Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 12:33 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,795,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyandMarried View Post
Yea ..... there's a conservation starter - "Excuse me, I can't help but notice that you have a tattoo of tweety bird on your arm. Can you tell me the deep significance tweety has played in your life?"

Or how about "I noticed you have the same design tattoed on your arm that many of the football players have. Can you tell me what deep significance this design has played in your life? Does it have a name? Could you not think of something original to mark yourself with?"

Or maybe "I noticed your severed Wednesday Adams head crying blood on your arm. I'm sorry, but the job you applied for has been filled."
So what you are saying is that people with tattoos need to justify them to you, before you would consider them to be a reasonable choice of ink?

Do you think that the people you see with them look like that when they go to work? I work in an enviroment that does not allow visible tattoos or peircings. I have one right on the outside of my wrist that is covered by a bracelet. Does that affect my job performance? Not in the slightest. Did I get the job as well as being promoted, yes. All I am trying to say is that just because people have ink, doesn't make them stupid. And their choices are their choices. The fact that you would make fun of someone because of that amuses me. You would think that by 2007 people would be more accepting. Just a shame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2006, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Yea ..... there's a conservation starter - "Excuse me, I can't help but notice that you have a tattoo of tweety bird on your arm. Can you tell me the deep significance tweety has played in your life?"

Or how about "I noticed you have the same design tattoed on your arm that many of the football players have. Can you tell me what deep significance this design has played in your life? Does it have a name? Could you not think of something original to mark yourself with?"

Or maybe "I noticed your severed Wednesday Adams head crying blood on your arm. I'm sorry, but the job you applied for has been filled."
Also, as far as having a tattoo be a conversation starter, mine have been. People ask me what my tattoo means all the time.

Old 12-20-2006, 12:46 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,333,980 times
Wasn't going to post on here, but feel I just have to.
For many years I worked retail in Music stores. I worked with all kinds of young adults. One young lady I had the privilege to work with had a couple of tatoos. She also had several piercings in her ears and one in her nose. I never could be sure what color hair she was going to have and she preferred to dress in dark clothing (the girl on NCIS always makes me think of her.) She was one of the most reliable and responsible coworkers I ever had. She was fresh out of high school when I first met her, but she quickly moved up to a management position and quickly moved beyond that with another company.
We moved a lot when I was growing up. I was always very shy. The one way I felt I could express myself was through my own style. My Mom encouraged me to always have the confidence to do that. My style may not include tatoos, but I don't understand why it would be such a problem if somebody's style does.

Old 12-20-2006, 12:50 PM

409 posts, read 1,236,946 times
Trust me - I have done some WAY stupid things in my life when I was younger. Getting on a motorcycle that was equipped with Nitrus Oxide and breaking the speedometer at 140 was just one of them.

People's choices ARE their own - good or bad, right or wrong, they have to live with them for the rest of their lives.

I can tell a funny story because I survived the 140+ mph incident on 2 wheels . But when you look at me you don't know about it, I don't have to wear clothing to hide it, it doesn't effect my job prospects, or how people perceive me (until I tell them, they they think I'm nutz).

Because I don't agree with marking your body with ink doesn't mean I think everyone who does it is stupid. Are you memorializing your mother? I think that's honorable. Are you proud of your regiment in the service? Another honorable choice. Your family coat of arms? Great. Honorable.

Tweety bird? No, your an idiot. Elmer Fudd. Ditto. The same design in the same place that everyone else has? You are not only an idiot, you have no imagination!

And no one has to justify anything to me. I don't care how many tattoos or piercings someone has, or if they jump off a bridge because Kirt Cobain committed suicide. This thread is not about me - it's about how people in general feel about tattoos. And I'm posting my opinion as a White, middle-class, 40-something in middle management at a conservative business.

Old 12-20-2006, 01:10 PM

409 posts, read 1,236,946 times
Well ..... I though it was about how people feel about tattoos. When I went back and looked at the beginning I now see it's for showing pictures of your tattoos.

Well, as someone else here said - you should be prepared for all posts, good and bad.

Old 12-20-2006, 01:24 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poprocksncoke View Post
Also, as far as having a tattoo be a conversation starter, mine have been. People ask me what my tattoo means all the time.
Yup, me too!! It's actually allowed me to meet some cool people, and often the "types" you wouldn't expect to care... I've had blue-haired old ladies comment on them, in a positive & inquisitive manner. And when I met my new dentist - a seemingly conservative Indian man - he got all excited about my tattoos, and lifted his shirt sleeve to reveal a gorgeous arm full of ink!! Thankfully, not everyone is as judgemental as some of you think.

Also, don't be quick to assume things (to those who are making negative comments), since you never know who's hiding tattoos under their clothing. Mine are all covered by normal clothing, so people are often surprised to find out what's underneath.

Old 12-20-2006, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yup, me too!! It's actually allowed me to meet some cool people, and often the "types" you wouldn't expect to care... I've had blue-haired old ladies comment on them, in a positive & inquisitive manner. And when I met my new dentist - a seemingly conservative Indian man - he got all excited about my tattoos, and lifted his shirt sleeve to reveal a gorgeous arm full of ink!! Thankfully, not everyone is as judgemental as some of you think.

Also, don't be quick to assume things (to those who are making negative comments), since you never know who's hiding tattoos under their clothing. Mine are all covered by normal clothing, so people are often surprised to find out what's underneath.
There is nothing hotter than a man who works in a "conservative" line of work.. that comes home in a shirt and tie.. takes it off and you see the hidden ink.. wooo!!

Old 12-20-2006, 01:34 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,158,308 times
I am going to chime in here as well.
Personally, I do not like tattoos and Personally, I am such a chicken that I would never get one because I've heard they hurt. I like body piercing a lot less. Personally, I don't like bodies FULL of tattoos and Personally, I've seen a lot of cute tattoos in cute places. And just because you have a tattoo does not make you good, bad, or stupid.
I had the floors in my house redone a few months ago. One of the guys had a lot of tattoos and he was one of the nicest people I have ever dealt with.

Old 12-20-2006, 01:43 PM

Quote:
I can tell a funny story because I survived the 140+ mph incident on 2 wheels . But when you look at me you don't know about it, I don't have to wear clothing to hide it, it doesn't effect my job prospects, or how people perceive me (until I tell them, they they think I'm nutz).
Well, it hasn't affected my job prospects either! You see, some employers actually care about education, experience, personality, and all the other truly important stuff. I've worked as a teacher (literacy/ESL & music), classical musician, library intern, ice-skating coach, retail manager, youth camp director, and so on... and not once have my tattoos been an issue. I understand that many places have a dress code, which might include covering tattoos, but that shouldn't affect your ability to be hired. As long as you present yourself properly, and agree to dress appropriately, that's usually quite sufficient.

Quote:
Tweety bird? No, your an idiot. Elmer Fudd. Ditto. The same design in the same place that everyone else has? You are not only an idiot, you have no imagination!
For all you know, Tweety Bird could be a memorial to someone's dead sister, who loved the cartoon... I have a few that might seem silly to others, but to me they all have some kind of significance. Anyway, who made you the tattoo police, with the power to deem what is good ink vs. stupid ink?? If you really don't judge people, what they have shouldn't be an issue either. Btw, I agree that some tattoos appear to be bad choices, but I'd NEVER judge someone or tease them based on these. I even regret one or two of mine, but still appreciate them because they represent a moment in my life.

Quote:
And no one has to justify anything to me. I don't care how many tattoos or piercings someone has, or if they jump off a bridge because Kirt Cobain committed suicide. This thread is not about me - it's about how people in general feel about tattoos. And I'm posting my opinion as a White, middle-class, 40-something in middle management at a conservative business.
Well, I'm posting my opinion as a 30-year old, white, Jewish, recent grad-school graduate, and professional reference librarian... doesn't get much more conservative than librarianship, LOL. And fyi, this thread was really just about people with tattoos sharing their pictures... I don't remember anyone (especially the original poster) asking for everyone's opinions. If the original question was "what does everyone think about tattoos", I wouldn't give you any crap. But for goodness sakes, we're just trying to have a nice conversation!

Old 12-20-2006, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poprocksncoke View Post
There is nothing hotter than a man who works in a "conservative" line of work.. that comes home in a shirt and tie.. takes it off and you see the hidden ink.. wooo!!
I know, isn't it?? My sister works as a lawyer for the police department (and has one tattoo, fyi), and many of her officers are inked... there's one REALLY gorgeous cop, who has a full sleeve that pokes out of his uniform. Can we say yummy???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty