Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 05:11 PM

7,496 posts, read 7,190,021 times

Advertisements

Can you believe today, 80'.

Nearly 25' above average...cannot ask for a better day.

Not familiar with Quantum Light spray...what is it?

BTW, check out my latest thread:

My Lawn, My Rose Bushes, and My Flowering Perennials - March/April 2017

Looking to track things more on a monthly basis of what is going on in the lawn...feel free to share your thoughts there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Reston, my backyard is starting to grow like crazy, thickening up and very green, while my front is basically still acting dormant. Strange because the front gets slightly more sunlight, and same fescue seeds for both. Only thing I can really think of is that Quantum Light I sprayed on the back yard a couple of weeks ago. Haven't done the front (yet). I'm beginning to wonder if this stuff isn't the real deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 09:42 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,532,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Hey, do you have grass showing yet after that warm day we had 2 days ago?
Nope. My grass is still dormant "hay" at this point.

Had some perennials poke up, but the recent snow and freezing weather damaged them. As I type right now, it's in the 40's and pouring. Still snow/ice in the yard, and it's dipping under freezing at night. No sign of spring just yet...

Old 03-27-2017, 12:21 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,561,846 times
Quantum Light and Quantum VSC are microbial inoculators that basically, as I understand it to be so far, are soil amendments that return the good spores and mircrobiological elements to the soil. Helpful if soil has been overly chemicalized with pesticides and whatnot. The VSC has something that helps to break down compacted soil. They say use both for the full effect. I put down just the Light version in my back yard a few weeks ago (didn't have the VSC yet). This past weekend, I put down both together everywhere in the yard, mulch beds, flower beds, and tree areas. Basically hosed the place down. Stuff stinks like heck at first, but quickly goes away. Just a hose dial sprayer is needed. Fill it up the bottle, set the dial, and spray it down.

Now, if it works or not, we'll see. But reviews and pictures online seem to strongly suggest it works very well.

I'm battling chickweeds at the moment like crazy. After putting down the Tzone SE, Drive, and Tenacity last Tuesday, the chickweeds are now turning a lighter color as they begin to die off. I can now see them better in the lawn, and man what a huge mess in the back yard. They're everywhere! I suspect another round of Tzone is likely needed to make sure they're really dead, dead, and dead. We'll see how they look later in the week. If not looking dead, then I'm hitting them harder.

Bought the grass seed this past weekend from S. States. Starting to hunt and gather my supplies now. But probably still a few weeks away before I can put them out. Neighbor of mine has been following my advice this year for her lawn, and has put out her meals and seeds this past weekend. I sure do hope they have the same kind've success I had last year, because she's apparently told nearly 30 others in the neighborhood about this recipe. So, if I'm wrong, I'm in trouble!

Old 03-29-2017, 07:38 PM

Interesting stuff with Quantum.

Have you used Leafgro?

Amazing organic matter that appears to have a tremendous impact on the turf.

I have used it before in the late spring, but instead this year going with Lesco 5-0-20 with iron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Quantum Light and Quantum VSC are microbial inoculators that basically, as I understand it to be so far, are soil amendments that return the good spores and mircrobiological elements to the soil. Helpful if soil has been overly chemicalized with pesticides and whatnot. The VSC has something that helps to break down compacted soil. They say use both for the full effect. I put down just the Light version in my back yard a few weeks ago (didn't have the VSC yet). This past weekend, I put down both together everywhere in the yard, mulch beds, flower beds, and tree areas. Basically hosed the place down. Stuff stinks like heck at first, but quickly goes away. Just a hose dial sprayer is needed. Fill it up the bottle, set the dial, and spray it down.

Now, if it works or not, we'll see. But reviews and pictures online seem to strongly suggest it works very well.

I'm battling chickweeds at the moment like crazy. After putting down the Tzone SE, Drive, and Tenacity last Tuesday, the chickweeds are now turning a lighter color as they begin to die off. I can now see them better in the lawn, and man what a huge mess in the back yard. They're everywhere! I suspect another round of Tzone is likely needed to make sure they're really dead, dead, and dead. We'll see how they look later in the week. If not looking dead, then I'm hitting them harder.

Bought the grass seed this past weekend from S. States. Starting to hunt and gather my supplies now. But probably still a few weeks away before I can put them out. Neighbor of mine has been following my advice this year for her lawn, and has put out her meals and seeds this past weekend. I sure do hope they have the same kind've success I had last year, because she's apparently told nearly 30 others in the neighborhood about this recipe. So, if I'm wrong, I'm in trouble!

Old 04-08-2017, 06:25 AM

Grass still dormant?

Growing strong here, time for another cutting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post

Had some perennials poke up, but the recent snow and freezing weather damaged them. As I type right now, it's in the 40's and pouring. Still snow/ice in the yard, and it's dipping under freezing at night. No sign of spring just yet...

Old 04-09-2017, 05:53 AM

83,540 posts, read 75,390,209 times
Quote:

I was going to throw Lime down and Weed and Feed yesterday and post in here; but with temps dropping to 30s and no rain in sight I am postponing it. We have to be careful throwing Crabgrass and stuff down. People jump the gun and do it too soon then get screwed because it's not effective with the cold temps. Trees are still look bare here (but have buds on them).

Snow finally melted all last week and with all the rains we got the grass is starting to green up nicely now. 60s and 70s coming this week so good chance to do more stuff out.

It feels like winter has been 20 yrs long. So tired of it now. Still using firewood for heat. Check out the temps this morning. 30s down to Georgia. Below normal all over the Eastern U.S including Virginia and Florida as well. Ugh.

Old 04-09-2017, 01:59 PM

As mentioned previously, only making it more important for everyone to monitor the soil temps in their location.

Check Your Soil Temp Here

Given the difference in location from your place to mine we are several weeks apart in seasons.

A month ago temps here warranted getting crabgrass preventer down with soil temps regularly in the mid 50s with daily highs in the upper 70s. Even checked with other turf management experts in the area and they agreed. Had a couple cool snaps since but temps back to 80' again tomorrow.

So glad I got my crabgrass preventer down when I did as I would rather be safe than sorry whe it comes to crabgrass.

2nd application, as recommended comes late next month to have full summer coverage.

I would AVOID combo products that have nitrogen and weed killer all in one. Actually proper fertilizing cool season grasses would have avoiding any nitrogen in the spring. If fertilized properly, nitrogen fertilizers should be applied multiple times for deep root development (in my area, this starts in late August if not seeding, going into November).

For weed control, which should be minimal with proper turf management, spot treat as needed.

Learning to apply the proper products, along with at the right time, is crucial for successful turf management.

Quote:

Old 04-09-2017, 07:59 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,561,846 times
I'm back in business now. Mowed today for the first time this year. Quite happy with how the lawn has survived the winter. Put down 7 bags of soybean meal and 4 bags of alfalfa meal, each 50lb bags. Put down 3 bags of premium tall fescue and one bag of shade fescue. Hosed it all down with root master B1. Chickweeds should be gone in another week.

I'm happy to say that I can pass the golf ball test already in two areas that have become so dense that the mower struggled to bag it all.

Also relocated 21 boxwoods, and planted 30 golden mop tops and 30 wax leaf privet shrubs this weekend and brought the sprinklers back online. Off to the races now.

Tomorrow morning is going to suck. I am feeling every 43 year old bone in my body tonight, and they are all hurting.

Old 04-09-2017, 08:45 PM

346 posts, read 551,337 times
Why not fertilize cool season grasses in the spring? Aren't their growing seasons fall and spring and those are the best time to feed? I thought it's summer that you want to cut down on the nitrogen to help prevent fungus attacks.

Anyways, I put down my first feeding and pre-emergent for crabgrass on Feb 28 so will do a second pre-emergent treatment around mid-May. Lawn looked great for our annual Easter Egg hunt for the kids this weekend, everything is deep green and lush. Applied Lime to the front yard today, but ran out before I got to the backyard. Will apply first Milorganite next week and every 6 weeks thereafter. Dylox in June while the grass is dormant. Pray for rain throughout.

Old 04-10-2017, 03:55 AM

83,540 posts, read 75,390,209 times
Quote:

I bet its finally looking and feeling like spring now, no? Don't get caught with pants down though. We aren't safe till mid May. We can still get a cold blast and drop to freezing or frost at night. I wonder when I'll be mowing the lawn for first time. Maybe couple weeks since we got 7 days in a row above 60 now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden