Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 09:30 AM

324 posts, read 655,294 times

Advertisements

I noticed nobody commented on the yoga pants. lol Hard to defend except they are comfy and make your ass look hot, but is it classy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 09:35 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelee View Post
I noticed nobody commented on the yoga pants. lol Hard to defend except they are comfy and make your ass look hot, but is it classy?
I don't think that yoga pants are unclad day per se. But a classy person knows which occasions they are appropriate for and which ones they are not.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:35 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,023,230 times
Quote:
Are'nt those the handbags that have a lifetime guarantee? If that is so why would it be "ghetto" to own a real one? It seems to me that it would be a better investment then any other handbag since they also last longer.
Uh, no...Let's say you need what how many, at one time FOUR handbags. (a tote, clutch, daily workhorse like a satchel or hobo, and one other of whatever type. First, most women have more than, but let's concede that they are guaranteed for life. At the LV, Hermes, Chanel, Celine and Goyard price point those four bags could EASILY cost 5,000.

At $50 a bag just for easy math, I could by bags for my entire life -- of different styles, colors, sizes -- whatever (not just four).....and not total $5,000.

Quote:
One more thing, why should you care what anyone else is carrying anyway? That sounds kind of petty to me.
As a passing curiosity, I just marvel at the sociology and psychology of consumer patterns...it involves person beliefs (that people will admit and won't admit, the subconscious, societal conformity, thoughts about money....all that.

I have a good friend who declares she just likes Hermes, LV, Celine, and Chanel because of the bag designs -- they LOOK good, and will last. Funny thing is though she never happens to like ANYTHING that's NOT expensive designer.

Right now she's into Hermes scarves -- bandana size mind you not even the larger ones -- at 450.00. I go with her to shop and I do see that they are gorgeous. BUT I'm not spending 450.00 on a scarf when I can get one that (in my mind) looks just as nice, and will get compliments also -- for 5.00. ANd I make more than her, and my mortgage is less than hers. BUT.....most people have their thing that they will spend money on ( for me it's food, a good meal and the finest restaurants).

Soooo, if someone what to carry a designer logo bag -- fake or real...I might find it interesting, but it is THEIR business. I just don't want them costing me any money as a TAXPAYER!

Old 10-19-2013, 10:36 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,817,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelee View Post
A good friend of mine made me get rid of all my Coach handbags 3 years ago. I am glad she did because I guess I was oblivious but now I see the most low class people carrying around a Coach handbag. I am unsure where Michael Kors stands, but I have one red handbag from MK.

I went out and bought Louis Vuitton and now I am seeing those all over the place.

What do most of you carry?
I have about $6k in LV damier graphite pieces. I love the design and quality.

Coach is a few notches below LV which is few notches below Hermes which is a few notches below X, etc. Coach still has quality stuff. For men, the monogram wars isn't as important since women are so competitive with these things.

Buy what you can afford and what is appealing to you. Class is judged as a whole, not by material things. A ghetto lowlife with LV belt does not equal class, neither is the young hipster with a LV backpack wearing a G-Shock watch.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:56 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,153,088 times
I just want to add my two cents to this thread. I am a guy who likes woman. All of you woman buying 1-2000 dollar hand bags are ridiculous and you should really get your priorities straight. I can't imagine the need. And trust me, guys don't give two sh ts about hand bags, nails, or any of that other crap. When we look at you women, we look at your face, body shape, hair, etc. We could care less what kind of bag you carry or how much you paid for it. I'm sure many women even think this. I think I can actually speak for most men on this issue regarding designer handbags. The media is creating a bunch of cows. Everyone just follows the next person, no matter how much it costs. It's idiotic if you ask me. I can't see how any of those stupid purses can cost so much. Are they made of diamonds or something? Heck, for that price it better make me a sandwich and play sportscenter! I just think that it's very dumb. That's just my opinion. Take it for what it is.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:04 AM

3,633 posts, read 6,174,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
You have too much money

My bags cost between $20-$40. No need to spend more.
Amen, sistah! I sometimes read these fashion threads for a laugh. Remember Carrie in Sex in the City would couldn't make a down payment on a condo and realized she had spent $40,000 on shoes?

I'll never understand spending so much money on an accessory that no one pays attention to, or $25 a pop to someone to paint your nails, which you could do at home for pennies with a $6 bottle of nail polish that lasts forever.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:11 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,153,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
Amen, sistah! I sometimes read these fashion threads for a laugh. Remember Carrie in Sex in the City would couldn't make a down payment on a condo and realize she had spent $40,000 on shoes?

I'll never understand spending so much money on an accessory that no one pays attention to, or $25 a pop to someone to paint your nails, which you could do at home for pennies with a $6 bottle of nail polish that lasts forever.

Personally, I don't think that woman buying these bags are doing it for men. I think it is more of a way to compete with other women in status which is just as ridiculous. Like if I have a three thousand dollar bag, I'm better than you and your cheap 40 dollar bag. It's so ridiculous. However, I see that girl/ woman with the forty dollar bag has money in the bank and some common sense!

Old 10-19-2013, 11:20 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Coach started manufacturing their bags in China, Turkey and the DR in the late 90s-early 2000s....flooded the market and watered down the brand's "status".
That is when I cut ties with Coach. I used to be a big fan when they were still truly a classic brand. I was in one of their stores looking to buy a leather cellphone case to match my purse and noticed a big honking "Made in China" stamped on the outside of it. Also noticed the price was still just as high as the other Coach products. I wrote a letter of complaint to Coach. Some great American brand! If they are going to go against all their former principles and make their products in China like all the schlock companies do, then they can at least pass some of the gigantic labor savings onto the consumer, but no, too greedy. So I decided to find other suppliers that still gave me what I used to like in Coach: quality leather, American company manufacturing in America, classic looks, long wearing and sturdy products. And they are findable ... even in 2013 they are out there ... there's a whole world of handbags, people, you just need to look beyond the big names with their logos and initials plastered all over them that everybody know about!

To the OP: As for Louis Vuitton, what you are seeing out there is 99% fakes. It is the most faked brand on the planet. Go to their website and see the prices of the real thing. Then look at all the people you see with what you think is LV handbags and, realistically, you know many of them cannot afford the real thing. I am in Manhattan almost everyday. I see LV and other fakes all the time, most of them horrible, on people on the bus and subway who I can tell cannot afford the real thing. So if you think being seen with Coach or Michael Kors (also widely seen on NYC mass transit) is "ghetto," unfortunately, being seen with Louis Vuitton may make you look just like another person with a Louis Vuitton fake unless the rest of your dress, automobile, etc., looks suitably upscale to match. Two other brands with high levels of fakes are Gucci and Tifffany (jewelry).

For people looking for quality classic American made handbags (and other leather goods) who don't need designer initials all over them, here's an example of a brand I'm a fan of:

Libaire leather backpacks, leather bags, leather accessories

Old 10-19-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
Amen, sistah! I sometimes read these fashion threads for a laugh. Remember Carrie in Sex in the City would couldn't make a down payment on a condo and realized she had spent $40,000 on shoes?

I never paid to have my nails done either until I started getting shellac. that is usually between 22-25 dollars.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
I just want to add my two cents to this thread. I am a guy who likes woman. All of you woman buying 1-2000 dollar hand bags are ridiculous and you should really get your priorities straight. I can't imagine the need. And trust me, guys don't give two sh ts about hand bags, nails, or any of that other crap. When we look at you women, we look at your face, body shape, hair, etc. We could care less what kind of bag you carry or how much you paid for it. I'm sure many women even think this. I think I can actually speak for most men on this issue regarding designer handbags. The media is creating a bunch of cows. Everyone just follows the next person, no matter how much it costs. It's idiotic if you ask me. I can't see how any of those stupid purses can cost so much. Are they made of diamonds or something? Heck, for that price it better make me a sandwich and play sportscenter! I just think that it's very dumb. That's just my opinion. Take it for what it is.

lol, he does make sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty