Rasmussen polls.

Romney up 4 in Colorado. Obama was up 1 in the last Rasmussen CO poll.

Election 2012: Colorado President - Rasmussen Reports™

Tie in Iowa. Obama was up 2 in the last Rasmussen IA poll. Also remember that even PPP had Romney up 1 in IA in a poll they released last Friday.

Election 2012: Iowa President - Rasmussen Reports™

Old 10-22-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
If Romney is really up 2-3 nationally, he is not down in Ohio. Ohio has historically leaned more Republican than the nation and in 2008, it was 3 points more Republican. As I mentioned earlier, because of several factors, I do think OH could be about one point more Democratic than the nation this year, but it will not be 2-3 points more Democratic. Remember CBS/NYT/Quinnipiac and NBC/WSJ/Marist - the two most pro-Obama pollsters - are not doing national polls so there is no way to compare apples and apples between state and national polls.
You're very good at selective reading.

National Poll Avg:

FiveThirtyEight - +0.8 Obama
RCP - +0.2 Obama
Huff Post - +0.2 Romney
TPM - +0.8 Romney

How is Romney up 2-3 nationally when at best the four major poll trackers average out to a tie?

Oct. 21: Uncertainty Clouds Polling, but Obama Remains Electoral College Favorite - NYTimes.com

Old 10-22-2012, 10:50 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,959,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
No one says Ohio is "solid Obama." No one. Some say it is "leaning Obama," but no one says it is "solid Obama."

Anyway...here are some new national polls:

I'm not sure if anyone posted the Politico/GWU/Battleground poll earlier, but here it is. Romney up 2, Obama was up 1 in the poll they released last week.

Battleground Tracking Poll: Mitt Romney takes lead - POLITICO.com Print View

Also, a new Monmouth/Survey USA/Braun poll has come out... Romney up 3. He was up just 1 in their last poll which was done a few days after the first debate.

http://www.monmouth.edu/assets/0/84/...33705b8ae7.pdf

Speaking of Ohio specifically - here is a new Ohio poll...Romney up 1.

It was done for a Republican group (and may be a Republican pollster - I am not sure), but this pollster had Obama up 7 in Ohio before the first debate.

http://www.letfreedomringusa.com/dow...9%20-%20OH.pdf
The fact that we are now talking about Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin as opposed to Florida, North Carolina, Missouri and Virginia tells you everything you need to know about where this race is at. It's not in Obama's happy place.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
You're very good at selective reading.

National Poll Avg:

FiveThirtyEight - +0.8 Obama
RCP - +0.2 Obama
Huff Post - +0.2 Romney
TPM - +0.8 Romney

How is Romney up 2-3 nationally when at best the four major poll trackers average out to a tie?

Oct. 21: Uncertainty Clouds Polling, but Obama Remains Electoral College Favorite - NYTimes.com
Not anymore, yankee. Romney is now up 0.7 in RCP. See the new polls that have come out today for the reason why.

Notice I said "*IF* Romney is really up 2-3 nationally", as those polls would suggest. I never said he necessarily is.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
The fact that we are now talking about Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin as opposed to Florida, North Carolina, Missouri and Virginia tells you everything you need to know about where this race is at. It's not in Obama's happy place.
Romney's talking about Ohio because he has few choices left. He's been down in 32 of 37 polls in that state conducted within the last three months and he's been down in 6 of the last 7. It's safe to say that Obama's lead is fairly established there. Right now you guys are simply pinning your hopes to a 70-yard field goal, an onside kick recovery and a Hail Mary with the clock at 0:00 (and a 2-point conversion).

Missouri didn't even go for Obama in 2008.

Romney will likely win Florida and North Carolina. But Obama has a better chance of winning Ohio than Romney has of winning Florida.

Food for thought.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Missouri didn't even go for Obama in 2008.

Romney will likely win Florida and North Carolina. But Obama has a better chance of winning Ohio than Romney has of winning Florida.
According to partisan hack Nate Silver, Obama has a better chance of winning OH than Romney has of winning FL. Romney is ahead in the RCP average in FL by just 0.1% less than Obama is in OH. And undecideds are more likely to vote for challengers than incumbents, which Nate Silver actually admitted though he tried to explain it away. Of course he ignores this in his calculations. And Obama is several points below 50% in OH.

As far as MO, it was the closest state in the country in 2008. It's a very good sign for Romney that it's not even in play this year.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 10-22-2012 at 11:08 AM..

Old 10-22-2012, 10:58 AM

FYI - Gallup will be releasing its latest numbers in 2 minutes. Can Romney maintain his huge lead? I do think Romney is really not up anywhere near as much as Gallup says and his lead will decrease either today or over the next few days just because his huge lead is likely some noise.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:58 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,959,399 times
Obama's chances of winning Ohio have dropped to 55.1% on Intrade, a drop of 8.2%:

Intrade - Democratic nominee to win Ohio

I'd much rather be in Romney's position than Obama's right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections