Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2016, 08:55 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,199,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
And get this. We are healthy. We are one of the people paying into the system but not using it. By the end of the year we will have paid $9,800.00 in premiums Even if we did use it we have a $5000 deductible. So what's the point.

And Democrats call this affordable?
Well them Dems in Congress who are mostly well off probably.

Your 5k deductible "is low" compared to many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 08:58 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,199,724 times
Quote:
What % is the tax or fine you have to pay for 2016? The tax is supposed to increase next year too.
Don't know how accurate this is: ACA Fine & The Flat Rate Fees | Obamacare Fine Calculator

Old 10-25-2016, 09:02 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,583,005 times
Quote:
Our monthly premiums just under $800 a month (2 people). Because it was less expensive to separate our insurance we each have a $5000 deductible. If premiums go up the 22%-$25% then it's almost $1000 a month.

With the high premiums, deductibles, co-pays (basically catastrophic insurance) we'e may be forced to opt out of having insurance FOR THE FIRST TIME IN OUR LIVES..
If that was my math and I was young and relatively healthy, I would opt out and pay the fine - not more than 2 months premium at that rate.

And that folks is why Obamacare is not working - you can't only insure sick people and expect to turn a profit. Most young healthy (near minimum wage) workers do not buy insurance.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:08 AM

32,114 posts, read 34,747,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
Obamacare premiums to soar 22% on average - Oct. 24, 2016

Just saw an article about it today.

So tell me. When we didn't have obamacare, the poor people waited in the ER and wasted resources in other ways. Hospitals survived, but our premiums were much much much lower.

Despite rising healthcare costs pre-obamacare, the healthcare system didn't collapse.

So let's just go back to THAT broken system and lower our premiums back to where they were before.
The premium increases only apply to marketplace plans.

Quote:
As the chart above shows, more than 80% of Americans have heard or read news reports about premium increases that have focused on proposed increases in the ACA marketplaces. Sixty-eight percent think those increases apply to all insurance plans or to employer plans, through which 154 million Americans get coverage. In fact, they apply only to the ACA marketplace plans, through which about 11 million people are enrolled. Just 10% of the public understands that the increases they were hearing about apply only to marketplace plans.
Public Misperceptions About Obamacare Premium Increases - Washington Wire - WSJ

Last edited by Ibginnie; 10-25-2016 at 06:17 PM.. Reason: edited quoted post

Old 10-25-2016, 09:09 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,472,117 times
When Will Liberals Answer For Obamacare's Failures?

"No doubt, you’ll remember all those romantic charts and stories from the liberal smart-set predicting Obamacare’s affordability and success. Remember the jeering aimed at conservatives who argued state-run markets that inhibit genuine competition and increase regulations would only spur costs to rise? “Lies,” they said."

Old 10-25-2016, 09:13 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,750,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
If that was my math and I was young and relatively healthy, I would opt out and pay the fine - not more than 2 months premium at that rate.

And that folks is why Obamacare is not working - you can't only insure sick people and expect to turn a profit. Most young healthy (near minimum wage) workers do not buy insurance.
If we opt out, this will be the first time in our lives that we do not have health care insurance.

It's not a matter of not wanting to buy insurance, it's a matter of it being way too expensive. And they call this the Affordable Healthcare Act?

Old 10-25-2016, 09:17 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,750,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post

Pay unaffordable insurance premiums or pay a tax

When the left hammered Trump I kept trying to enlighten people .. that the government uses the tax code to encourage people to do what they want and Obamacare is an example.

Obamacare Either pay unaffordable insurance premiums or give your money to the government. Government raising taxes on middle class America. Do as Government wants or they'll take your money.

Invest: Government wants people to invest and Trump was doing what the government wanted... invest so he kept more of his money.

Government uses the tax code to encourage certain behaviors, no matter how unreasonable is a win/win for government.

Last edited by petch751; 10-25-2016 at 09:25 AM..

Old 10-25-2016, 09:20 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,472,117 times
U.S. Health-Care System Ranks as One of the Least-Efficient - Bloomberg

US healthcare is a rip off . Too much inefficiency .
Americans paying way too much for low quality health care .

Old 10-25-2016, 09:24 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,767,070 times
Quote:
If we opt out, this will be the first time in our lives that we do not have health care insurance.

It's not a matter of not wanting to buy insurance, it's a matter of it being way too expensive. And they call this the Affordable Healthcare Act?
It is only called "Affordable Health care Act" after Obamacare name was causing to be a burden to Obma and that's when he started to pull away from that name.

Both names are a joke and this ACT is a disgrace to the public.

It is sad that people without health care believed the lie and that we the people with insurance are now almost pushed out of health care to be affordable.

The new issue is that many people don't even dare to go to see a doctor as they are afraid what kind of test will be ordered that the patient has to pay for.

Washington senators and congressmen need to get the same plans with the same deductibles as we the people and see how long they will like it!

Old 10-25-2016, 09:27 AM

4,344 posts, read 5,800,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Soon way more people than ever before will be without health care coverage due to not able to afford it.

We pay $1900 premium with $6000 deductible! We started with $3000 deductible years ago ad thought that was absurd.

Today people on Facebook mentioned $10,000 deductible! !!
It's been creeping up for years. A year before my dad retired from his job of 40+ years his copay's and out of pocket went up along with his premium. The year between him retiring and becoming eligible for Medicare he was paying about $700 a month out of pocket for insurance for himself and my mom...while having the sky high deductibles and out of pocket expenses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
My girlfriend's increase just showed up in the mail today. $265/month more than last year. It is now around $1200/month with a 5k deductible. I'm not certain that people actually understand the economic ramifications of the excessive cost. Prior to Obamacare she was paying less than $500/month. What that means is she now has $700/month less to spend on going out to dinner and purchasing other goods and services. Multiply this by the millions of people that have been impacted and the enormity of the issue becomes clear.
OUCH!!! If I remember correctly we were all "told" this would not happen. This is what causes more to go without healthcare because they can't afford it along with putting a roof over their heads and food on the table.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections