Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 11:19 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
When did you move to Florida?
We arrived in Florida on September 10, 2001. The next day was very frightening and the first few months were rocky but things got better.

Where are you located?
I live about half way between Orlando and Daytona.

What do you like about living in Florida?

I don't like cold weather so I love that it never gets really cold here. I love the beach and they are never far away. I love the waterparks in Orlando and the amusement parks as well.

What advice do you give for those of us who want to move to Florida, because if you moved their and like it, you must have made some great decisions along the way.
I had a friend who was director of a department in an insurance company, she offered me a job because she was having a problem getting good help. I moved here with a job in place. I recommend that highly. It also helped me to have someone I knew and trusted already living here so give me some information about places.
That is an important key as we have many friends who live all over Florida we are communicating with about choosing the right town.

Oh yes, we also love the waterparks also!

Lindsey, what beach area do you go to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmy3grls View Post
We moved to Florida from Long Island, NY in June 2005. We moved to Wellington in Palm Beach County. While it is a beautiful, safe and wonderful area, it just was not exactly what we were looking for. It was a little too hot too long, we experienced Cat 3 hurricane Wilma 3 months after moving, and reminded us too much of NY crowded, traffic, expensive. So, we decided to move North to St Augustine, we loved the Florida lifestyle, just needed something a little different. Well, I can happily say that we are extremely happy and settled here now, and rarely miss back home (except for the people of course). This area is so wonderful, change of seasons but no winter, beautiful beaches, sightseeing, great schools, nice people, we feel it really has it all!!
We love Florida for so many reasons, the weather, beaches, the fact that our kids play outside every day no matter the season, they are living a very healthy lifestyle, and people are just laid back - no stress here in Florida!! We have beautiful sunsets, and you can see millions of stars on any given night. My 10 year old called me outside the other day to look at the sunset, you just cannot get more confirmation than that to feel you made the right decision. Good luck to you - you make your own happiness no matter where you live!!
My advice would be come to Florida with an open mind, no preconcieved notions of anything, make your decisions once you are here, rent a house first then buy, make sure you have a job, ask around for advice, people are always willing to help you out, and most importantly make the best of whatever decision you make, your attitude can make or break your happiness in life.
Another great story and information that will help others. If you do not find your paradise at first, move until you do.

When a 10 year old calls you outside to see a sunset that means something. They must be enjoying it as well!!

Congrats and thanks for sharing the great info.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:21 PM

88 posts, read 413,859 times

May 3, 2006 from Newport Beach, CA (5 years) and Hawaii (12 years before that.) Never even been to Florida before prior to the move.

Where are you located?

Tequesta, but looked in areas from Miami to Daytona. I was not interested in the Gulf side.

It is much less crowed than California, the cost of living is lower (compared to Ca and Hawaii), homes are affordable (even in 2005) compared to where I was, there is no snow (never lived in snow and have no interest in any climate below 75 degrees), I love high humidity, the people are nicer than in So. Cal, I could afford a home within feet of the ocean and beach, and finally I moved because life is too short not too.

What advice do you give for those of us who want to move to Florida, because if you moved their and like it, you must have made some great decisions along the way.

Forget where you came from and how you did things where you came from. People in Florida really don't care how you did it where you came from. If you want to continue having the things you have where you are, and live the life you are living, but want a warmer climate, buy a space heater and tanning bed and save your time and money by not moving to Florida. Having lived in many "vacation" areas, it is my educated opinion that the vacation abruptly stops when you move and real life begins.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:46 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
That is an important key as we have many friends who live all over Florida we are communicating with about choosing the right town.

Oh yes, we also love the waterparks also!

Lindsey, what beach area do you go to?
I don't often get to go over to Sanibel and Captiva but that is my favorite place in the whole world. Cao Costa is heaven.

Normally we go to the Ponce Inlet beach which is near the old red brick light house, right above New Smyrna.

Everytime I go, I ask myself why its been so long since I was there last. I'm the kind of person who has a hard time relaxing, except when I am at the beach, I take a comfy lounge chair and fall asleep with the music of the waves crashing nearby. My daughter loves to play and you know how fast they make friends.

I have been a beach lover all my life, love to search for sea shells which are like precious jewels to me.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I don't often get to go over to Sanibel and Captiva but that is my favorite place in the whole world. Cao Costa is heaven.

Normally we go to the Ponce Inlet beach which is near the old red brick light house, right above New Smyrna.

Every time I go, I ask myself why its been so long since I was there last. I'm the kind of person who has a hard time relaxing, except when I am at the beach, I take a comfy lounge chair and fall asleep with the music of the waves crashing nearby. My daughter loves to play and you know how fast they make friends.

I have been a beach lover all my life, love to search for sea shells which are like precious jewels to me.
My kids go crazy on the beach building sandcastles and playing with the others kids like your daughter, they make friends and start playing.

We also love to look for shells, we have found some amazing shells in Florida. One really, really nice shell we are proud to have found is one huge conch we found on Treasure Island. We also find many nice shells around the Venice Beach area.

Last year we took them down to Myrtle Beach to be a part of the worlds largest sandcastle building during the SunFun Festival in MB.

We also love Sanibel Island. Our fav is still Ana Maria and or Siesta Keys.

Just too many to mention. We like Sunset Beach Park just because it is quiet and small and you can relax and enjoy the area. Located up in Tarpon Springs. They have a nice playground on the way in that kids love to take time to play on.

And of course any beach in the panhandle is like being in heaven.

I now miss the beach even more and cannot wait to get down there so we can head over to the beach. We are waiting on a call on a couple houses hitting the market and we are coming down for a look and will not miss the chance to hit the beach for a few hours or so.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:25 AM

67 posts, read 311,920 times
Quote:
One really, really nice shell we are proud to have found is one huge conch we found on Treasure Island.
We're headed to Treasure Island in a month - never been there, though. Is it nice? I worry about there not being much to do, though I know Clearwater/Tampa is really close. And about the shells - are there lots of shells to be found? We usually go to Daytona and if you know anything about Daytona, shells are NOT to be found there.

And BTW, I am SOOO excited to be heading back to Florida - I don't care where it is! Maybe someday we'll make the move...

Old 05-13-2009, 10:50 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,140,308 times
Quote:
This thread is for those who moved to Florida and like it there.

August 1991

Where are you located?
Sarasota

Nothing like driving to work along the gulf of Mexico & working next to the beach! There's always something going on in SRQ! My terrific friends! Siesta Key Beach & St. Armand's circle! Ft. Lauderdale! The crazy drivers! The Pelican's! Skipper's Smokehouse! I could go on 4ever

If you need to be employed, have $ saved up to carry you over if you're arriving sans job. Do not expect it to be any different than living where you currently are except hotter. Living in Florida is not like vacationing in Florida. If you can manage to stay over the two year mark & have gainful employment, you'll be fine.

Old 05-13-2009, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
If you need to be employed, have $ saved up to carry you over if you're arriving sans job. Do not expect it to be any different than living where you currently are except hotter. Living in Florida is not like vacationing in Florida. If you can manage to stay over the two year mark & have gainful employment, you'll be fine.

Won't need employment in Florida and we want to be in the heat.

It will be totally different then living here. We will actually have a life, get to go to ocean anytime we want, jet ski, scuba dive, fish, swim, boat and enjoy being outside and seeing the natural beauty year around.

Here we have Old Mans Cave and Lake Erie to go to. The Columbus Zoo is the the largest attraction in Ohio, what does that tell you.

I hope most people can get the chance to stay in Florida and enjoy it before leaving and not knowing just how many people I communicate with enjoy living in Florida. And like you said most of them were able to get past the change in their lives and are now far better off for staying.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:35 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
Quote:
My kids go crazy on the beach building sandcastles and playing with the others kids like your daughter, they make friends and start playing.

We also love to look for shells, we have found some amazing shells in Florida. One really, really nice shell we are proud to have found is one huge conch we found on Treasure Island. We also find many nice shells around the Venice Beach area.

Last year we took them down to Myrtle Beach to be a part of the worlds largest sandcastle building during the SunFun Festival in MB.

We also love Sanibel Island. Our fav is still Ana Maria and or Siesta Keys.

Just too many to mention. We like Sunset Beach Park just because it is quiet and small and you can relax and enjoy the area. Located up in Tarpon Springs. They have a nice playground on the way in that kids love to take time to play on.

And of course any beach in the panhandle is like being in heaven.

I now miss the beach even more and cannot wait to get down there so we can head over to the beach. We are waiting on a call on a couple houses hitting the market and we are coming down for a look and will not miss the chance to hit the beach for a few hours or so.
If you want LOTS of Conch shells, go down to the keys and find a restaurant that serves Conch. They don't have to destroy the shell to get the animal out, they make a small cut on the shell to release the animal and they make all kinds of things with it. You can get MANY of them this way. In fact people from the Keys are called Conchs.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Js81 View Post
We're headed to Treasure Island in a month - never been there, though. Is it nice? I worry about there not being much to do, though I know Clearwater/Tampa is really close. And about the shells - are there lots of shells to be found? We usually go to Daytona and if you know anything about Daytona, shells are NOT to be found there.

And BTW, I am SOOO excited to be heading back to Florida - I don't care where it is! Maybe someday we'll make the move...
Treasure Island is nice you need to stay in a newer hotel if you are going there for vacation. Some of the older hotels are run down a bit.

Best thing you have going is St Pete and Clearwater Beaches are close by also.

If you get a chance make sure you take a morning and run down to Anna Maria Island just over the bridge from you. You will be very glad you did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida