Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you like Florida's climate overall?
Yes 88 57.14%
NO, way too hot & humid! 64 41.56%
Not sure 2 1.30%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 06:16 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,635,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by History Rules View Post
Expect hot and muggy weather today -- OrlandoSentinel.com (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/weather/orl-bk-orlando-weather-061609,0,86450.story - broken link)

This is mid-June folks, day after day of being holed up in your home because going outside is unbearable. There is never a break, not a second, not a minute.
Please speak of something you know.

The majority if people do not spend day after day holed up in their home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 06:31 AM

275 posts, read 793,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Please speak of something you know.

The majority if people do not spend day after day holed up in their home.
I find it interesting that a real estate agent is challenging the statement made that people spend day after day holed up in their homes. Not wanting to scare potential clients away from Florida I guess. Perhaps Mr. Peterson is correct. The majority don't spend day after day in their homes. However, after living here 30 years, I can honestly say that the majority I know spend their days either in their homes, or shopping malls, or place of employment or anyplace that is air conditioned. It is simply not accurate to imply that the majority of people are outdoors enjoying life during the middle of the day for the 6 months of the year that the weather is 90° or higher. And I am speaking of something that I know. I am certainly not a fan of Florida from May-Nov. Never have been, never will be. If it wasn't for my job, I wouldn't be here writing this reply. However, retirement is not far off at all and there is a whole 'nother country out there.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:50 AM

33 posts, read 157,498 times
This has been a fun post to read while having this mornings coffee! The answer to the question for me is that I like or should I say love Florida's Climate over all. This question reminds me of the saying "the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence". 15 years ago I would have answered this question differently though I'm sure. If you have to work outside in this climate is would be very oppressive, just as it is in the north during the winter months. The weather here fits my lifestyle just fine. Yes, very hot and humid in the summer I go to the beach, good book in hand and the ocean to take a dip in when the heat gets to ya. Yes rain in the afternoon its time to belly up to the bar and have a cold one with the fans blowing a cool breeze from the A/C. Up north there is nothing like coming in from the cold in front of a roaring fire place. We have the freedom to go as we please here in America and can enjoy the best of both worlds if we so choose. For me not owning a snow shovel is comforting thought and when the hurricanes threaten I get out of Dodge. Life is full of choices and you have to weight the good with the bad. My 2 cents! Time to go to the Beach!

Old 06-16-2009, 06:55 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,635,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlandoyankee View Post
I find it interesting that a real estate agent is challenging the statement made that people spend day after day holed up in their homes. Not wanting to scare potential clients away from Florida I guess. Perhaps Mr. Peterson is correct. The majority don't spend day after day in their homes. However, after living here 30 years, I can honestly say that the majority I know spend their days either in their homes, or shopping malls, or place of employment or anyplace that is air conditioned. It is simply not accurate to imply that the majority of people are outdoors enjoying life during the middle of the day for the 6 months of the year that the weather is 90° or higher. And I am speaking of something that I know. I am certainly not a fan of Florida from May-Nov. Never have been, never will be. If it wasn't for my job, I wouldn't be here writing this reply. However, retirement is not far off at all and there is a whole 'nother country out there.
Once again someone uses the fact that I am a Realtor to support their argument. Do you really think that by posting on here I am bring a huge influx of people to Florida?

I guess all the people I saw out on the Homossasa River 2 weekends ago were holed up in their house. The mass of people at the Cobia tournament last week must have been an illusion.

If you were speaking of something you knew you would know that the temp is not 90 or higher 6 months of the year. In Orlando you have 4 months where the avg daytime high is 90-92. Being this is an average there must be many days where it is below 90 in those months. You have 3 months where the daytime high averages 83-88 and 5 months that the average is in the 70's.

Obviously you do not like the weather but for some reason you chose to spend the last 30 years here. I for one will move if I don't like an area. Some people may not be able to move right away but I would think there would have been some time in that 30 years when you could have.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:00 AM

If one was close enough to go to the beach, then things are a bit more tolerable. However, for those of us who inhabit this state inland, there's not much you can do to escape the relentless hot/humid weather. Go bike riding? Not after 10AM. Take the dog to the park and let it run around a bit? Ditto. You get the picture. Yes, life is full of choices. One doesn't have to live here or stay here. The perfect weather is in parts of Southern California near the coast. However, that area has other obvious problems. Life is indeed full of choices with good and bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanwilder View Post
This has been a fun post to read while having this mornings coffee! The answer to the question for me is that I like or should I say love Florida's Climate over all. This question reminds me of the saying "the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence". 15 years ago I would have answered this question differently though I'm sure. If you have to work outside in this climate is would be very oppressive, just as it is in the north during the winter months. The weather here fits my lifestyle just fine. Yes, very hot and humid in the summer I go to the beach, good book in hand and the ocean to take a dip in when the heat gets to ya. Yes rain in the afternoon its time to belly up to the bar and have a cold one with the fans blowing a cool breeze from the A/C. Up north there is nothing like coming in from the cold in front of a roaring fire place. We have the freedom to go as we please here in America and can enjoy the best of both worlds if we so choose. For me not owning a snow shovel is comforting thought and when the hurricanes threaten I get out of Dodge. Life is full of choices and you have to weight the good with the bad. My 2 cents! Time to go to the Beach!

Old 06-16-2009, 07:13 AM

I'm not sure, nor do I care if you bring a "huge influx". However, it is your personal interest not to criticize the area that you do business in. Why even bother to list your profession on this site? And I will admit that living on/near the coast is a bit more tolerable than living inland. Have you ever lived in interior Florida for any substantial period of time? Sure, you can quote all the weather statistics all you want. However, 90° in April for half the month still sucks. And you state that for an average month, there must be days where it is below 90°. However, there are also days where the average temperature is 3-5° above the average. And 95° is a lot more brutal than 91°.

Yep, I'm sure I could have escaped if I wanted to. However, funny things happen when you get married to someone that has deep roots to the state (large family living in FL), raise kids and then all of a sudden have too much time in a job (pension) to throw it away. Retirement is my escape plan. Enjoy the weather here. Sounds like you do. I'm not trying to slam you or get into a p*$$ing contest with you. I have other things to do.

Quote:
Once again someone uses the fact that I am a Realtor to support their argument. Do you really think that by posting on here I am bring a huge influx of people to Florida?

I guess all the people I saw out on the Homossasa River 2 weekends ago were holed up in their house. The mass of people at the Cobia tournament last week must have been an illusion.

If you were speaking of something you knew you would know that the temp is not 90 or higher 6 months of the year. In Orlando you have 4 months where the avg daytime high is 90-92. Being this is an average there must be many days where it is below 90 in those months. You have 3 months where the daytime high averages 83-88 and 5 months that the average is in the 70's.

Obviously you do not like the weather but for some reason you chose to spend the last 30 years here. I for one will move if I don't like an area. Some people may not be able to move right away but I would think there would have been some time in that 30 years when you could have.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:14 AM

258 posts, read 325,231 times
Quote:
Please explain how to gloss over weather and how to do it to make a sale.

Do buyers float around in a climate controlled bubble until they buy a house?

Quite a few days this month had highs of 81 or 82 with most of those days in the 70's for most of the day and mid to low 60's at night. If you need Ac in that weather then, no, Florida is not for you.

Colossal mistake? Most projections show Florida overtaking NY in population by 2020. Seems to me that many more like it here than you think and do not look at it as a colossal mistake.
Actually last year more people left Florida than moved in from the United States, and that is a fact. People are totally over Florida. Population did grow but not from other parts of US, from 3rd World countries, also your climate figures are distortions. If the high was 81 or 82 it rained the entire day. Thre are no nights in the low 60's in June in Florida and keep in mind the low temperature is for one second at about 5:50 AM, at first light the temperature goes up eight to ten degrees above that and by the time you go to your car to leave for work the temperature is closer to the days high than the days low with oppressive humididty. Those are some things I know from living there that you neglect to tell.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:31 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,395,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by History Rules View Post
Actually last year more people left Florida than moved in from the United States, and that is a fact. People are totally over Florida.
People who quote this statistic, especially those living in the "northeast" seem to be completely oblivious to two essential truths:

1) People (Americans) have been bleeding out of the Northeast for years and years and years, without much of a problem, and

2) People who WANT to come to Florida are often STUCK where they are due to the problems they face in their OWN states with respect to selling their homes, etc.

The huge runup in population during the boom years was caused by people coming in to find jobs in construction and real estate. Like a gold rush town in California or oil boom town in Texas.

Yet people act like it's unprecedented or SURPRISING that people left, when many were just here for the quick buck to begin with! The biggest influx of Americans into a place like Broward County, however, continues to be AMERICANS leaving Brooklyn. I guess it IS true what they say about the IQ of the average American though...... or at least "critical thinking skills." (Remarkably, those same people are often the ones who complain they can't get or hold a job!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by History Rules
Population did grow but not from other parts of US, from 3rd World countries, also your climate figures are distortions. If the high was 81 or 82 it rained the entire day. Thre are no nights in the low 60's in June in Florida and keep in mind the low temperature is for one second at about 5:50 AM, at first light the temperature goes up eight to ten degrees above that and by the time you go to your car to leave for work the temperature is closer to the days high than the days low with oppressive humididty. Those are some things I know from living there that you neglect to tell.
Average temperatures where I live:

HI LO

Jan 74° - 55°
Feb 75° - 56°
Mar 78° - 61°
Apr 82° - 64°
May 85° - 68°
Jun 88° - 74°
Jul 88° - 74°
Aug 90° - 75°
Sep 88° - 74°
Oct 84° - 70°
Nov 80° - 64°
Dec 76° - 58°

Avg. Precip. (Jan - Dec) 2.8 in 2.7 in 3.7 in 2.9 in 6.1 in 8.1 in 6.1 in 6.0 in 8.5 in 6.6 in 4.7 in 2.5 in

There are billions of people who live on this earth in a lot hotter locales. Do I sometimes wish it was a bit cooler? Yes. Would I consider myself a complete idiot if I moved to Florida and then whined incessantly that it was "HOT"?!

Yes.

I wonder if people on the Montana, Maine, or Alaska forums have the same problem we do with people complaining about how cold it is? Really, what's the point?

Old 06-16-2009, 07:35 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
lol lows in the 60s? I agree with the other posters saying this is WAY distorted and misleading. If you live in inland FL during the summer ... you will NEVER experience weather that feels like anything under 80 from june-september unless you are up from 1am-6am in the morning

If it ever DOES hit in the 60s, it is usually like 68 (w/ 95% humidity) and it hits it from about 5-6 in the morning, then JUMPS way back up. Those lows are VERY misleading. If anybody doesn't believe me, just go to weatherunderground and pull up the hour by hour...

For any temp you see here in the summer, add AT LEAST 7-10 degrees, sometimes more in for what it feels like compared to wherever else you are. The heat in FL is different. Do not let the people on here fool you... 90 in chicago or nyc is NOT 90 in FL... And well, I just spent my last 4 summers living in Chicago...and have lived about 20 years of my life in FL, there is absolutely no comparison in the type of weather. If they want you to buy a vacation home here in the winter... SURE! It would probably be great. If they are luring you in for all year round good weather, hahahahaha, I feel sorry for you.

Like I posted earlier, temp here Friday will be 99-101 depending on accuweather/weather channel... with a heat index of 113.

AccuWeather.com - Tallahassee 5 Day Weather Forecast: FL (http://www.accuweather.com/us/fl/tallahassee/32303/forecast.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=0&zipChg =1&metric=0 - broken link)

read em and weep.

Last edited by grapico; 06-16-2009 at 07:44 AM..

Old 06-16-2009, 07:42 AM

258 posts, read 325,231 times
Exactamundo

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
lol lows in the 60s? I agree with the other posters saying this is way distorted and misleading. If you live in inland fl during the summer ... You will never experience weather that feels like anything under 80 from june-september unless you are up from 1am-6am in the morning

if it ever does hit in the 60s, it is usually like 68 (w/ 95% humidity) and it hits it from about 5-6 in the morning, then jumps way back up.

For any temp you see here in the summer, add at least 7-10 degrees, sometimes more in for what it feels like compared to wherever else you are. The heat in fl is different. Do not let the people on here fool you... 90 in chicago or nyc is not 90 in fl... And well, i just spent my last 4 summers living in chicago...and have lived about 20 years of my life in fl, there is absolutely no comparison in the type of weather. If they want you to buy a vacation home here in the winter... Sure! It would probably be great. If they are luring you in for all year round good weather, hahahahaha, i feel sorry for you.

Like i posted earlier, temp here friday will be 99-101 depending on accuweather/weather channel... With a heat index of 113.

accuweather.com - tallahassee 5 day weather forecast: Fl (http://www.accuweather.com/us/fl/tallahassee/32303/forecast.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=0&zipchg =1&metric=0 - broken link)

read em and weep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida