Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 01:32 PM

209 posts, read 536,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
If you think it bad that is your view
I have just seen much worse areas.
That's cool. I guess I just haven't been through those areas yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 03:00 PM

10 posts, read 40,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
I'm more concerned about the people's comments of places they've just driven thru..without knowing anything about the area itself.

I'll comment on an area that I actally have knowledge of. The Parramore area of Orlando. 5xs as scary as Pine Hills. I go thru Pine Hills every day and haven't been murdered once.

You're lucky -- it may have been the person right before or right after you or they were reloading!!

I don't go into any area riddled with crime -- if I do I am packing!!

Old 07-05-2010, 06:44 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,283,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juleysis1990 View Post
Palm beach county. The wealth/income disparity in that county is scary. Meth addicts poor illegal aliens, dirty streets surrounded by multimillionaires and billionaires

The whole county huh?

Wow.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:18 PM

109 posts, read 438,317 times
TriMtz, I think the last poster did not realize Palm Beach, West Palm Beach, parts of Palm Beach etc. What people from the North do not always understand is most of South Florida is not homegenius. Spelled wrong but what it means it is not like back home where you have inner city, city, north side, south side, and then the suburbs which also goes in degress of upscale. Most places I have been in Florida coastline is either "feast or Famine". Tell Trumph or the Kennedy's that Palm Beach is tacky..

Old 07-05-2010, 08:29 PM

109 posts, read 438,317 times
In defense of the post on Palm Beach and the disparity of wealth making things a complecated line drawing issue. I guess to an extent the comment was well directed but precieved wrong. Yes that area is one that has big bucks looking out the east side at the Atlantic and 2 blocks west you have big time poverty and crime. It is not a model for assumptions of the whole county but for the beach front or higher end, yes there is a lot to be said about the close line of the have and have nots in certain areas of "PALM BEACH"?

Old 07-05-2010, 10:06 PM

122 posts, read 400,402 times
Northwest Florida. This includes, but not limited to: Pensacola, Milton, Pace, Crestview, and Cantonment. I've lived in this area my entire life and it's a toxic wasteland. It's rural poverty at it's worst which isn't a surprise considering how high the unemployment rate is and the lack of decent paying jobs in the area. Highest paying job I can find here currently.... $8 an hour at wal-mart which is out of my field. I am "talking" to a company in the Tampa area for a position in my field that is $17 an hour and if I am able to land that position, I will be moving. Tampa has a slightly higher cost of living, but over 2x the pay, it will be worth it. Every time I drive through places like Tampa, Orlando, Jacksonville, I realize just how bad Northwest Florida really is.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:08 PM

6,615 posts, read 16,490,667 times
Belle Glade and surrounding towns are the worst I've seen.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:23 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,506,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernKyllr View Post
I have lived in FL almost my entire life -- the scariest part - dodging the damn yankees on the highways and byways. It is the low-lifes coming in from other states that ruin our beautiful state. That is why as soon as I retire -- I am gone!!
Yes all those rednecks that run meth labs in Polk County are yankees...LOL.

Please FL has plenty of homegrown white trash and low life blacks that add to the mix.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:48 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,215,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJimLay View Post
Northwest Florida. This includes, but not limited to: Pensacola, Milton, Pace, Crestview, and Cantonment. I've lived in this area my entire life and it's a toxic wasteland. It's rural poverty at it's worst which isn't a surprise considering how high the unemployment rate is and the lack of decent paying jobs in the area. Highest paying job I can find here currently.... $8 an hour at wal-mart which is out of my field. I am "talking" to a company in the Tampa area for a position in my field that is $17 an hour and if I am able to land that position, I will be moving. Tampa has a slightly higher cost of living, but over 2x the pay, it will be worth it. Every time I drive through places like Tampa, Orlando, Jacksonville, I realize just how bad Northwest Florida really is.
true enough. The panhandle has some nice beaches (we'll see for how long), but outside of that, it might as well be part of the deep south. I couldn't live anywhere in FL besides the bigger cities.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:11 AM

122 posts, read 400,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
true enough. The panhandle has some nice beaches (we'll see for how long), but outside of that, it might as well be part of the deep south. I couldn't live anywhere in FL besides the bigger cities.
Yep. I do love the beaches here, or at least used to before the oil. However, the rest of the panhandle is just as you said, the deep south. I am looking into possibility relocating to Tampa. We'll see how that flies. I've never lived in a large city before so it'll be an adjustment for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida