Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2015, 02:47 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,370,522 times

Advertisements

I belong to both, but do 95% of my shopping at Costco. Not everything is cheaper, but a lot of things are a big savings. Also, the quality of the items they carry is better than Sams Club as a rule. They have good meat, and some of their frozen fish is less expensive. Their large bags of frozen fruit is a good buy, also large bags of frozen organic broccoli and other vegetables.

Their large size coffee beans are a bargain, paper products, rice, flour, sugar, CHEESE, hot dogs, bacon, buns, bread, and many frozen items. Their spices are a bargain, their dog kibble is very reasonable in the large 40 lb. bag., and their Kirkland milk bones are very reasonable, and you get a large quantity of them.

They also have some great buys on housewares stuff. Just bought the most adorable dish set there for $15. Nice large size dog beds for $19.99

Their vitamins, toothpaste, prescriptions etc. are a bargain. So are their large size cleaning products. I could go on and on. You just need to know what is a good price and what isn't. Just bought two LARGE planters there for $20 each, that are terrific. Going back tomorrow and hopping they have some left, so I can buy two more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 06:25 PM

80 posts, read 135,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpgtfc View Post
We also buy bulk chicken breasts, which for like 7 lbs runs 16 dollars. Wings and tenders are cheaper, but we like the breasts. I'm pretty sure even at wallmart breasts run about 2.99 a lb. So that saves us quite a bit in the long haul.
Both Food-4-less or Stator Brothers (and others in other areas) regularly have chicken breasts on sale for $1/lb. Whole chickens regularly on sale for $0.69/lb. Doesn't sound like Wal-mart nor discount clubs are that great a deal!

Old 03-23-2015, 08:49 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
We got a sizeable rebate on our new car through Costco's program. Well worth it.

Old 03-25-2015, 05:52 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
IT isn't much of a worth, using groupon/like deals you can get memberships for free these days

Well not free, but they give you a $50 gift card plus lots of food items when you go through them and it cancels out the cost of the membership

Old 03-25-2015, 09:30 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasttimes1 View Post
Both Food-4-less or Stator Brothers (and others in other areas) regularly have chicken breasts on sale for $1/lb. Whole chickens regularly on sale for $0.69/lb. Doesn't sound like Wal-mart nor discount clubs are that great a deal!
If you can get prices like that, then maybe it doesn't make sense. But I have never seen chicken at those prices where I live.

Old 03-25-2015, 09:36 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,828,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGAL76 View Post
Does shopping at Sam's or Costco save you a good amount of money? Is it really worth getting a membership vs shopping at Wal-mart or like SaveAlot? What are some of the reasons you shop there or don't?
Costco not only saves you $$... it has what is probably the best customer service in the retail industry. Disclaimer ... I don't own the stock or work there.

Old 03-25-2015, 10:05 AM
fzx

399 posts, read 511,824 times
Do not forget its food court. We visit it once every weekend. A quick meal for three for 10 bucks or so.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:14 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fzx View Post
Do not forget its food court. We visit it once every weekend. A quick meal for three for 10 bucks or so.
But it isnt much of a meal either. You get a lot of greasy bread? And a sugary carbonated water?

Old 03-26-2015, 01:59 AM

1,627 posts, read 3,217,528 times
I bought a executive card today from Costco. I will get back 3 percent on all purchases. I always spend enough to get back my membership card. I purchase all of my gasoline there. And I buy organic vegetables and fruit for 1/2 the cost than at Whole Foods. I bought this kit for $60 to detail my car for the next seven years. I bought organic peanut butter allot less than I can make it. It is just me.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:08 AM
fzx

399 posts, read 511,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
But it isnt much of a meal either. You get a lot of greasy bread? And a sugary carbonated water?
I have to admit that is true. However, the alternative is another pizza joint. Plus only my husband drinks soda once a week. I am ok with that as long as we eat balanced meals Mon-Friday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living