Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2008, 04:27 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,774,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
I've been in Cape Coral for 15+ years. It was a nice place to live and do business in when I first got here. Wasnt much to do, but that gradually changed and got better over the years. Since the foreclosure crisis came about in the last year or so, it has simply become a festering sh^#hole. The tax base is drying up because of the foreclosures, so the city has taken to raising rates on everything to make up the difference. The business licenses, the occupational licenses, and now down to roaming "wolf packs" of cops harrassing the citizenry with chicken s#^% tickets for broken tail light lenses, and lost tags on parked trailers. Anything they can shake a few hundred bucks out of someone for. Fewer and fewer places you can go where they still speak, or understand english. I had hoped to escape this hellhole this spring, but the fuel prices and a lousy business environment have made me hostage to this cesspool for a while longer. Maybe(I'm praying)I'll get out of here next spring.
Crime is spiraling upward, traffic is gridlocked, city government has their heads so far up their asses it's back on their shoulders again. Yes, no place is perfect, but many,many, MANY places are better than this hole. My .02, look elsewhere.
Sounds like someones business failed... But I do see some of your points. I would rather be here than Miami or Orlando though....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 06:59 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,907,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncoast Guy View Post
My "point" is that when somebody gave you a red mark because they said that you knew nothing about the city or whatever they said, you got mad because you knew Cape Coral inside out, but you have never lived there. Maybe you've visited, but you haven't lived there. I have, my family does, and many people on this forum do live in Cape Coral. We know Cape Coral and a lot of us like the town. If you haven't lived there, if you only visited it, you don't truly know the town. I think that, for some reason, you have a personal grudge against the city and that's why to speak neg. about it.
I just print the facts. If you find something I have said to be wrong let me know. I have been in Lee County all my life, Sorry if I don't have the "This is my block mentality". I find the only visited statement funny. The negatively is from the source.

Last edited by firemed; 04-07-2008 at 07:15 PM..

Old 04-09-2008, 10:05 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,730,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoFLigo View Post
Sounds like someones business failed... But I do see some of your points. I would rather be here than Miami or Orlando though....
Nope, business not failed, I've been in business for over 13 years here. My clientele is very well healed, and they're not the ones that are going to go away, unless the city government drives them off also. I can stay in business as long as I want, as there's next to nothing for competition. Why am I suddenly being harrassed by cops? Not saying I'm being singled out, it's a trend thats going strong for the last couple of months now. I hear it from many other adults, and see it as well. I understand that HS kids get harrassed all the time, why suddenly are law abiding citizens getting pulled over and harrassed?(Don't flame me, I'm not saying HS kids are all criminals) A year ago, a city inspector was crying to me about how they're all getting laid off because of the downturn in building permits. With properties being foreclosed, the tax base dropping, and people leaving this hell hole, they know the cop budget is due to hit the chopping block soon. It's all about the $$$$, it has always been about the $$$$. They cant pick (as many) pockets of the tax payers anymore so they'll just get it another way.
Anyone else notice the spate of new STOP signs going in around downtown? And the cops hiding in the bushes near everyone of them? STOP signs, a great money maker for them I'm sure. Probably made back their investment on installation back in the first three days........(And NO, I havent been pulled over for violating a STOP sign) All the years the population was on the rise, they never needed the STOP signs then, now the population is swinging the other way, think about it. Nothing but money grubbing S.O.B.'s in this town, and pretty much the whole county in general.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:26 AM

I have noticed a lot more speed traps around, and the good old motorcycle cops who hide all over. I see them on my part of Santa Barbara a lot more than I ever have. I'm not saying it's great here, I see alot of things going downhill. I just would rather be here than some other parts of FL. I think I made a mistake by coming back here to FL....

Old 04-09-2008, 12:04 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,909,323 times
Quote:
I think I made a mistake by coming back here to FL....
What exactly do you like/desire in a place? I saw that you used to live in Orlando. Orlando and Cape Coral rank near dead last as to where I would want to be in Florida in my personal opinion. Cape Coral last because Lee County is in deep doo doo with the real estate crash and the fact that Cape Coral literally has nothing to do or anything distinguishing about it, and Orlando because, well, transient, maddening traffic, too far inland to even feel like you are in FL, etc... I went through a serious narrowing-down process when I decided Weston/Ft. Lauderdale area was right for me.

Even Miami at least has some spice to it. I don't know, if I am going to live in Florida, I just think the Ft. Myers and Orlando area are some of the worst choices (IMO) unless you are retiring to the former. Jacksonville is more affordable for your sprawl, Tampa has some history to it, St. Petersburg has some culture and history too, WPB area has that glitzy flashy South Florida thing going on (at least it's unique), Gainesville and Tallahassee are true Southern college towns, Ft. Lauderdale area is rich in diversity and has an open minded population with a forward thinking attitude, and even Miami at least has that tasty Latin flavor to it to distinguish it. What does Cape Coral have to distinguish itself? The housing isn't particularly inexpensive (yet), the physical appearance is maddeningly bland, the traffic situation isn't very good, the retirees around there seem to be particularly grumpy, the economy is in a serious slump that exceeds other parts of Florida, and I personally just don't see any reason to live there. I'm not insulting your choice, but if I were coming back to FL, Cape Coral would be at the very bottom of my list.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 04-09-2008 at 12:18 PM..

Old 04-09-2008, 05:33 PM

172 posts, read 945,918 times
I'm sorry you're starting to regret your decision, BacktoFLigo. That sucks that you aren't doing as well as hoped down here. Are you still having problems with your job search or is just everything?

I noticed more stop signs in the Cape but I don't think they're all speed traps. The new ones I've noticed have been along SE 47th Terrace, which needed them. Besides, Cape cops are notorious for pulling people over, especially for minor traffic infractions. It's their thing. In fact, I've seen Cape cops LESS along Del Prado than in previous years.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:06 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Looking at the subject of the this very long thread, I can only say that everyone has different tastes. Some people enjoy living in a highrise in New York and others enjoy living in the wilderness in a log cabin. Cape Coral is not exciting, but some people simply like making a few close friends and joining a church or synagogue. I know people who love to fish and find Cape Coral centrally located.

Crime is on the rise everywhere, but the Cape has a long way to go before catching up with the violence in Jacksonville or Miami. For me, most of the Cape is too inconvenient and I would feel trapped. Many people don't realize how huge it is. I mean, it only has a population of about 150,000 yet it's the second largest city in Florida. I believe it will continue to grow once the housing slump and recession has passed, but with growth comes other problems. I also like thick, mature vegetation and being a few minutes from the Gulf of Mexico. That said, the Cape is much more affordable than many areas. Unless I win the lottery, there will always be trade-offs, so moving to Cape Coral in the future is not completely out of the picture for me since I don't ever think the areas I prefer will be in my price range..another reason I've been considering SC.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:27 PM

[quote=whippersnapper;3408996]I'm sorry you're starting to regret your decision, BacktoFLigo. That sucks that you aren't doing as well as hoped down here. Are you still having problems with your job search or is just everything? quote]

Ya, I'm just in a rut right now. We rent a nice house on a good street. Jobs are few and far between. I send resumes in, but there are too many people to compete with. I was pretty secure up north. I whimped out on the winter weather though.

I think I have a great opportunity to work at my Step fathers new restaurant in fort myers though. I'm up for a new career anyways. I'll feel better once this happens.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:28 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times
[quote=BacktoFLigo;3409508]
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper View Post
I'm sorry you're starting to regret your decision, BacktoFLigo. That sucks that you aren't doing as well as hoped down here. Are you still having problems with your job search or is just everything? quote]

Ya, I'm just in a rut right now. We rent a nice house on a good street. Jobs are few and far between. I send resumes in, but there are too many people to compete with. I was pretty secure up north. I whimped out on the winter weather though.

I think I have a great opportunity to work at my Step fathers new restaurant in fort myers though. I'm up for a new career anyways. I'll feel better once this happens.
Thing is, winter does pass & spring does arrive. We've had mid60s & sun for several days now. Mind you, 40s are in the forecast for Mon & Tues, though

Weather doesn't solve the reality of economics. Most who do make the move due to weather are retiring or snowbirding. Much different if you don't have to provide for a family or are not in a position to retire.

The insecurity of not having employment has to be daunting, but you made the decision, ya know? Warmer weather doesn't pay the bills.

I am all too familiar with Northampton as we have family there & were hoping to buy in Hadley. Unfortunately, COL in that area is not reasonable. Mount Holyoke is breathtaking in the fall.

Either way, hope you find something soon & that you can get on with life in CC & enjoy it.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:37 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,730,927 times
Quote:
I think I made a mistake by coming back here to FL....

A negative as I am on Cape Coral, I have to agree that there are far worse places to be in FL. And far worse places to be outside of FL. I'm working on my plan to leave this place, I'm not ready yet, but I will be. You made a plan to come to this place. So work your plan, and in due time you will either move on, or find happiness here.
Someone once told me..There is no such thing as a wrong decision, and there is no such thing as a right decision, there's ONLY how YOU live with the decision, once it has been made.
As much of a hole as this place is, there is plenty of opportunity if you look for it. Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area