Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 02:14 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,183,718 times

Advertisements

I bet those eye and hair color maps are bs. I have yet to find any reliable Norwegian data.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:17 PM

824 posts, read 3,602,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
I bet those eye and hair color maps are bs. I have yet to find any reliable Norwegian data.
agreed

Old 01-03-2014, 02:29 PM

824 posts, read 3,602,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaroW View Post
As a whole they are COMPLETELY different! I totally agree with it even if you have Nordic styles in the UK, France and Southern Germany!
southern germans dont look like brits or french... brits and french (mostly from west shores) are mainly descendants of pre germanic/celtic neolithic populations. central/southern germans are descendants from modern germanic/celtic and on lesser degree slavic populations.

thats why the atlantic looks of very black hair, pale skin and mixed to light eyes is so common among french and britons. the only difference is that tje french usually have more continental admixture (wether mediterranean or germanic). the english have more their own looks and usually dont overlap much with other europeans but the Irish.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:17 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,424,938 times
Terms such as Nordic, Mediterranean, Dinaric, etc... are archaic in the 21st century, much more precise studies such as genetics have overtaken those simplified terms. Though the Nordic race emcompassed the British Isles, Scandinavia, Low Countries and northern Germany. Southern Germany was seen as part of the Alpine race as well as France, Switzerland , Austria, northern Italy and the rest of central Europe.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:25 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
Terms such as Nordic, Mediterranean, Dinaric, etc... are archaic in the 21st century, much more precise studies such as genetics have overtaken those simplified terms. Though the Nordic race emcompassed the British Isles, Scandinavia, Low Countries and northern Germany. Southern Germany was seen as part of the Alpine race as well as France, Switzerland , Austria, northern Italy and the rest of central Europe.
what does that have to do with the thread topic?

Old 01-03-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
what does that have to do with the thread topic?
The thread asks "what continental country is most like England?", the answer would be one of the countries within what was anthropologically known to be in the Nordic racial zone. I was also referring to those who used terms such as Nordic in order to evaluate populations physically by using archaic terms such as Nordic, Mediterranean are still living in the past. That time has passed, it's the 21st century.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:24 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,574,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler86 View Post
its not my fantasy world any person with two eyes can see the differences between the brits and dutch, of course I talk about people who traveled to those places and not speaking from baseless internet sources, and there are english people like P london who agree with my point for some reason..
There are English people such as myself who can actually comment on what he sees with his own eyes, living here every day of the year. Your apparent visits to the UK do not mean anything to those of us who live here.

Last edited by Rozenn; 01-03-2014 at 05:10 PM.. Reason: Orphaned - Response to a deleted post

Old 01-03-2014, 04:28 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
The thread asks "what continental country is most like England?", the answer would be one of the countries within what was anthropologically known to be in the Nordic racial zone. I was also referring to those who used terms such as Nordic in order to evaluate populations physically by using archaic terms such as Nordic, Mediterranean are still living in the past. That time has passed, it's the 21st century.
Why would the racial type matter? Cultural similarities would be a relevant comparison, no clue why racial ones would be.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaroW View Post
Just check all maps!
There is a difference between Eastern and Western UK, between England/ Scotland/ Ireland/ Wales, but there is NO difference between Southern and Northern England.

Have you ever been in both Southern and Northern England or like most Brits you stay in the neighborhood...?
Well someone could say the same about any country, if they don't pay attention to details. The U.K. is made up of four countries which formed a union England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland. To you they might not be different, but they are. Isn't some people in Scotland asking for independance? So what you said was foolish. Within every country are similarities and differences. Even in England, for example in hair color we see that people with blonde and light hair are traditionally more common in eastern than western England. People with blue eyes, red hair, paler complexion are traditionally more frequent in northern than in southern England. The differences might not be that great, but they are consistent.

We can see on this map showing the distribution of redheaded people in Britain. We see the very north of England phenotypically more red-haired than even Scotland! It shows over 15%. So yes there is a difference between northern and southern England.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j...88880853396589

Last edited by saxonwold; 01-03-2014 at 05:49 PM..

Old 01-03-2014, 05:14 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,728,985 times
Does every thread in this subforum have to turn into a genetics discussion? Any regular has probably seen these same maps and videos dozens of times. It's the same discussion over and over and adds nothing to the thread. Note that the OP only mentioned linguistics and culture. Sure there are no rules against discussing the looks of people, but is it the only relevant topic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.