Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2015, 09:51 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,767,400 times

Advertisements

For COSTCO, yes. I make the fee back on dog food alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 02:36 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,924,369 times
I don't think Sam's Club is worth it.
I know my prices, and I can't see the draw to it.
Amazons prices are better than Sam's for all paper products. I compared the prices
of toilet tissue and paper towels and Amazon wins hands down. Cheaper for the same
brand name items.
Their shipping is free with Prime too, which I must have because I buy books. Books are heavy
and I get free shipping on everything.
I personally think Walmart is expensive. Everyone says the prices there are wonderful, I can't see
that either. I think they probably have decent sales, if you like junky stuff, but the food prices are high.
Mabey it's just me.
I have to make the money stretch as far as I can, so I am getting real picky on my prices.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:43 PM

42,867 posts, read 26,361,034 times
I'm not sure if the offer is over, but Groupon had a deal for a Sams Club membership- $45 for the plus membership (usually $100) they give you a $20 gift card and $25 worth of coupons for free food so the membership ends up being free. I talked to one of my neighbors who does the groupon offer every year, one year he signs up, the next year his wife does

Old 05-13-2015, 11:45 PM

42,867 posts, read 26,361,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
Amazons prices are better than Sam's for all paper products. I compared the prices
of toilet tissue and paper towels and Amazon wins hands down. Cheaper for the same
brand name items.
Their shipping is free with Prime too, which I must have because I buy books. Books are heavy
I personally think Walmart is expensive. Everyone says the prices there are wonderful, I can't see
that either. I think they probably have decent sales, if you like junky stuff, but the food prices are high.
Mabey it's just me.
I have to make the money stretch as far as I can, so I am getting real picky on my prices.
I agree about Walmart, their cleaning supplies packaged foods like cereal and cake mixes tend to be cheaper, but I think their meat is pretty awful and overpriced as is their produce.

Old 05-14-2015, 03:33 AM

26,194 posts, read 21,638,615 times
Costco too I'd worth it for me for their gasoline. The location is right by my house and on my way to/from work. They are cheaper and paying with my costco Amex gets me 3% cash back

Old 05-14-2015, 09:29 AM

17,403 posts, read 11,997,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Very odd they took back a year old piece of merchandise.
Not really. It gets someone back in to the store, where they will spend more money.

Old 05-15-2015, 01:51 AM

10,116 posts, read 19,429,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
brand name items.
Mabey it's just me.
Thanks! I will do price comparisons with amazon before renewing my Sam's membership. However, I do like Sam's for their meat prices. We buy sandwich meats, cheeses, roasts, chickens, and freeze. Perhaps Amazon for paper stuff, Sam's for meats?

So, we used to buy cat food at Sam's, until I started making my own. I got a Montiel Williams Healthmaster for Christmas and have been experimenting with it. whatever we don't like goes to he cats!

Old 05-15-2015, 02:14 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,047,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGAL76 View Post
Does shopping at Sam's or Costco save you a good amount of money? Is it really worth getting a membership vs shopping at Wal-mart or like SaveAlot? What are some of the reasons you shop there or don't?
I don't shop at these places. Everyone once in a while, I might be tempted.....but not enough to get a membership.

I suppose it could depend on how one eats. Looking at their site in grocery, two things. First of all, since I am not one for processed food, to have a freezer full of hors d'vers like my parents did, what they sell does not interest me. Secondly, after having two kitchens for a few years and money to invest in storeable food such as canned and dry goods, I now have a smaller kitchen with a pantry that looks like it's a fleet submarine going out on patrol. That is, enough food so I don't have to buy for a year if it came down to it.

If one does eat that much, if one does have that kind of storage, then it probably works out for them, but if not.....as I said, when I moved just a few weeks ago, I had bag after bag of flour left behind. The project of money, storage, and probably being a grocery shopoholic.

But this also comes down to a third point. Shopping for food for me is a pleasure. I like shopping local, like supporting my local industries, exploring for new places to get what I want. Hence, a shoe box store where I can get everything in one place..................probably is not a joy to me.

Old 10-03-2016, 11:53 AM

1 posts, read 718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGentry View Post
For those who don't know, Costco has a fantastic return policy. In fact, just this week we returned a tv "sound bar" we purchased about a year ago that recently stopped working. They refunded my money no questions asked, and we bought a new one.

Also, my glasses broke and were non-reparable. I took them to Costco since that is where I generally buy my glasses. The employee looked it up and noted I did not purchase them there as I had thought. He said if they were Costco glasses, he would have replaced them for free, even though they were two years old.

We love Costco!

Doesn't the Costco's 90 day return policy for Electronics apply to Sound bar also?

Old 10-03-2016, 06:41 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,384,431 times
Earlier this year I finally broke down and got hearing aids. I paid $2,600 for them and I have the executive membership. That alone saved me several thousand dollars over what I would pay with a local supplier.

I also get a prescription medication for all 3 of my dogs and I save about $35.00 a month over buying locally.

I just took delivery on a 65" Samsung TV and saved $50.00 on the purchase price, $70 on the shipping fee and $10 on the 3 year extended warranty over what it would have cost from Wal-Mart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living