Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2008, 02:41 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,316,787 times

Advertisements

That's what they keep telling me nic...and so far so good. Listen to these people here, they definitely know how to cook!! They had to learn somehow and I'm guessing it was often times like you and I are doing it now!! Just don't let failure get you down like it has me---keep trying!! Thanks to everyone here that's what I'm learning!

Old 01-27-2008, 02:51 PM

48,145 posts, read 22,010,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic529 View Post
I will try the meatloaf again. Thanks for the recipe Lisa. I used a meatloaf mix. Beef, Pork, and Veal. Then I used a package of Italian seasoned stouffers stuffing, an egg, and the juice from french onion soup. I think it was the soup that made it too moist. Because other then that it was good. I also used the wrong kind of gravy. I wanted to get brown gravy, but they didn't have any, so I bought Au Jus. I will tweek it just a little, and try again! If at first you don't suceed.......
I think it was the juice from onion soup too. If someone had told you to use onion soup they must have meant the dry package--tho a whole pack might be too strong. The amount of liquid is usually small. Also more dry ingredient to bind it with the egg might have made a firmer meatloaf.

I do love meatloaf and make it differently each time. This last week I used saltine crumbs and a little gelatin sprinkled over the liquids and it added a nice firm texture (the way the veal would do---I don't eat veal---like it but it is just to sad.

Old 01-27-2008, 02:56 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,855,297 times
Right Elston-think Nic may have used liquid soup rather than Lipton packets. Isn't it funny how meatloaf comes out different all the time.

I mix ketchup, dijon, worstershire, horseradish, eggs (2), lipton's onion soup packet, pepper,garlic powder, parsley; add 2 lbs chop beef and oatmeal. (I never measure anything!). Mix it up and let sit in refrig a few hours. I lightly score the top of loaf, salt/pepper, cook 350 for 1 hr and let sit about 15 min.

Old 01-27-2008, 03:18 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,012,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic529 View Post
I will try the meatloaf again. Thanks for the recipe Lisa. I used a meatloaf mix. Beef, Pork, and Veal. Then I used a package of Italian seasoned stouffers stuffing, an egg, and the juice from french onion soup. I think it was the soup that made it too moist. Because other then that it was good. I also used the wrong kind of gravy. I wanted to get brown gravy, but they didn't have any, so I bought Au Jus. I will tweek it just a little, and try again! If at first you don't suceed.......
Thats right! I had a few disasters early on, learned by observing what i did wrong, and talking to folks I knew were good cooks.

Old 01-27-2008, 04:09 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,316,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I think it was the juice from onion soup too. If someone had told you to use onion soup they must have meant the dry package--tho a whole pack might be too strong. The amount of liquid is usually small. Also more dry ingredient to bind it with the egg might have made a firmer meatloaf.

I do love meatloaf and make it differently each time. This last week I used saltine crumbs and a little gelatin sprinkled over the liquids and it added a nice firm texture (the way the veal would do---I don't eat veal---like it but it is just to sad.
I am Soooo glad I'm not alone about my thinking regarding veal---I too think it way to sad to eat. I have a big problem eating meat anyhow--but I do and love it for the most part...I just have to draw the line somewhere! But, I don't have any bad feelings for others who enjoy veal--I just can't!!

Old 01-27-2008, 05:15 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,946,128 times
Here's a recipe for the coconut ginger rice:

Ingredients

1 (14-ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
2 1/4 cups water (or you can do half chicken/vegetable stock)
2 cups jasmine or Basmati rice
3 or 4 tablespoons of fresh grated ginger
Garnish: chopped fresh scallion

Preparation

Combine coconut milk and 2 1/4 cups water/stock in a heavy saucepan. Stir in rice and ginger. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat. Fluff with a fork; cover and let stand 5 minutes. Remove ginger before serving. Garnish, if desired.

Yield 4 to 6 servings

Old 01-27-2008, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
Here's a recipe for the coconut ginger rice:

Ingredients

1 (14-ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
2 1/4 cups water (or you can do half chicken/vegetable stock)
2 cups jasmine or Basmati rice
3 or 4 tablespoons of fresh grated ginger
Garnish: chopped fresh scallion

Preparation

Combine coconut milk and 2 1/4 cups water/stock in a heavy saucepan. Stir in rice and ginger. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat. Fluff with a fork; cover and let stand 5 minutes. Remove ginger before serving. Garnish, if desired.

Yield 4 to 6 servings
mmmmmmm! I love to serve that with chicken satay and green papaya salad.... now ya got me thinking about Thai, and green papayas are out of season.

Old 01-27-2008, 05:39 PM

302 posts, read 922,331 times
Gosh, you all are making me wish that I had any sort of cooking talent!

But no...I'm quite a poor cook.

Old 01-27-2008, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneyedgurl View Post
Gosh, you all are making me wish that I had any sort of cooking talent!

But no...I'm quite a poor cook.
I didnt wake up one day as a good cook, i just decided that i wanted to be able to make the stuff i enjoyed eating in restaurants, and went from there.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:26 AM

1,969 posts, read 5,959,265 times
Thanks everyone! I'd give you all more reps but I must spread some around first lol.

I will make it again without the soup - yes it was liquid - lol you guys are good!

Tonight we're having london broil with egg noodles. Simple....hubby will make it. I need a break lol. I don't know how to make it anyway. lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink