Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 08:04 AM

945 posts, read 968,382 times

Advertisements

Being a male, I personally don't wear make-up or know many men that wear make-up. Is there a reason women, especially married or "taken" women using make-up for work, family gatherings, shopping, etc feel the need to improve their sex appeal for no logical reason?

Isn't the point of make-up to make you look better than you naturally are?

Isn't this done on some level to overly represent your natural features to attract a mate/partner/husband?

If you are OK with your partner seeing you without make-up and feel comfortable with it, why do you feel the need to showoff to strangers that have less importance in your life in a fake and sexually improved facade?

Is a pure and natural look unacceptable to women because they don't feel their looks acceptable for public consumption? What is the goal of make-up in day to day life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 08:14 AM

21,136 posts, read 19,714,475 times
Maybe they're ugly?

Old 01-09-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Maybe they're ugly?
Salient point, but there are ugly men too. And if you are ugly or pretty and married aren't you done courting men?

Old 01-09-2013, 09:16 AM

6,472 posts, read 6,678,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
Salient point, but there are ugly men too. And if you are ugly or pretty and married aren't you done courting men?
I hope you are not as chauvinistic as this makes you sound. I don't wear makeup to "court men." Nor do I dress nicely, keep myself in shape, practice good hygiene, get attractive haircuts, or wear pretty jewelry to "court men." I like things that look nice. I enjoy them. I feel prettier with makeup, jewelry, hair done, and nicely made clothing than I feel with bed head, splotchy-skinned face, and a sweatsuit. Does my husband appreciate the effort I put into looking my best? Yes. Is it a cultural thing? Certainly. But ultimately I do it for me. Makeup (and all the rest) is fun and artistic.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I hope you are not as chauvinistic as this makes you sound. I don't wear makeup to "court men." Nor do I dress nicely, keep myself in shape, practice good hygiene, get attractive haircuts, or wear pretty jewelry to "court men." I like things that look nice. I enjoy them. I feel prettier with makeup, jewelry, hair done, and nicely made clothing than I feel with bed head, splotchy-skinned face, and a sweatsuit. Does my husband appreciate the effort I put into looking my best? Yes. Is it a cultural thing? Certainly. But ultimately I do it for me. Makeup (and all the rest) is fun and artistic.
I'm not, but frankly I don't care what you think about me.

I get working out, it has benefits beyond superficial ones that one can logically understand.
However, nice clothes are subjective and hard to argue. You may have new clothes from Target and I may shop at J Crew which, to me are nice clothes and your are not. However both are publicly accepted and practical to shield us from elements.

So your splotchy skin is not good enough to showcase to the world? I don't have splotchy skin, but I am not the prototype of skin by any measure and I have no embarrassment in showcasing what I was given in the genetic lottery.

So your husband appreciates the effort you put into yourself? Why would he care if you put make-up on or not when you go to work? (Presuming you don't work at the same location)

When he sees your natural face and bed head in the morning is he revolted to the point where he demands you do fix yourself up? Do you put on make-up while you do chores around the house? Or maybe do your hair before raking leaves?

Old 01-09-2013, 10:28 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,711,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
Being a male, I personally don't wear make-up or know many men that wear make-up. Is there a reason women, especially married or "taken" women using make-up for work, family gatherings, shopping, etc feel the need to improve their sex appeal for no logical reason?

Isn't the point of make-up to make you look better than you naturally are?

Isn't this done on some level to overly represent your natural features to attract a mate/partner/husband?

If you are OK with your partner seeing you without make-up and feel comfortable with it, why do you feel the need to showoff to strangers that have less importance in your life in a fake and sexually improved facade?

Is a pure and natural look unacceptable to women because they don't feel their looks acceptable for public consumption? What is the goal of make-up in day to day life?
Why do you comb your hair, shave, or wear nicer clothes sometimes than others? Do you feel the need to showoff to strangers in a fake and sexually improved facade? Or is it because you feel your looks aren't acceptable for public consumption?

Old 01-09-2013, 10:41 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Why do you comb your hair, shave, or wear nicer clothes sometimes than others? Do you feel the need to showoff to strangers in a fake and sexually improved facade? Or is it because you feel your looks aren't acceptable for public consumption?
Since the op is so quick to deny being chauvanistic, although, he may not be best judge of what he is or isn't... Plus, his assumptions are not necessarily valid, because, plenty of women do not go to bed without some makeup. He can't figure out why women don't want to let themselves go after they are married. Many of his assumptions are ridiculous. He reminds me of the type of male who falls for a woman who dresses in provocative outfits, then, after marriage, he can't stand the way she dresses and tries putting a stop to it. His type is common.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:51 AM

417 posts, read 825,067 times
try the opposite approach and dress down, wear no make-up, and generally look like what people would call a slob. after you see what happens doing that you'll get why people try to fix themselves up to look pretty. It's all about making yourself feel better by believing you're projecting a certain image to the world. Those who don't care (because they got what they want or are just apathetic) set the standards. Those who do care are the ones blowing their hard dough on plastic, pointlessly expensive clothes, and jewels that most likely require some kind across the world to die.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
When I am at work, there are hardly any women I am attracted to. My hair is kept short because it is easier to manage and I simply dry it with a towel. I only shave on certain occasions, and because its winter it is rather unkempt but fully functional.

I wore jeans and a t-shirt to work under my coat, which to me protected me from the elements and also made me comfortable at work today. It was completely practical.

I am not married, but I am currently dating someone and if I felt I saw someone I was attracted to I may or may not present a higher level of sexual facade. I personally would rather attract someone on my default looks and mind rather than be fake, but that is just me.

I wasn't trying to slam women, I completely understand why single women use make-up. There could be an opportunity to entice a prospective man/women (depending on how you roll) and this make logical sense.

Some of you are getting a little bent out of shape! Settle down, this is merely for discussion and psychological understanding!

Old 01-09-2013, 01:06 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,147,058 times
I've told my very attractive 37-year-old wife a million times that when she spends an hour putting on make-up, she has improved her looks by.... 5%. She asks me about her hair when she styles it or gets it cut. She stated once "I got it layered!" I don't even know what that means. Her hair is gorgeous - kempt or unkempt (well... at least somewhat combed).

Women are pretty. You guys spend so much time trying to improve what doesn't need improving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty