Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2015, 02:27 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,425,047 times

Advertisements

Service Merchandise.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 02:37 PM

687 posts, read 915,547 times
Ames.

It was kinda like K-mart, and I believe local to the east coast and upper mid west.

Actually: it was this particular store, which I'm now seeing has made it's way to Wikipedia.

Sat like that for 10 or so years until Wal-Mart started constructing a new store (nearing completion). Along the way someone tried to steal some copper wire from the long abandoned store which happened to be live and ended up killing himself. Oh, and I'm an electrician these days.

Too many Wal-Marts in this area as it is. They'll have 3 within a ten mile radius of each other.

Old 04-20-2015, 03:13 PM

238 posts, read 227,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillcountrywinefan View Post
Borders Books - I really miss that place.

Filene's

Parisian

And from my youth, those who grew up in NY and NJ will no doubt remember Two Guys.
I remember Two Guys sold some brand of hot dog buns that I just loved. Honey egg something or other. I also remember the blue laws and my gramma came and wanted a TV on a Sunday although they technically couldn't sell it to her until Monday, that baby was in our home and in the living room and the Sunday Disney Movie played that night upstairs! (my parents didn't want her to have to go down to the basement where the only tv was). Not sure how she managed it but she was always having magical things like that happen (it seemed to us kids) that didn't work for anyone else.

For those of you too young to remember, the stores used to rope off everything but the food (the only thing they could sell on Sundays).

Old 04-20-2015, 03:36 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Service Merchandise.
...and Naum's and Present Company--all three were showroom/catalog stores.

Old 04-20-2015, 03:44 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,449,875 times
Montgomery Ward, LaMont's and Mervyn's

(Not relevant to this board but I really miss Borders Books!)

Old 04-20-2015, 04:42 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,270,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Service Merchandise.
I remember them! I found a really neat Kodak Star 3x zoom film camera back in 1996, when I was getting ready for a 1997 trip to Australia. That camera took great photos and I remember the staff there being really nice and helpful.

I also remember a store known as BEST (actually Best Products) in the early nineties. I had moved to an apartment and found a lot of stuff there: A VCR, desk, wall clock, floor and table lamps, even a treadmill. I really liked that store.

Just read they went into their first bankruptcy in 1991, but they didn't completely disappear till later.

Old 04-20-2015, 05:09 PM

4,186 posts, read 3,399,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
May Company Flagship store at Wilshire and LaBrea in Los Angeles. As a kid, I loved old-fashioned department stores with mezzanines and creaky wooden escalators. Once I started shopping for myself, it was one of my favorite places to go, but I never cared for the mall locations. The building has long since been converted to museum space at LACMA, but the original facade remains.

Bullock's- A "rich old lady" store. I worked there one Christmas season while in college, and used my discount to buy gifts, but they didn't sell much that appealed to me at that age. Still, I was sad to see it go.

J.W. Robinson (Beverly Hills)- Was comparable to Sak's, but carried more contemporary labels, and hired younger sales associates, so I found it more approachable. It lost a lot of its luster when it merged with May Co. (which, by then, had also declined in prestige) to become Robinson's-May, and then died a quick death when Macy's acquired the brand.

Throw in The Broadway and I'm likely to cry.

Old 04-20-2015, 05:10 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Those were the days! My sisters shopped at Manic Panic (don't think I did, unless you also sold records in which case I probably did) and I used to go to Canal Jean, I. Buss, and a few others to get cool punk-rocky stuff.

No we didn't sell records but there were at least 3 record shops on St.Mark's Pl. at that time.

Canal Jean? I loved that place!

Old 04-20-2015, 05:25 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs123 View Post
I remember them! I found a really neat Kodak Star 3x zoom film camera back in 1996, when I was getting ready for a 1997 trip to Australia. That camera took great photos and I remember the staff there being really nice and helpful.

I also remember a store known as BEST (actually Best Products) in the early nineties. I had moved to an apartment and found a lot of stuff there: A VCR, desk, wall clock, floor and table lamps, even a treadmill. I really liked that store.

Just read they went into their first bankruptcy in 1991, but they didn't completely disappear till later.
The best part about those stores is that they had conveyer belts that brought you the merchandise, after you filled out a little card with a mini golf style pencil.

Old 04-20-2015, 05:40 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,223,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs123 View Post
I'm also remembering a Walgreen's from long ago--you probably couldn't find one here like that now--it was right next to one of those small, family-run grocery stores I haven't seen in decades, either.
Does anyone remember the Grill at Walgreens? They served shakes, malts, burgers, breakfast etc...
and that special diet plate (scoop of cottage cheese, a peach and a hamburger patty)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty