Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 11:29 PM

28 posts, read 190,061 times

Advertisements

Poop at work to save on toilet paper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 05:29 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,251,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I only buy ice cream from the freezer aisles..nothing else. I have saved so much money from not buying any of that pre-processed, pre-cooked food. No more frozen vegetables either..I buy fresh and what is on sale and in season (and USA only).

Takes a bit longer but I cook more on the weekends and re-heat during the week.
I buy the cheap dollar frozen pizzas sometimes. Then I add my own stuff and bake them. It works best with the cheeze types. Ditto the icecream, though if I buy ice cream its the good stuff that costs more when its on sale. I'd rather have icecream that I really really like than a huge tub of the cheapest stuff which isn't satisfying.

If you live alone frozen vegies do save lots of money. Enough to add to a dish or for one serving are all you have to use. I do buy fresh but tend to use it in things I cook and then freeze in one/two meal batches.

I do buy the frozen and sealed fish. It will store for a long time as long as it stays frozen and is in single meal pouches. I think of it as I do my portioned meat bought fresh, cut up and sealed for a serving. I open the freezer and pick out what I want to cook or perhaps heat up from a large dish and am not stuck with days of the same stuff.

Actually I seldom buy ice cream. I make slushies out of it and yogurt works fine. and it is cheaper and keeps better.

Old 04-02-2009, 05:37 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,251,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDayAttaTime View Post
Thanks for the reminder. Guess I will go back over to the Food forum where they have lots of ideas for cheap meals.
If you have one day a week to cook something, buy the stuff you need for a potroast, meatloaf, or big cassarole. Make as large a dish as you can, time is the same. Get a seal a meal or vaccuum sealer. When the food is cooled off, seperate it into one meal pieces and put in the bags, then put them in the freezer and freeze them. Then vaccuum pack.

When you feel like some pot roast, later, all you have to do is open and reheat and it is good stuff.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:15 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,694,650 times
Wash your pants every 5-6 days.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:42 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,397,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Wash your pants every 5-6 days.

Why so much?

Old 08-12-2012, 02:46 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,397,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
If you have one day a week to cook something, buy the stuff you need for a potroast, meatloaf, or big cassarole. Make as large a dish as you can, time is the same. Get a seal a meal or vaccuum sealer. When the food is cooled off, seperate it into one meal pieces and put in the bags, then put them in the freezer and freeze them. Then vaccuum pack.

When you feel like some pot roast, later, all you have to do is open and reheat and it is good stuff.

Yeah, right! It all sounds so easy, but when I try that, I end up with a complete mess all over the kitchen,then I'm too tired to cook dinner so we go out!

Or, if I manage to do all that, when I go to thaw it out it all sticks to the stuff I froze it in. So, you let it thaw to remove the plastic, foil, whatever, and forget about it, or it doesn't thaw in time, or, the cat gets it, so, we end up eating out. Maybe cooking isn't my thing!

Old 06-16-2013, 09:13 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,694,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Why so much?
What would you suggest then?

Old 06-16-2013, 09:33 AM

1,201 posts, read 4,044,991 times
I dumped my home phone service (the most basic at $30/mo) and got a Google Voice number and a $40 Obi100 device. Now all my home phone calls are free in the US. Thanks to some folks on CD who gave me info on this! I now just have home dry loop DSL at $30/mo. It's been working out great. I also have a cheap Tracfone dumbphone cell phone (<$10/mo).

I have also limited most of my shopping to yard sales and thrift stores nowadays. I don't really need anything but I ride my bike (saves gas money) to neighborhood yard sales and sometimes I find neat things I can use for 50c or $1, and sometimes I find things I can resell for a profit too.

I have a Nexus 7 tablet (splurge) and I put the Kindle App on it. I subscribed to some websites (bookgorilla) that notify me every day of free and cheap ebooks, some new ebooks are free for a day or so at a time. I have collected over 100 free ebooks on my tablet so far. I don't even have a credit card attached to my amazon account, so I'm not tempted to spend money there. (If I want to buy on amazon I use my bf's account, which takes extra effort so I'd better be sure I want whatever I'm thinking of buying....)

Last edited by eofelis; 06-16-2013 at 09:44 AM..

Old 06-16-2013, 03:52 PM

524 posts, read 843,371 times
I love these posts-please keep them coming. The best way for me to save is to not go out. Too much to do here anyway

Old 06-16-2013, 04:46 PM

1,193 posts, read 2,389,507 times
Bake my own bread for my family of four. (I work fulltime and commute 3 hours a day; don't tell me you don't have time).
Try this recipe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living