Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2008, 10:05 AM

1,969 posts, read 5,959,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Nic the most important thing you're doing is everyone sitting at the dinner table and sharing their day-the food at times like that is secondary. Cherish these years with your kids-it goes very fast.

Oh gosh - don't remind me ! I feel like I blinked and now my daughter is 14!
When I took her out for bra's I just kept thinking to myself - OMG - when did that happen? LOL

So - any ideas on what I can do with the steak tonite...just a london broil type looking piece.....

Old 01-28-2008, 10:21 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,856,986 times
Is it too cold to grill? I love london broil on the grill. Maybe make a marinade of soy sauce, ground ginger, honey, garlic powder-put meat in and leave room temp about 1/2 hr. Or you could broil it.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:29 AM

48,149 posts, read 22,013,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic529 View Post
Thanks cyn!

I can't say I particularly enjoy cooking because I don't - but I need to lose weight and the kraft mac n cheese just ain't good for that lol. Hubby has been cooking for the last several years, but I have to say grilled chicken and steak - have gotten pretty boring. Yes, we would occasionally throw in a ravioli dinner, but still...our menu has been really limited. Since my daughter has been so busy with cheerleading and such family time has really gotten away from us... I don't want to lose it. So I am making the effort (hoping not to kill anyone in process) to try to cook. We all sit down at the table together and talk about our days. Which is what we have always done, but the limited menu has made it more challenging since no one really wants to be there. lol.

I appreciate everyone's encouragement! I look forward to new ideas and recipes that we may enjoy.
Nic:

There are some really simple basic recipes that are very good and can make you a legend in your own kitchen.

There is a dish called American chop suey in New England. It has nothing to do with Chinese Chop Suey!!!

Boil water in large pot, add salt and box of elbow macaroni. Cook till done (see package direction for time) and drain.

While water is coming to a boil, cut up a large onion and a large green pepper (I hope you family likes green pepper and onion) Put them in a fry pan with some oil and start to saute (fry) medium heat, don't burn em. Add about a pound or a little more good hamburg. Break it up as it fries, don't need to scramble it into tiny pieces--leave some fork size clumps.

Season with salt (or garlic salt of lowery's season salt or celery salt) and pepper. When done drain off the fat (can use a colander) and then add a large can of diced tomatoes (juice and all) and a small can of tomato paste.

Mix it up and then add the sauce to the drained macaroni in the big pot. Reheat it and let it set a bit and then serve. (Parmagian cheese is good but not traditional for this. Kids love it. I bet your DH will to! Generations of New England families can't be wrong! (If you have left over and need to reheat the next day, be careful you don't scorth it on the bottom--maybe use you micro wave to reheat it. (I need to look up how to spell scorth!)

This is cooking 101.00. Simple, tried and true and delicious. (unfortunately it isn't a slimming recipe)

Another New England pot luck favorite is "Chinese Pie" again nothing to do with Chinese food. it is a casserole made with corn, hamburg and onions and covered with a layer of mashed potato and baked as a casserole. It is a favorite of the family and for church and PTA pot lucks. I will give you instructions at a later date if you want it. You Can Cook! "Si Se Pueda"
Yes, We Can!

Last edited by elston; 01-28-2008 at 11:58 AM..

Old 01-28-2008, 12:15 PM

1,969 posts, read 5,959,712 times
Thanks for the recipe's Elston!

I'll take them and see if I can tweek them a bit for my family - don't like onions and pepper lol. I shouldn't laugh really, because I don't either. I also can't stand corn. It actually makes me nauseas. I know - we are picky! This is why I haven't tackled anything until now, lol.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:22 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,017,268 times
Just doing the leftover split pea soup from yesterday, whats left of it, that is..... am going to make manicotti tomorrow, I think.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:30 PM

48,149 posts, read 22,013,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic529 View Post
Thanks for the recipe's Elston!

I'll take them and see if I can tweek them a bit for my family - don't like onions and pepper lol. I shouldn't laugh really, because I don't either. I also can't stand corn. It actually makes me nauseas. I know - we are picky! This is why I haven't tackled anything until now, lol.
Well those recipes won't work for you! You have to admit, I tried.

I can't imagine cooking without using onions and hamburg LOL It is the start of many great recipes...from spagetti sauce to LOL stuffed peppers and stuffed cabbage and on and on and on. I just love the smell of hamburg and onions frying! You would be a tough crowd to cook for, and I thought I could cook for almost anyone.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:37 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,856,986 times
Elston-me neither-onions are a staple. I make aa Amer Chop Suey with stewed or diced tomatoes and cream of tomato soup. My kids love it-it as the meal they would want for their birthday dinners.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Well those recipes won't work for you! You have to admit, I tried.

I can't imagine cooking without using onions and hamburg LOL It is the start of many great recipes...from spagetti sauce to LOL stuffed peppers and stuffed cabbage and on and on and on. I just love the smell of hamburg and onions frying! You would be a tough crowd to cook for, and I thought I could cook for almost anyone.
I cant imagine cooking without those, either. Not to mention garlic, those are staples to me, always in the pantry. I just mentally catalogued the dishes I can make from that foundation, and I am up over a dozen.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:41 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,946,624 times
Manicotti sounds good for later in the week kshe95girl .... or maybe stuffed shells. I make Giada's turkey and artichokes stuffed shells and they are devine

Old 01-28-2008, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
Manicotti sounds good for later in the week kshe95girl .... or maybe stuffed shells. I make Giada's turkey and artichokes stuffed shells and they are devine
mmmmmmmm, you are evil! DH would swoon with joy, gotta go look at the recipe......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink