Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 01:31 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Barley sugar lollipops in odd shapes and lovely colors.

Bread and butter, room temperature.
I LOVED those as a kid. We got them at Christmas.

I looked them up on the Internet and found a place that sold them, but they weren't the same taste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 06:20 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,530,502 times
Everything my grandmother & aunts cooked when we visited them in farm country. They still grew their own food. My parents were not nice people & my mother never cooked, so this was nurturing for me.

I remember fried chicken, rhubarb pie, kugen with different kinds of fresh fruit on top, home-canned jams & preserves, especially apple butter, & homemade caramel malts. I remember wishing that my parents would just leave me there so my aunt, who married late & had no kids, would adopt me.

Old 01-09-2018, 11:55 AM

4,481 posts, read 3,641,477 times
My maternal grandmother's homemade biscuits and syrup, which I looked forward to every Sunday morning along with her black-pepper bacon and scrambled egg cups. She made many delicious gumbos but I especially looked forward to her seafood gumbo on Friday nights.

She always made an iced lemon pound cake for my birthday and on the rare occasions I bake one now, I always spend at least 15 minutes daydreaming about the good times when she was alive. I miss her so much.

Old 01-09-2018, 01:45 PM

666 posts, read 513,151 times
Peel and eat shrimp on ice.

The reason why is that as a kid, I used to get taken to a restaurant with an all you can eat salad bar. At the end of the line was a huge bowl of shrimp on ice. Me and my father would laugh ourselves silly watching the same set of customers keep going back to that same bowl over and over again. They would try sneaking back pretending like it was their first time but it was obvious that it was their third or fourth time.

Old 01-09-2018, 01:54 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastFlatbush View Post
Peel and eat shrimp on ice.

The reason why is that as a kid, I used to get taken to a restaurant with an all you can eat salad bar. At the end of the line was a huge bowl of shrimp on ice. Me and my father would laugh ourselves silly watching the same set of customers keep going back to that same bowl over and over again. They would try sneaking back pretending like it was their first time but it was obvious that it was their third or fourth time.
I remember a restaurant like that and they brought "make your own" sundaes to the table for dessert. I think it was Cooky's Steak House. OMG they had the best cabbage soup and also some sweet bread at the salad bar, maybe banana.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:30 PM

666 posts, read 513,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I remember a restaurant like that and they brought "make your own" sundaes to the table for dessert. I think it was Cooky's Steak House. OMG they had the best cabbage soup and also some sweet bread at the salad bar, maybe banana.
That places sounds really cool. They don't make family style restaurants like that anymore, especially steak houses.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:44 PM

23,543 posts, read 24,041,250 times
My father also cooked up a great Spaghetti Bolognese sauce. On some Saturday’s when he did not have to work, he would cook up a pot of his Spaghetti Bolognese with ground beef and all of his spices. We’d smell the aroma in the house and knew that we would be having a feast that day for lunch or dinner. He’d serve it with garlic bread, cold cuts, and salad. Great memories from the 70’s and 80’s.

Old 01-11-2018, 12:32 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
Bagna cauda at the family party on New Year's Day. Haven't had it in decades.
My Italian in-laws didn't make it. Well, my father-in-law was Polish, and Italian mother-in-law didn't really like fish. I read about it in Bon Appétit magazine decades ago and made it, but haven't in years. It's a family or party food. There's not much of that going on.

Old 01-11-2018, 04:31 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastFlatbush View Post
That places sounds really cool. They don't make family style restaurants like that anymore, especially steak houses.
I'm in the south now and there are still family style restaurants. There are steak houses but nothing like Sizzler used to be.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:42 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,042,790 times
My Aunt Tessie's in Brooklyn who made the best stuffed artichokes. She was a great cook. Also my dad's Aunt Katie, also in Brooklyn, who always made sfinges, think zeppoles with raisins and some ricotta in the batter.

Some years later I had a fishing buddy who had an older aunt who lived in Brooklyn and we stopped by one day as he had to help her out. My relatives had either passed away or had moved out of Brooklyn decades before. When I walked into her brownstone, which was a multi family residence, the memories came wafting over me. It's amazing how it smelled almost exactly the way I remember my relative's places smelled. The say the sense of smell is the strongest stirrer of memories.

Last edited by ralphfr; 01-11-2018 at 08:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink