Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2008, 07:56 PM

7 posts, read 47,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdoitplease View Post
Just shaved my chest a few hours ago after a few hours of thinking about it. Im 24 and its the first time I've ever shaved it (before I would just trim it with a scissors). I have to say that I hate the way it looks now. I will never shave it again. It just looks so bare and I now realise that it made me look like much more of a man. Shaving your chest hair gives you more of a womans body. Also its itchy as hell. I've applied loads of moisturising cream and an antihistmaine cream called Eurax (contains cromatiton) to try to relieve the itchiness. Hopefully I'll get some of that hair back soon within the next few weeks before I go on holiday.
My guess would be that, within 48 hours, it won't feel so bad. Depends on how fast your hair grows but part of that irritation is just skin irritation from the shaving where you've never shaved before. The first time I ever shaved my chest and stomach, I got the same irritation and said the same thing, "Never again." The good thing is I find the itchy stage of hair regrowing lasts only a couple of days and is minor once you've gone through it a few times. Within a month, it hits what I call 'the comfort zone' where the hair is long and soft and feels nice. As I said elsewhere, both shaving and being hairy have their advantages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 09:08 PM

7 posts, read 47,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wclac View Post
I know man. I don't understand why people, especially women, are so hung on physical appearence. I would never shave for anyone. If women prefer shaved guys, then they must want men to look like little boys.
LOL. I see that coming up again and again. I prefer little girls myself as opposed to grown women and the proof is that I prefer women with shaved legs and shaved armpits. Clearly, the fact that it makes them look prepubescent is what attracts me. (I realize there are tons of literal-minded people so I better throw in a disclaimer explaining that I am joking).

I know there are some women that just dislike a lot of body hair and that's no different than not being attracted to any other certain type. But I repeatedly see this equation of shaving as unmasculine. Although I must admit I was watching an interview with Kevin Sorbo where he said that, when he was getting ready to play Hercules, they asked him if he would shave his chest and stomach (so the muscles would show more) and he said, "Oh, I'm sorry. I thought you had decided to cast a man in this role." I laughed. I thought it was funny even though I will tend to shave for a while and then do a complete 180 and let the hair grow full out for a while including on the face (and when I don't shave, I am Grizzly Adams hairy).

Old 10-04-2008, 05:08 PM

983 posts, read 3,599,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
I'm curious as to what your opinions are about men shaving their body hair. I am normally hairy, but I recently shaved all my body hair for the first time, for a photo shoot for a friends clothing company modeling shorts.

I've gotton mixed reactions from people about it. Some people react like it's great that I did it, they've said things like "Why don't more guys do that?" or "That looks so much better and cleaner."

Others have looked at me with an expression of confusion, "Why did you do that?", "I would never do that to myself." etc. It seems that women like it, and men react to it like it's wierd or unnatural. Some people even seem to think that only gay men shave thier bodies, however I am not gay.

Personally, I think it's much cleaner and better looking. It seems like women are more attracted to it too. I've also realized that when it's hot outside, having all that extra body hair just feels warm, sticky and nasty. I might just keep on shaving it.

So what is you alls opinion on this? It seems like there's a certain stigma in our society that "real men" don't do it. Thanks
I don't have much body hair. I just shave my pubic and armpit hair occasionally, but it doesn't really matter to me.

Old 11-16-2008, 08:58 AM

1 posts, read 8,599 times
Default Yes I do...

The act of shaving body hair is one of personal preference. I have been shaving my abs and below for about a year now. I just recently started shaving my chest, arms and legs...IT FEELS GREAT. So far the women seem to love it and YES the sex has been great. As far as age goes, it doesn't matter how old or young you are. My 19 year old son has been shaving his entire body since he was 14 and he has never had any "issues" with it. I go to the gym about 5 days a week and it seems like there are more guys who do than don't. It's not a gay thing, it's a preference thing. I am straight and so is my son, so it's definately not based on sexuality. Just my two cents.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:57 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by entbvr View Post
The act of shaving body hair is one of personal preference. I have been shaving my abs and below for about a year now. I just recently started shaving my chest, arms and legs...IT FEELS GREAT. So far the women seem to love it and YES the sex has been great. As far as age goes, it doesn't matter how old or young you are. My 19 year old son has been shaving his entire body since he was 14 and he has never had any "issues" with it. I go to the gym about 5 days a week and it seems like there are more guys who do than don't. It's not a gay thing, it's a preference thing. I am straight and so is my son, so it's definately not based on sexuality. Just my two cents.
You should try waxing if you really like it. Lasts longer and it gets rid of dead skin.
It only hurts the first time if at all.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:32 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,539,581 times
so what is the trick if you have lots of hair on the legs, but don't want a smooth look since you want to keep that masculine look. also, if the length of each hair averages over an inch. if you use an epilator cream, you will get red bumps and stubble. i tried the epilator and after two months, there is hair, but not so much which is how i like the look after 2 months. i wish it would look like that all the time. after 3 months, it gets back to being really hairy. so what is the trick to lessening the amount and length of each hair?

Old 11-28-2008, 11:07 PM

3,073 posts, read 8,025,234 times
Guy here. I don't shave except for my face. Just shaved off a beard. But if a guy wants to, let him. Somebody remarked not long ago that it all started with trying to get rid of all hair head to toe to evade the drug tests. I don't know about that, but sometimes I think about doing it. Tried it once in the genital area. Starts to itch when it starts growing again.

Old 11-29-2008, 01:24 PM

197 posts, read 734,957 times
My cousin told me recently that he shaves EVERYTHING, and I was shocked to hear him say that. I guess more so because even though he played football in high school he's always struck me as a little effeminate.

(thank goodness I'm having to shave less and less)

Kristie

Old 11-29-2008, 01:32 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesLang View Post
so what is the trick if you have lots of hair on the legs, but don't want a smooth look since you want to keep that masculine look. also, if the length of each hair averages over an inch. if you use an epilator cream, you will get red bumps and stubble. i tried the epilator and after two months, there is hair, but not so much which is how i like the look after 2 months. i wish it would look like that all the time. after 3 months, it gets back to being really hairy. so what is the trick to lessening the amount and length of each hair?
Buzzer with clip on guards. Beard or hair trimmer. They both work.
20 bucks for a cheap hair clipper (conair)
p.s. start with the longest (biggest) guard and go down one at a time to see what clip on looks natural on you for your hair type.

Old 12-14-2008, 05:53 AM

1 posts, read 8,375 times
I am bisexual currently in a hetero-monogamous relationship. You can imagine that I have seen and done a lot in my lifestyle. I have been shaving for years. Belly, genitals and other unseen areas. Pretty much everything but my forearms and legs (which may come in the future). I recently started shaving under my arms. For a while I was worried I may have some kind of mental problem like in that episode of Seinfeld where Jerry can't stop shaving (that was pretty funny); But eventually I realized that the reason I do it is because I like it. It doesn't matter what the woman thinks about it. If she doesn't like it then perhaps she should move on. If she isn't that concerned then she should say so.
It is a matter of personal preference. "Do what feels good" is my motto!
Bye the way; I find that my girlfriend, after realizing that I shave, is all for it. It feels great when she gives me rub downs and stuff. It offers an extra boost of sensuality too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty